M*CARBO Brotherhood

Surplus Gun Thread

I’m trying to buy one. Have it in my cart and waiting on FFL approval.
The one I’m getting is Romanian TT-33. Very nice condition by the pics.
I’ve read through lots of arguments about Yugo vs Romanian in the past.
No need to go there again. I’ve already chosen the version I want.
But what do you all think of the platform, in general?

I’m planning on getting a Yugo, later down the road, if I like this one.
Then probably a CZ82. And finally a P-64. Maybe some others, after that.

8 Likes

yep got a early Russian TT-33 in 7.62X25 TOK only drawback is the ammo available, and cheapest ive found is 34 cents a round. i cant load it for much difference. plus there is a lot of hard primer corrosive, steel case ammo out there, I dont use it. I broke a firing pin on it, haven’t used it since, almost got rid of mine, but ive got a liking for Russian handguns, (EDC work gun is a Makarov with a Fab defense griP) so i give your choice a thumbs up!

7 Likes

Not the same as the ones your talking about I know , but this CZ-52 has a bit of the same lineage, coming from an Eastern Block country and required to share the same russian /soviet ammo.

@GOBLIN Your right on the ammo. I don’t use any steel/hard primer stuff either.
This box of 85gr FMJ was approx. a 20-22 bill out the door locally, only 1 place stocks it, and only 2 boxes at a time.

11 Likes

@jeffing65

I ‘really’ appreciate the fine detail that goes into all these firearms. I ‘get’ the reasons why those wish to collect all of these relics, as well. However, personally I would not want the expense and ‘leg work’ tracking down all that ‘odd ball’ ammunition just to pull a ‘piece’ out of my collection to shoot it every so often and turn a few heads… I guess that is what really separates the ‘true’ firearm collector, from a ‘little guy’ like me who enjoys shooting? Through this BROTHERHOOD of ours I have come to another ‘addictive’ hobby… Building these firearms from an 80% platform! I have a ‘true admiration’ of those who actually work with metallurgy and take these firearms from a whole other stratosphere! Blessings to all those who ‘experiment’ with their God-gifted talents!

7 Likes

@lonewolf I’m guilty of collecting all kinds of antiques and pieces of history.
The expense might prohibit shooting a large amount of rounds as an all the time shooter, but it is still nice to shoot something different or less common once in a while. And the 7.62x25 has a punch. I don’t shoot it any less than many of my other every day shooter calibers (.22, .223, .308, 30/06, .40 s&w).

7 Likes

@jeffing65

My body does not handle ‘a punch’ too well, anymore! :grinning: I know ‘ballistically speaking’ one wishes it for stopping power, but I must admit that I ‘grimmice’ every time the inertia is felt with a higher caliber firearm. The mafia, back in the day were notorious for using .22 firepower. Personally, I enjoy the round for several other reasons, the biggest being expense to shoot. Let’s not get into the discussion of .223/.556 winks. I use my Glock 17 Gen 4 for carry but to plink 100+ rounds and go about my day ends up being a bit too much for me. Is that being a wuss or just respecting an aging body? :grinning:

7 Likes

I have a box of these in my cart as well.

5 Likes

Sellier &Bellot is good ammo, boxer primed, brass cased, a lil dirty but easily re-loadable into better. I shoot quite a bit of it… cycles the TOK nicely, good group, but remember it is hardball.

5 Likes

I’m not really thinking in terms of a collection, just satisfying my curiosity in these Commie Bloc relics.
All though, it could become a real collection if I like these firearms enough to venture further into it.

As for ammo, I imagine that 50 round box lasting me a good while. I’ll shoot 20-25 rounds immediately.
Then it will be seldom outings with it. A couple shots here and there, for the curiosity of others. LoL
The “deal” above is roughly .40/round, which I don’t have a problem with, for no more than I’ll use it.

6 Likes

thats what i thought about the nasty old Makarov I picked up. then Piece here and there, 2 different grips, 4 different coatings, 3 different holsters, and now 3000 rnds in standby and loading underwoods, for the 9X18 round LOLOL did i also add i picked up a spare barrel in 380, threaded, and a barrel press, just in case? to me, Steel guns feel more at home in my hand,I like the weight and balance.
and Russians are , addictive…

7 Likes

@ValorSolo I’m betting they will grow on you. They have their own unique charm. I really enjoy mine and it has a really nice feel in the hand like Buck said. The only thing I don’t like about my cz52 is the safety. The decocker in particular was iffy and unreliable, even when new, and should in no way be relied on or trusted.

As @GOBLIN said, and I agree, Sellier &Bellot is good ammo. I have had good performance and consistency with all I have shot. I have had only one round fail to fire, from apparently a bad primer, which can happen with any ammo of any quality from any manufacturer.

They are about the cz52 and don’t apply directly to the firearms your looking at, but here is a couple links you might find interesting just for academic purpose.

https://www.makarov.com/cz52/

7 Likes

@jeffing65 @ValorSolo Tactical Scorpion Gear also makes a decent set of grips for the TT-33 depending on when yours was imported, and if the US safety mod was done to it for import( can be undone and put back to original, Like Jeff said, some of the safety changes are better changed back to original half cock safety on the TT33s and all their Variants… the mods for import safety were lackadaisical at best. the original worked flawless. you need parts sources, let me know… got a full list of variants with part interchangeability as well.

7 Likes

@jeffing65 @GOBLIN Thanks for the info. I will have plenty of reading to do.
And will definitely need parts sources before too long. Not sure what I’ll need yet.

I had a SIG P226 in 357SIG in my cart at a tremendous deal, along with the TT.
It was a great deal but it was gonna kill my plans to get a P320 Carry in 357SIG.
So I replaced it with a very nice CZ82. Now I’ll be getting the Tok and the Mak.

7 Likes

Mak, this grip brother. right or left. Ive got the righty, and the lefty is on order. moves the mag release to thumb /normal. freakin phenomenal. fast on change out.
www.zahal.org FAB DEFENSE P-MG MAKAROV PM/PMM pistol grip with magazine release mechanism

8 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks

6 Likes

TT33 great gun. Fantastic round. Packs a punch. My experience with cz52 wasn’t so good.

Makarov great guns. You’ll have fun. I just realized that sticking with 9mm much easier.

That aftermarket grip fantastic. The makarov can be an accurate gun as the barrel is fixed.
Te beaver tail on that grip will make the makarov even better.
The sights are very small so after market sights are a must.

This web page had been around for years and has great info.

I used to have an East German makarov late 80’s

https://www.makarov.com/

8 Likes

Order has been placed. Tok, Mak, Anderson Sport AR Upper (Slick Side), 2x 50 rounds boxes of Mak and 1x 50 rounds box of Tok ammo. Shipping cost was ridiculous, but still under $660 for all of it. I’m very happy right now.

7 Likes

sounds like a excellent deal brother, post pics when it units come in.

6 Likes

@ValorSolo That’s a nice order list. :ok_hand:
I’m having a vision…I foresee… fun in your future. :grin::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Your going to enjoy shootin them. Cant wait for range report. I predict the Mak is going to be your keeper.

7 Likes