M*CARBO Brotherhood

Suggestions For EDC Knife?

I had my M&P knife for 13 years and lost it this year, anyone have a suggestion for a good EDC? I use my EDC knife a LOT so I’d rather not have something too expensive or too gaudy, I was debating whether I should go back to a butterfly or stay with a spring assist.

1 Like

What’s too expensive for you?

I’d say anything over 50

I’ve had amazing luck with my cold steel tanto recon 1 knife. It cuts like a dream and a buddy of mine used the same exact knife when working on the c-130’s. They also have knives under $65, so Id check it out to see which style you may like and go from there. It also depends on what your intentions are. If you plan on cutting rope or wood, get one with a serrated edge. But if it’s to just cut boxes, paper or maybe shoe lace then go for a smooth blade

2 Likes

Well, my EDC needs to do everything, it doesn’t have to excel at everything but I have cut fish, wood, paper, etc. anything I come across that needs cutting…

1 Like

@Omnivious I carried a good old Buck 110 for most of my time in the Coast Guard. It never let me down. Cut every thing I asked it to. Never any rust even out at sea. I don’t think they make one with a spring assist , I could be wrong , been a lot of years . Just checked my email and found this ad. In case you wanted something a little more tactical.

3 Likes

Imho the absolute best knife on the planet under $50 is the Ontario Rat II. They’re like $36 but quality of like $150. Absolute dream knife.

5 Likes

I carry a blade and a multitool. Blade is a Benchmade butterfly; Multitool is presently a Leatherman Signal but it gets swapped out with a Leatherman Charge Ti or another Leatherman from time to time. I’ve repaired countless Harleys on the side of the road with the Leathermans.

2 Likes

Utility knives are great but when you’re out in the mountains, I don’t think it’ll cut what I’m trying to cut…

1 Like

@Omnivious You got that right, I’m usually cutting boxes or bags. In the woods, I got bigger stuff but not for EDC.

2 Likes

@Omnivious Here’s that Ontario Rat ll that Kona suggested. On Ebay for $27.50. Great lookin knife, slim with a clip…gotta get one myself.s-l400

6 Likes

@dave67 you won’t regret it. It’s perfect!

3 Likes

6 Likes

What size blade is that @Kona?

2 Likes

I like something that can do everything, maybe not the greatest at everything but just enough when it comes to my EDC, I have a utility knife that I used to have when I worked at a liquor store and I love it for the job but not EDC.

$21.63, I think this may be a winner…

2 Likes

another vote for RAT-1, but i opted for the D-2 variant instead of the AUS-8.both are solid knives. best bang for the buck. D2 with carbon fiber scales cost me right at 49$ and change.
Knifecenter has the RAT-1 in D2 for $39.95 in Green,Coyote,pink,Desert Tan nylon scales.
www.knifecenter.com

4 Likes

Anyone have any experience with the bear and son 114? I think I’m gonna pick one of those up
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bear-Son-Tanto-Butterfly-Knife-Blue--36651

1 Like

not bad quality, just keep in mind its a combat or "Chisel Grind"on the edge. they call it a flat. I like Dalton’s butterflies, but as he retired, the price went thru the roof…

1 Like

Well, as the reviews go, there doesn’t seem to be anything in the price range with as good a review… please,I’m hoping that someone says I’m wrong and points me in another direction! I’ve been without a butterfly for about 10 years and the one I had was confiscated by the police because my crazy ex tried to kill me with it. :flushed::crazy_face:

1 Like