M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub2K tip off optic mount

I’m mounting a CT green dot on my weapon. I have the optic mount. Once I have the optics zeroed…am I able to remove it from the mount and remount it later and will it hold the zero?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Confused. The Mcarbo mount allows you to fold without compromising zero. If you also want to remove the optic, why use the mount?

7 Likes

There are times when I need the optic off for reasons I won’t go into.

Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Dennis.

The answer is “It depends”. The QD must be tight - no wiggle, no shifting - and it must be put back exactly where it was when you took it off. Even then it’s no guarantee it will be exactly on. It will probably be close but a hair’s difference means a lot when you’re reaching out 100 yards or more. When you mount an optic of any kind, make sure it’s sitting flat on the rail and push it forward in the slot as far as it will go so when the gun recoils it won’t shift.

6 Likes

@dennisjaecks welcome to the forum dennis

2 Likes

What’s the point of having the optic mount if you’re not going to use it like it’s intended purpose?! Once you take your optic off, you will have to re-zero it.

4 Likes

I cant speak for that, but being heavily involved in the prototyping industry, plus having altogether too many hobbies…
I interpret “intended purpose” very loosely, most items that fall through my field of existence are almost instantly re-classified by their"potential purpose". However, I’m a wierdo.

2 Likes

Just to be a little clearer from my original statement… If you’re going to run an optic on a rifle like the Sub9mm leave it on, it’s not an AR where you can take an optic off willy nilly and don’t usually have to worry about zero. I have four of these Sub9mm all with a red dot optic and have never taken them off, one Gen1 & three Gen2’s.

2 Likes

Maybe @dennisjaecks is testing different red dots.

2 Likes

I would say, yes you have to re-zero every time you take the mount off. Plastic shifts when you tighten the screws, plus the mount has a little wiggle room too.

3 Likes

Actually that’s partially true. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 and a Crimson Trace CTS-103 but that’s not the main reason.

3 Likes

I was concerned how I was going to protect the Sub while down by the border. It won’t fit in my Voodoo Tactical case with the optic mounted. It will get bounced around and dusty in the backseat of my Maverick X3 so need to protect it.
I think I’ve solved the problem. Bought a Rigid 22" Gear Organizer and bought some 2: foam…lined the top and bottom so problem solved. But will miss the external ammo pouches on my Voodoo case.

4 Likes

phuzz42 gave you good advice.

I’ve got a Gen 2 Sub and do what you are looking at, this after being disappointed with the MW Industries rotating mount’s inability to hold zero. My unit barely held paper at the distances I was shooting.

The Sub is not a bullseye gun. There are several reason but it’s mostly the looseness of the rail/hand guard and barrel and the hookup between lower and upper receivers. Doesn’t mean it’s not a nice gun. I really like mine.

It is combat accurate up to N yards, depending on what ammo you use (or it likes). Combining a quality QD mount and optic of choice is actually a pretty practical solution for the gun.

Take a flat file and “level” top of rail only where you will use your QD mount. That helps consistent mounting and remounting, plus the rail top is not flat but actually peaked. Think you will like the results.

2 Likes

The Apache Case from Harbor Freight is inexpensive, built like a tank, and can hold quite a bit in addition to the S2K. Just watch how you orient it since you want the optic mount and dot on the bottom per the pics below.

3 Likes

What kind of mount are you using? If it is a quick disconnect mount on the top of the rail you need to flatten the crown on the top. This way it will fit flat & not wobble. Next pick a spot on the rail you want it to sit. Once you sight it in always put it back in the same spot. This has always worked for me.

It’s the MCarbo flip off mount.

Hi Brotherhood – Is absolutely everyone finding the need to file their pic rail flat for consistent mounting of a RDS? Mine appears flat to my pretty lousy eyesight, and seems to hold approximate zero. But I’m a pretty crummy shooter. Think I should bust out the file?

3 Likes

Mine has never been filed. I’d replace a crap mount with a decent mount before I filed off the peak. Picatinny was conceived to locate based on the peaked edges and the void space. If a mount locates on the top of the rail, it is crap.

Lots of mounts are compromised so they can claim to work on weaver and 1913. These are definitely different solutions that require different mounts.

5 Likes

I have only dismounted and shot my Red dot thrice so far, and without filing still seems to shoot close enough that i cant call it a problem. I do have QD on the RDS mount, and its set really tight.

3 Likes

Same here. In fact, my red dot is zeroed for all 3 guns I put it on - I don’t have to re-zero it if I move it to a different gun.

3 Likes