M*CARBO Brotherhood

SUB2000 Tear Down Update

That is very good to know, I will have to keep an eye on the light strikes, does anyone know the round count to the OE springs before they start failing? Just curious to know and if there’s a down side to the lighter pull weight, I personally don’t mind changing the springs out as long as it’s not wearing out inside 2000 rounds, that’s a wearing part on all firearms and I usually keep back up springs anyway.

5 Likes

@Omnivious not sure. I didn’t have my OEM springs in very long before I swapped out. I’m not even putting them back in. My Sub Is sitting on the kitchen table in a pile of parts until the new MCARBO springs arrive. Haha. Wife was like “what is all this?!” Chillllll it’ll be gone soon :joy:

5 Likes

That’s the lowest I’ve heard of so far.

2 Likes

I am at 1500 rounds and no light strikes. I only use federal champion ammo FMJ 115gr when shooting at the range. trigger pull started at 10# before the springs and is @ 5# with the spring kit.

3 Likes

I installed the MCarbo spring kit & started to see a lot light strikes. I put the OEM hammer spring back in and problem solved. But trigger pull still just a hair over 5 lbs. My two cents.

3 Likes

@TommyTwoGuns I hear ya but I’ve shot 1000s of rounds with MCARBO springs and no issues. I’d like to get back to that without having to go back to OEM.

3 Likes

I don’t think the hammer spring really effects the trigger pull that much, I will have to find out when I fire mine, @Kona, do you leave your hammer cocked when storing or is it in the forward position, I was just thinking if it’s left with the bolt open, it may cause the spring to be stressed more although we are supposed to be able to leave the bolt open for storing, right?

2 Likes

I’m up to around 1500 rounds on my MCARBO spring kit with no issues. I’ve never had a hammer spring fail on any firearm. I guess I’ll find out when I get to a mega 5000+ round count on it.

4 Likes

@Omnivious chamber flagged

3 Likes

@Kona, so that would mean the hammer is in the cocked position correct? Can someone who has 2 s2k test out this theory? I don’t think it’s going to change my mind on how I keep mine but it may preserve the hammer spring longer if you have the hammer in the forward position with bolt closed, perhaps the spring should be a bit stronger even if we give up some pull weight…:thinking:

2 Likes

Everything I keep reading about modern springs like mag springs say it doesn’t matter if you keep the spring under tension or not. The age old argument of needing to rotate mags to allow the springs to “rest”. It’s actually using the springs and compressing/uncompressing them is what wears them out.

6 Likes

I’m definitely not a metallurgist, but it depends on the metal used to make the springs, I don’t know what mcarbo uses for their spring but stronger metal is not necessarily better for springs, you want to use a high heat relatively soft metal for the spring so that the spring retains it’s tension after repeated compression and staying compressed, I hope mcarbo can get to the bottom of this if this is an issue that comes up regularly, I keep all my OE parts so I always have back up if I need it😁

1 Like

I didn’t say “stronger springs/metal”. I said “modern springs”. And, even not so modern. People have found 1911 mags loaded since WWII and they functioned fine. And, this isn’t a knock on MCARBO, but I did a lot of reading up on the SUB2000 before and after getting mine and I can’t recall reading about a single instance of a stock hammer spring going bad and causing light strikes. I’d think MCARBO’s hammer spring is at least as good as stock, if not better.

3 Likes

@Wedge I wasn’t trying to imply that you said it was a stronger spring, that was just out of my brain. I think any aftermarket part is going to have some kinks to work out and performance parts are higher maintenance by nature, all the competition shooters I know of change their springs regularly to keep their firearm from having malfunctions and functioning smoothly, I’ll chalk this up to that but if mcarbo can correct it, or come out with another hammer spring just for longevity, I’d probably buy it.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. There isn’t nearly enough history with any of the MCARBO springs to really make any solid observations on longevity.

I’d like to know how many rounds were test fired when doing the R&D for each of these springs.

4 Likes

I kinda thought that’s why we were all here. To provide feedback and detailed observations about our MCARBO parts and performance haha. I’m not gonna say too much more about the springs until I get the new ones and test them. I can definitively say I’ve used the same ammo in all my guns for years with minimal issues. I’ve shot 1000s of rounds on MCARBO springs with no issues and have only recently seen a rapid decrease in function which leads me to believe something is wearing out. If something broke then it would stop working altogether.

4 Likes

It absolutely is, but there just hasn’t been enouth time/use on these springs to make any conclusive observations, decisions, etc.

4 Likes

@wedge to your point about not seeing any hammer spring failures online, I’d like to think I’m putting way more miles on these parts than the average joe haha

4 Likes

@Wedge no lol you’re good. I just meant that’s what we’re doing here. Data gathering and analysis.

4 Likes

That ain’t no lie, for sure. In fact, you have one of the highest round counts I’ve seen claimed on a SUB2000. I can’t recall seeing any other reports with them being much beyond the 5000 round mark. I know I haven’t seen anything about one with 10,000 rounds or more. And, you did that in a relative short amount of time, too!

5 Likes