M*CARBO Brotherhood

SUB2000 Spare Mag Holder?

Lets bring all of the SUB-2000 Spare Mag Holder ideas over to this thread.

Let me know what you guys think of this option. Just got this suggestion via email this morning.

Hi-Point already makes a dual spare mage holder that goes on both sides of the buttstock. We could easily incorporate something like this at a reasonable price point. Don’t really want to offer something that anyone could just mock up themselves as it seems pointless.

This dual clip option could be designed to fit onto the buttstock, forend or possibly the bolt tube? Just throwing this out there for you guys to chew on.

We’ve had a lot of solution ideas come this way to solve the same problem. Haven’t seen one yet that we have all been able to agree on.

Let’s see if we can come up with something that makes sense and most can agree on.

Simpler is usually better and always less costly to manufacture which makes for a lower retail price.

Spare%20mag%20holder spare%20mag%20holder%202

9 Likes

simpler the better. less parts to hangup moving thru the weeds, something that sits nice and tight to the buttstock. maybe something like a lever lock on a HK 93 magazine clamp
to put tension on and make easier to remove…they similiar on the MP5 clamp as well.

maybe something like this attached to the tube, to where it would clear the bolt… lever down to lock and unlock… its still early (this is my sunday ,Jogged work week,) so im still a lil slow…

4 Likes

Yes! Spare mag holder is one of the ideas I came to MCARBO to fulfill. Something on the lower forend. Rail mounted or incorporating the Optic Mount. Would change the profile of the S2k and bump up its firepower significantly.

3 Likes

Another great spot would be extended version of the new buttstock pad wide enough to accept a spare mag.

(Secretly hoping for a longer pad I got arms like a freakin gorilla :gorilla:)

5 Likes

@Boomchucker 1 on that JB .WITH A EXTENSION i wouldn’t have to go into origami mode to find a sight picture…:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

I seem to recall an idea about a more friendly buttstock that incorporated an additional mag holder, that be were it’s at imo. Now we’re is my “take my $” gif

4 Likes

Yeah there was a 3D render posted at one point. That’s also my vote, even if it’s a bit more than what Chris just posted. It improves ergonomics and gives mag storage.

That said I’d open to any good product that stores a reload on the gun. I just liked that best. The dual mag option is interesting. Maybe a pic rail mount? It could mount to the bottom of the foreend and straddle a mag on either side.

If you made the reverse side a pic rail, that could still allow for the mounting of a light or grip too.

Seems like you’re leaning towards something simple though.

6 Likes

Hello Brotherhood!

Long time lurker … first time poster … have been busy installing all my latest M*CARBO parts over the past week.

As a spare mag holder, I definitely have an opinion on the topic because I custom modded a spare mag holster in a side saddle configuration for my .40 cal and 9mm subbys.

I have them positioned where there is no interference with folding action. In my hacked up version the magazines are only held with tension … so these are not what I would call combat ready :wink: They are secure enough for home defense and range play.

Personally, I would love to see a production version of this solution perhaps with a positive magazine retention catch/release similar to that built into the handgrip.

.40 cal with side-saddle mag carrier

9mm with side-saddle mag carrier

10 Likes

@savage

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood! “LURKING” is just too “LEARY” for me… Winks! It is time to come out of the closet, don’t you think, brother??? Enjoy your stay and happy shooting!!!

6 Likes

@ChrisNelson @savage. Welcome. I agree that seems to bes best solution as it does not interfere with rifle function and the most ergonomic expedient solution. Something that keeps the mag as snug as possible to the forehand and yet easily deployed.

5 Likes

I have watched some of the comments about subject. Of the mounts I’ve seen there is a lot of base setups to consider. For the Standard front hand guard setup I have to admit @savage yours is up there in my book. My choice basic choose is a good two mag slip on belt carrier.

2 Likes

Yes mine is just a plastic mag holster where I milled the center out to fit a pic rail. A M-Lok attachment could probably get a closer fit but would not be as universal. For example in my photo one of them is attached to a red lion foreend that would not take a m-lok

1 Like

In the spirit of pure simplicity – perhaps a simple machined adapter to attach the Blackhawk Double Stack magazine pouch to the M-LOK rails is a fast, simple and easy solution. I’m using a M-LOK attached pic rail on my Sub2K but the magazine pouch has to be milled and filed to fit on a pic rail, not something that most users would probably go to the effort for. However, a custom mounting plate could be made to accept these magazine pouches.

On the plus side, the magazine pouch is cheap and already available in multiple colors. The tension retention is ok for Glock mags; however I added additional adhesive backed felt strips inside the pouch for greater tension for the larger heavier happy sticks. Another plus is the pouch would be easily removable while the mount stays (unobtrusively) on the gun for situations where an extra mag carrier is not needed/wanted.

On the negative side, it’s not a locking retention system, so it’s not as “professional” as a complete solution would be.

I would be happy to provide detailed close up photos of the original Blackhawk retainer clip if there is any interest.

3 Likes

I have one of those la it ing around that may be my next mini project.

3 Likes

I LIKE YOUR IDEA FOR THE MAD HOLDER. SOME BORY ELSE CAME UP WITH THIS SANE IDEA. HE SHOWED HOW HE DID IT. I THINK THIS THE CORRECT WAY TO GO. NOBODY IS GOING IN TO COMBAT WITH A 9mm OR 40cal UNLESS YOU NO OTHER CHOICE. KEEP YOUR MIND GOING IT SHOWS THAT YOUR A THINKER GOOD FOR YOU.

4 Likes

You are correct … I’m not trying to take any credit for the original idea … I just implemented it and it worked out well :slight_smile:

I did this mod a couple of years ago … here is a YouTube that I think is the source that I followed. However I used a router to mill the plastic rather than a demel tool.

3 Likes

The more I have thought about it … the more I think simple M-LOK mag pouch mounting plate would make sense for M*CARBO. It’s just a single machined part with 2 M-LOK screws and retaining nuts. No moving parts. It could be mounted anywhere on either side (or both sides) of the stock forearm. The pouch is removable. The pouch is already available in multiple colors.

Perhaps more complex and complete magazine solutions could be implemented in the future but this would be a great solution for now with off the shelf parts (the actual magazine pouch).

I know manufacturers may not like to develop products that are 100% contingent on other manufacturer supplies, but perhaps some B2B relationship could be established to sell these mag pouches with the M*CARBO S2K adapter plates directly on the M*CARBO store. Also I’m sure the IP needs to be vetted to make sure the adapter plate does not violate any patents. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Savage, You just sparked some gray matter. Did you post some time ago using a aluminum piece were the M lock screws screwed through the mag holder & plate to hold it on the side of the rifle? I remember seeing a post like that. If you like we can talk, I have a secure phone # you can call so nobody else can get our numbers. I’m in the upper Midwest central time. Call leave your message & I will call you back 773-462-4701
Also if any body would like to get together for a Sub 2K shoot & bull session they can call also. So far we have 3 brothers getting together when we can.

2 Likes

Something as simple and inexpensive as the Twisted Industries gen1 mag holder.

2 Likes

Sorry, must have been another member. I wish I was in the midwest, I’d take you up on the S&B session :slight_smile:

1 Like