SUB2000...Serious PDW Or Just A Range Toy?

This is my biggest gripe against keltec. They have some good innovative products, but they keep making hodge-podge changes that screw up the aftermarket supply chain. I have a new KSG that uses the 6-slot barrel nut removal tool and an even “newer” KSG that need the older 4-slot tool!

Because of their modular assembly model changes and up grades are completely hit and miss. What works on one model may be completely usless on another and good luck in figuring out which is which!

And some of their changes make no sense or improve the firearm in any way.

I just don’t get it!

2 Likes

Wait…you bought the thread protector from Kel-Tec right?

3 Likes

Mine is threaded so that it fits only on the 5x32 and screws all the way down and leave the 1/2x28 completely exposed.

2 Likes

@Matt no I bought the Performance Services part that @dave67 recommended.

1 Like

I am not blaming anyone…stuff happens and mistakes are made! :fearful:

Just sharing this so no one else reads this thread and runs into my problem.
(Ordered the keltec thread protector.)

1 Like

@Johnksg I have the Red Lion front sight installed. I only recommended the PSM parts because I remember seeing those parts and you were talking about removing your sights. I had no idea that it would not fit (the part is made for front sight removel) and I feel bad about that.

2 Likes

Here is my thread protector from KT

3 Likes

3 Likes

So on my end, the Sub is a range toy that will eventually take a HD role. Shares mags with my duty gun (M&P 40).

One deficiency of choosing the M&P variant over a Glock model is mag capacity–in .40, you’re limited to 15 rounds. And as yet there’s not great way of storing a spare mag on the rifle, so I took a chance on the ProMag extended mag.

Reviews suggested it was good, or garbage, or garbage until you oiled the mag spring. I seem to have gotten a decent one–ran about 115 rounds through it at the range today without issue. Put weight on the mag, beat on it, etc, ran great. Also holds 30rds no problem, where it’s listed for 25.

Gonna test plenty more before I’d run it in HD mode. But it’s sturdy and seems solid, hopefully it’ll prove itself. In the mean time, I got to shoot twice as many rounds between reloads, which is awesome.

1 Like

@dave67 no worries brother, is my responsibility and my fault. It happens and I learned. I ordered a KT thread protector and all will be well.

I…hope! :scream:

2 Likes

@TheThreeLaws You can get 31 round .40 mags for Glock.

2 Likes

I’ve got the M&P though–I was saying the downside to that vs Glock is lack of factory fun sticks.

4 Likes

@TheThreeLaws Oh gotcha, I read it wrong.

3 Likes

No worries man. May get into the Glock world some day, just haven’t yet. Most of my experience is in my duty gun and training, and stock Glocks seem boring.

But can’t argue with the aftermarket and custom build opportunities.

3 Likes

ah forgot, my barrel has not been sent in for the recall, it could be possible that they did change this set up…

2 Likes

@Johnksg I have the Keltec OEM long thread protector. I’m no longer using it and it’s yours if you want it. Like new.

2 Likes

Thank you @Kona and @Matt I already ordered the KT part. if not I can always have a machinist cut & square it for me. But I sure do appreciate the offers and input.

Best thing about this forum is we share our success and mistakes.

My motto is when things go astray…blame @Wedge! :grin:

2 Likes

Aww, man, dafuq did I do now, Jarhead? I’m just the moderator/court jester/Navy punching bag here. :rofl:

4 Likes

@Wedge and you’re so good at it!:wink:

2 Likes

That’s what she said. :+1:

3 Likes