M*CARBO Brotherhood

SUB2000 Accuracy

Texrep I’m using the same mag that came with the rifle. My rifle uses the Glock mags. I do have Glock magazines. I’ve used them with the same results.

It is random in that it may shoot to the same point of aim or shoot a pattern. Lets say the first mag shoots a four inch group (10 shots) the next mag will shoot the first shot high right then the next shot low right then put one in the center of the target then the next shot low left. Gets frustrating but I’m going to figure it out. As I said I do not expect pinpoint accuracy but a consistent four to five inch group is what I’m looking for.

2 Likes

When you get it figured out, would you let the rest of us know in the event we ever have the same issue?

3 Likes

Yes I will post what I find so that it can maybe help others. It may take awhile because I don’t get to the range every day or week. You would think being retired I would have all kinds of time to do whatever I want. I tell folks that I have to go back to work to get some rest :smile:.

5 Likes

@MontanaCowboy Yea, being retired can be too hectic sometimes. :rofl:

2 Likes

GOBLIN you are smart to wait and do all of the parts replacement at one time, that is what I did.

If I were shooting a fist size 100 yd. group I’d be happier than a gopher in soft dirt. I haven’t tried shooting it at 100 yds. until I get a handle on my current shot pattern / group. Hey for all I know right now it could just be me but I have had another person shoot it who is what I consider a good shot and got the same results.

I’m going to shoot some Federal 124 GR. ammo and see what it does. I’m also going to load some 115 GR. bullets and the Hornady 115 GR. HAP bullets for comparison. I’m also going to try my bi-pod to see if it makes a difference.

The crown on the muzzle looks ok. I have re-crowned a few firearms with tools bought from Brownell’s .

4 Likes

@MontanaCowboy, sorry i missed the notification. What i read was to only snug the barrel nut down. On mine there is so much thread locker on the last quarter inch that i used channel locks to run it tight.
How i adjusted was to tighten it down, hold the forend in place by hand while closing the gun. If the nut is too tight, the trigger guard won’t close. I also highly recommend m*carbo trigger guard, i have mine right at where it doesn’t close in its own but snaps shut when i touch it.
If it’s closed and ready to fire, one hand on the forend and one on the grip, wiggle and check for play. Should be locked tight

2 Likes

Thanks for replying Gilligan369. I haven’t tried to tighten my barrel nut as the barrel appears to be tight. I would have to contact KEL-TEC to verify what their procedure is for torquing the barrel nut.

I did install the M*CARBO trigger gaurd along with other items for the S2K. I went over everything that I installed to make sure I did not install something incorrectly and all parts are installed correctly.

As promised I will report back after each range trip to let folks know what I did and if the results changed anything.

2 Likes

The secret to accuracy with the Sub2000 is to use good Bullets. With the use of 115 gr Hornady HAP Bullets you can shoot into1 inch at 50 yards.

11 Likes

Hi JT
I agree, this holds true with most gun’s. I have some 115 GR. HAP bullets that I recently purchased from Midway and will be loading some soon.

I see you used WW-231 and Red Dot powder and I have had good results with both in other gun’s.

That is a very good group at 50 yds.

3 Likes

Sounds like your red dot is moving around, or your scope is loose. My Sub 2000, 9mm is a very accurate rifle.

4 Likes

From what I’ve read, the polymer pic rail on the s2k is not the most stable when it comes to the shorter reflex sights, I’ve had no issues with my sightmark ultra qd, but it is kinda huge…

2 Likes

Have you checked to see if there is any play in the fore stock on the barrel? Mine had a tiny bit of play when I twisted it from side to side. I took it off and very lightly sanded each half so it tightened against the barrel before the edges came together. Doesn’t take much sanding and be sure to do both sides equally.

1 Like

Hi Denniscoon
I do not have a red dot sight on my rifle at this time. I ordered one and should be here soon. All of my shooting has been with open /peep sight. The sight I ordered is the Sig Remeo5 XDR.

1 Like

Hi jeffing65
My rifle does not have any discernible movement when locked into the firing position. Going to take the for arm off just to look and see that everything is in order. Even a tiny amount of play will make a big difference as distance increases .

3 Likes

Omnivious I haven’t got my red dot yet so I don’t know one way or the other. I think one person said that his rail was not flat but he said that he had sand it down to a flat surface but cautioned to go slow as he was able to remove material quite rapidly .

3 Likes

ok, that’s good. On mine when I first got it, if you held the grip, and then twisted the fore stock back and forth on the barrel, ( as if you were trying to turn the fore-stock around the barrel) there was just a tiny bit of play. It was very little but it was there. I dont think this was the case on all of them but it does happen.
If your is this way you will see the little bit of movement in it when you try twisting it back and forth.

2 Likes

I think this might be what is causing your problem. On the front sight, check to see if the screw that holds the sight pin tight has loosened up. I just checked mine and it has loosened again. I have had this problem before. This lets the pin wobble back and forth instead of staying solid in its set position and will make your group be random and inconsistant.

6 Likes

@jeffing65 I had the same issue. That screw holds the sight pivot block which is spring loaded and puts pressure against the windage adjustment screw. If screw was loose then sight would wobble, if screw was tight then block wouldn’t pivot. I ended up replacing it with an aftermarket stainless steel pivot block which allowed me to tighten it fully but it still be able to pivot with no wobble.

3 Likes

@dave67 I have had this problem from the beginning. When I first got mine I would need to tighten he screw after each mag. It would loosen up and shoot all over the map. I haven’t shot mine much recently and it somehow slipped my mind until today. I don’t know exactly when it last it became loose (the last time i shot it or if just vibration from traveling) but I shot 19 rounds through it today and it was all over the map again.
I didnt even remember the issue until I got back home (stupid on my part to forget) and started to look over everything. Sure enough, the screw was loose as a goose and the pin could rattle around like a rock in a box.
I can tighten my screw down tight and still turn the pin for adjustment. It will stop side to side motion for the most part but it still has some play if you push it forward.

3 Likes

@jeffing65 With your pivot block screw tightened down can the pivot block still move side to side? If not then you won’t be able to adjust windage, that was my issue. I completely forgot about this problem till you brought it up and it for sure can be an accuracy issue.

1 Like