Sub 2k: Shell getting stuck in barrel

Stay with brass ammo. All the others are coated to stop rust & corrosion… As a barrel heats up the coating transfers to the chamber, after awhile it will hold the cartage. Some time they will use lacquer, nobody knows.

5 Likes

I agree with the above recommendations. However, if you are stuck buying “bulk” ammo that is not individually packaged ( cartridge separation vs bagged or loose packed ), take some time and clean each cartridge with WD40 or similar cleaner, then pack them individually before loading your gun. It is possible that loose grit, metal, powder, gunk, got wedged into the chamber from the cartridges rattling around during shipping. Also, check your magazine feed lips for shavings or dirt from the ground.

5 Likes

Check spent casings that ejected cleanly. Do they have any odd bulges or marks? If so, your chamber wasn’t cut/reamed properly. If not, you need to polish the chamber.

5 Likes

That just isn’t true. There are multiple tests available to watch on youtube where this is debunked over and over and over again. While the steel cased ammo is coated to prevent rust, the coating won’t come off in the chamber. If it did, the former USSR wouldn’t have so many cartridges made with it. If you have coatings coming off in your chamber, you need to worry about the chamber, as brass is coming off in the chamber as well. This is purely a rough chamber or improperly cut chamber issue. It could be a gas issue, but it’s not likely.

3 Likes

@heavilyarmedbm any update?

2 Likes

I had similar problems with Browning 9mm training rounds. The shell casings were just a little too long and would not seat properly and also a few rounds that were “bulged”. Out of a 200 round pack, maybe 20-30 rounds had this issue. I would not rule out ammo as being the issue. I ran several thousand rounds through mine without cleaning and never once had the issue you are having.

4 Likes

Agreed! Definitely wouldn’t want that to happen in a serious situation. I will definitely seek professional advice about it

4 Likes

I’ll try that. Will be getting a polishing kit soon.

4 Likes

Thanks I will definitely check those things as well

4 Likes

Any update? Hope it’s figured out and fixed now.

2 Likes

Who makes Browning ammunition? I’ve seen it before, but never shot any.

3 Likes

Winchester. They have recalls for both Browning and Winchester ammo for “igniter” issues

4 Likes

Ok, might simply be that lot of ammunition, then.

4 Likes

It might be, but the 2 boxes I had were pre Covid.

4 Likes

I cheated and skipped to the end, but I agree with @Dred , the hs seems suspect. Have you checked the oad of the casing and bullet on any suspect rounds? Just a thought?
Also, what were the bullet weights?

3 Likes

So it happened to me today. Squib, reload but the powder wasn’t burnt. I pulled the case out with pocket knife.

8 Likes

Powder, type, maker and lot number please. Also, do you monitor the humidity at your reloading station? I shut down operations during the high humidity times of winter, like to see if it matters.

5 Likes

Heavilyarmed,

I’ve been a gunsmith for over 45 years. If there is a firearm component issue it’s more than likely an extractor, not an ejector, however, my guess is you may have a chamber issue. It’s either very dirty or is very rough. I have seen issues where an ejector is at fault (broken) and the fired case rides the bolt face back to the chamber and gets forced back into the chamber hard enough to make it hard to get out, but this is rare and if other fired rounds were ejecting, it’s probably not the issue.

3 Likes

@heavilyarmedbm
Did you pull ghe case? was it a squib like mine? unburned powder?

I will pull this tonight. Winter we have low humidity.

4 Likes

Thanks, perhaps primer info as well, if you don’t mind.

5 Likes