Sub 2k: Shell getting stuck in barrel

A couple time a shell has got stuck in the barrel while at the range. I have put approximately 200 rounds through it with happening about two different occasions. Why would this happen and has it happened to anyone else? Here’s a picture of the second time it happened.

6 Likes

Welcome @heavilyarmedbm When you get the case out try a “chamber check” with an unfired round to see how it feels and inspect the chamber. Might have to brush/clean the chamber if it’s fouled.

What type of ammo were you firing?

6 Likes

Hornady critical duty rounds I believe. Either those or Federal hollows. First time barely put 100 rounds through it. So weird that round shell wouldn’t eject, and just got stuck

5 Likes

Since the primer was struck… did the round fire?

First, you should exercise care removing it if the bullet is still there. Also check to see if there’s a squib round (bullet) stuck in the barrel. Failing to do that and firing another round can end badly.

If you are shooting reloaded ammo: It’s possible the casings that got stuck might be out of round or otherwise damaged. Or somebody didn’t reload the round correctly. If it’s new ammo most likely the gun is dirty. It could just be the lighting/flash but that S2K looks like it needs some love. I’d give it a good cleaning. Look for carbon built up in the breach. It should be slick and shiny inside all the way to the muzzle.

Boresnakes are fine for keeping a clean gun clean, but to remove an abundance of built up carbon you need a rod + bronze brush sized for 9mm barrels and powder solvent. Scrubbing with the brush will remove some copper fouling but if it persists, you need a copper solvent as well. After all that, oil the barrel with Ballistol. Lightly. I swear by it. It prevents rust for a short while and doesn’t cost a lot. Also non-toxic. But don’t drink it.

Also… take a look at your extractor. It might be worn out or damaged. Are you the first owner of the gun?

11 Likes

Yes it could definitely use a good cleaning! First time casing got stuck I may have been using reloaded ammo I picked up in bulk from a pawn shop. Second time it was definitely a quality round.

Although I’m not new to having firearms, I am new to taking care of the firearms I have now. I didn’t think I have put enough rounds through it yet for cleaning.

It could possibly be the ejector. But it has only been twice out 200 or so rounds. Also I was conscious of round possibly getting stuck in barrel. Has anyone else experienced this with their Sub 2K??

6 Likes

@heavilyarmedbm hello and welcome.
How hard was it to remove the case from the barrel? Did the round come out easily or difficult.
I am thinking
A) dirty
B) ejector
C) bulged shell from a reload

7 Likes

Both times casing was definitely hard to get out. I was sure round shot out and exited the barrel. It didn’t allow me to take another shot

5 Likes

@heavilyarmedbm Welcome to the forum Melvin. Not the best eyesight in the world but your primer looks cratered, possibly from an overloaded round? Also not familiar with the headstamp “E, L, - something”

7 Likes

If that is the case what can I do to fix that?

4 Likes

That headstamp is obscure.

So, I’m blaming ammo until you repeat the failure with first world, factory, brass cased ammo. PMC Starfire is not a benchmark quality ammo.

DDG search reaults included someone teying to sell an individual 9mm round based on the obscurity of the head stamp.

Many of us have been buying ammo like lonely men at last call. That is: we rush’m out before the lights come on and spoil our enthusiasm.

My prognosis: clean, inspect and feed her some factory (federal, cci, winchester, remington) brass cased and see how she responds.

14 Likes

I recommend to inspect, chamber check with good factory ammo….then with your other two ammo brands you’ve been using…then clean…and finally shoot some good ammo.

Very interesting…looking forward to seeing what happened in your gun.

9 Likes

MCARBO has a feed ramp polishing kit…Flitz Gun Polish and Feed Ramp Polishing Kit!. You might try cleaning the breach end with something similar.
Check the cases with a caliper if you have one.

9 Likes

Thank you @Dred for that info. Maybe they are obscure rounds that are doing this. As previously mentioned it happened 2 times out of 200-250 rounds

4 Likes

@cico7 i will try that. Thanks for the feedback

3 Likes

@MountainHunter you have been helpful! I’m curious as well. It is one thing for the casing not to eject but to pry forward into chamber is very strange to me

3 Likes

Maybe the reloads have Glock bulge ? Also, check your extractor isn’t damaged/bent.

4 Likes

Thanks @LuvMySub2k is the extractor visible if I pull bad charging handle?

4 Likes

The best way to examine the extractor is to strip down the rifle and pull the bolt.
However, non-extraction is a serious malfunction, so I suggest bringing it to a qualified gunsmith or speaking with M-Carbo support.

7 Likes

@heavilyarmedbm Here’s a Kel-Tec field strip video:

5 Likes

Agree. Pull the bolt out. If it looks peened over or looking worn I’d send it back to Kel-Tec. They will turn it just as fast as a local shop and it’s guaranteed. It’s possible the first jammed cartridge damaged the extractor.

5 Likes