M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub 2k safety diameter

All Things SUB-2000! Hi all, I reciently went to change out a GEN2, G17 SUB 2K to a G19 SUB2K. This way I could use G19 Mags. Keltec advised me all I needed was the plastic G19 pistol grip halves. I bought them and had them sent to me.

I ALMOST completed the conversion when I found out the cross bolt safety from the G17 model did not fit in the G19 grip halves, Does anybody know if the diameter of the hole for the safety on the G19 model is supposed to take a thinner safety. I did not want to try to enlarge the hole and get it out of round and I did not want to attempt to drill it out and get the hole size wrong. I am going to contact Keltec.

5 Likes

There has been safety hole discussion here, but i dont think any have addressed wrong hole size.
Some say oblong, or sloppy quality though. Definately call cust svc to verify, before drilling.

2 Likes

I tried to contact both Keltec and MCarbo all day and got no answer from either company. I could have had it shipped allready. Anyway, I will probably need to wait until after the New Years holiday, but I will keep on trying until I get through. This is not a poor fit issue, this is an it will never fit until it is bored out issue. I am guessing it is like the difference of about the thickness of a matchbook cover. From my old chevy spark plug gapping days using a matchbook cover knowing matchbook covers were approximately .035 thirty five thousandths of an inch, what the book called for. I would say that is about the amount of material needed to be removed to get the safety to get into and through the respective frame sides.

1 Like

If the grips were metal, it would seem like the hole was drilled but not reamed to size. Not sure if thats how the KT process flows though.

1 Like

The hole is made as part of the mold - they don’t do much to the grip after it’s molded other than trim off any flashing.

Frankly, if the hole is that close to the size needed and everything else is working correctly, I’d use a little sandpaper and be done with it. But that’s just me - if you’re not comfortable doing that, by all means wait until KT can advise you. My understanding is they’ll be out until after the New Year.

2 Likes

That is why I am inquiring if there were possibly two different size safety’s. I would definately believe the hole is part of the mold, however the size difference is enough for me not wanting to mess with it. I feel that if I attempted to expand it with sand paper I could possibly (A) bring the hole out of round, or (B) bring the hole off center, or © I could improperly size it making it difficut to use, or (D) make it so it doesnt function properly. I know that if I found a drill bit that EXACTLY fit the G17 halves I could probably safely enlarge the G19 halves. But if there are two different size safety’s no modification should be necessary. I was hoping to find someone here on this forum that has already done this swap so they could also use G19 magazines and advise me.

1 Like

@cliff70chevy Kel-Tec only makes 1 safety for all the different SubK2000 models. www.keltecweapons.com/s2k-266-safety Sounds like you have an out of round safety hole that has been discussed here before.

1 Like

I was just fixing a friends keltec and saw this post. I have a gen 2 that uses G17 and G22 mags. He has one that uses G19 mags and I just interchanged his safety with mine. His sides a bit tighter than mine. I checked the detents and the springs are the same. Measuring the diameter of the safeties show they are identical. His holes are just a tiny bit smaller than mine as both my safety and his are snug in his sub 2k and both seem a bit looser in mine. Without having proper calipers, I cannot give exact measurements of the holes.

If you have a dremel with a sanding bit you can widen yours to loosen it up. I ran the sanding bit on his, both sides of the receiver and now his is just a little looser.

I did just ordered a set of replacement sides from keltec site to have as spares. $50 for both left and right in black.

3 Likes

Thank you, I know I am capable of enlarging the opening to the G17 spec with the correct bit. This is definately going to take much more than some sand paper (to do it right on this frame). I will probably need to wait until after new years and I will probably have Keltec do it. I am a retired LE Armorer, but with all the Firearms I have worked on, I need to say that the Sub2K is with out a doubt the biggest PITA to reassemble.

1 Like

There are always ‘tricks’ to every firearm. The subbie can drive you crazy around the hammer/sear area because it just won’t close up. The trick is to have the barrel completely open and locked - I guess it changes the tensions, but if I don’t do that, I pull my hair out trying to get the back of the grips to mate up. Also, you can put an empty mag partway in the mag well to hold the mag release in the right place, but I usually don’t have to do that.

Many brothers here have gone through every Sub2k trial and tribulation and will help any way they can.

4 Likes

Well I did it. I had a 115 piece titanium nitride drill bit set. I located a bit with a tight fit for the sides on the G17 model (it would not fit the G19 halves). I had to start two sizes smaller and when I got to the correct (G17) size I could barely force it in. I increased the bit size until the one that fit the G17 barely passed through. After I got it to pass through, the safety was still difficult to pass through with the one that I was able to force in the G17. I continued to pull the bit through without turning it for a few more passes (that bit was like a razor blade). I had a round diamond polishing file and gently cleaned the hole until the safety fit. What a PITA but it works perfect!!.

5 Likes