Sub 2k ammo thoughts

All Things SUB-2000!

I have a sub 2k with the mcarbo upgrades.

I have 155 grain JHP at 1250 FPS

Any issues putting this through the sub2k religiously?

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m a new Sub2k owner and new poster too. I haven’t come across anything warning against hot ammo so far. Is that 1250fps out of your Sub2k or out of a pistol? Pretty hot stuff if that’s a pistol speed, but 1250 out of your Sub isn’t hot and should be safe for regular use.

3 Likes

Yes. Thats supposedly pistol speed. Older law enforcement issue.

3 Likes

Theres been some discussion on +p ammo.

Ive shot higher and lower pressure rounds through my Mseries 9mm to test function, but have little to no interest in trying to see how much the plastic fantastic receiver can handle before failure, so i stick with the standards.

4 Likes

I have to ask… for what purpose? What does +p ammo bring to the party in an S2K? Other than premature wear.

Repeating something I posted a while back… I traded in two gen 1’s that were simply worn out. One was a 9 and the other a 40. I’ll hazard a guess that each ran somewhere around 15-20k rounds during it’s useful life.

I’m sure that Kel-Tec has tested the Sub 2000 to failure but no gun manufacturer openly shares that data.

Hot loads will likely accelerate wear. It’s useless for shooting paper and hot loads wont make an attacker fall to the ground any quicker, so why use it?

1 Like

The purpose is that i have thousands of rounds of it to shoot already. Most of it free.

3 Likes

@Mjsoltis
There has been a lot of discussion here, at least that I can remember reading.
My takeaway, already noted, is that the SUB2K performs well, the brass for sure. As @Stircrayzy posted some facts and @Dung pointed out. Mostly agree to not advisable to fire +P ammunition.

1 Like

Fair enough. In that case I’d reserve that stockpile of ammo for a more hardy firearm. But there’s no hard technical reason to not use that ammo. Other than the probability of shortening the useful life of the gun.

1250 FPS strikes me as unusual. What brand is it? I had some 155.gr. Winchester LE 40 that was 1210 FPS and it was one of the hottest loads in that 155 gr realm as I recall.

I have a few boxes of Federal 120 gr. 1330 FPS. The flat nose bullets are composite/lead free. I choose to not run that thru my S2K. Generally, I feed it 160-185 gr FMJ that hovers around 1000-1100 FPS. Hollow points in the same range. The heavier bolt option from Kel-Tec and a Kaw Valley comp mitigates some of the felt recoil. Some. Not a lot.

The Gen 1 Sub 2000 I had in .40… I beat it like a stolen mule. Basically wore it out. As much as I like the gun and form factor, it’s not exactly heirloom quality. They are disposable firearms.

Good luck and keep shooting.

2 Likes

Interesting we commented without asking if 9mm or .40.
@Mjsoltis your referring to the 9mm right?

1 Like

Good question. I assumed .40 because I’m unfamiliar with any mainstream 9mm in that weight and velocity. The OP should clarify. In 9mm the pickin’s above 147 gr. are pretty slim.

2 Likes

@Dung
I’d say your correct, .40.
Last year I went shopping for the heaviest 9mm bullet I could find locally and ended up with Winchester 9mm Luger 147 grain personal protection. I’m not aware of any 9mm 155 grain. Do you know of any? I’m still searching for a heavier grained bullet. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

AMMO makes a 165 gr. subsonic 9mm round. Or once did. But I have never tried it. No idea where to find it.

2 Likes

@Dung
Thanks, I’ll look into that.

1 Like

The original BP spec called for a 155 JHP at 1250 FPS, that is what the Remington and the Hi shok Federals were loaded to.

2 Likes

RAUG makes a 154gr subsonic 9mm and Underwood makes a 200gr subsonic .40 S&W.

2 Likes

.40 S&W is what im referring to

3 Likes

I think after the remington (green yellow box) was issued for years, the next issue was Federal Pistol 40 S&W Ammo 135 Grain HST Jacketed Hollow Point.
I think a winchester 135-grain, hollow point was also mixed in sometime.

I guess ill use those mostly and store away the remington for energency supply.

Ill have to reorganize my boxes.

2 Likes

Ok verified. Now i just need to decide how i want to use each.

Remington .40, 155 gr jhp

Federal .40, 155 gr jhp

Lastly issued, federal .40 hst, 180 gr jhp. But i have much less of this one.

2 Likes

Here’s some fatty 9mm for ya…
https://seismicammo.com/shop/

2 Likes

These are right on the money.
I will order some. has anyone ordered from them before.
How reputable are they, I am curious?
Also is +M 9mm recommended for the SUB2K, or similar to firing +P?
I could research the difference but an thinking somebody knows the difference.

2 Likes