M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub 2K Ammo Issues

All Things SUB-2000!
I use some Winchester USA forged 9mm steel today. I had problems with it feeding, following in the mag and jamming. Has anyone else have had issues with this ammo.
Thanks,
John W.

5 Likes

Well … yes. But it’s steel so I wasn’t surprised. KT advises against steel case or aluminum case in the Sub2k.

I’ve still got 100 rounds and it is a safe bet that if I ever get down to 100 rounds to my name - it’ll be these. I have no desire to shoot them. Charges are inconsistent. They make dirty like only steel case can, etc.

6 Likes

I have never tried steel cased ammo. I have used both brass and aluminum cased and both ran flawlessly.

3 Likes

I went Sunday and shot 200 rounds of aluminum to get ride of it I did have feed issues a couple of times

5 Likes

@Whitehammer

That sounds like you had a ‘respectable’ percentage rate? With all of your ALUMINUM gone, your RANGE DAYS can only get better!!! :+1: Thanks for sharing a great day, brother! Blessings to you and yours.

3 Likes

I usually shoot brass. I’ve run a box or two of tulammo steel case stuff though. never had any issues with either. Hope I dont jinx myself saying that now. hehe…

3 Likes

@Whitehammer Out of the sub-2000? I put ~300 rounds of federal aluminum down range with no issues. I was actually impressed by how clean the ammo was.

5 Likes

Never used steel cased. Only used aluminium once in my Glock 27, which ate the hell out of it, regardless of what Glock suggests.

2 Likes

I see lots of bad reviews on that ammo in almost every pistol tried.

2 Likes

I tried the same ammo and the only issue was it wouldn’t feed properly due to the follower in the magazine, from time to time. I don’t think the Pmag’s like the steel case

1 Like

Well all love our Sub2K’s . Problem is that when I see people ask “what’s the best ammo to shoot in my Sub” most of the responses are about what is the latest and greatest deal they got on cheap ammo. Lots of it being steel or aluminum cased. Yes it’s cheap, and for a reason. They’re not using the best quality components in their manufacture, they are trying to increase profit margin. I am amazed at how much many of us have invested in the modifications to our Sub2K’s only to try to find the cheapest ammo out there, then post because they are having issues with it. I realize that most of us can’t afford to go out and shoot 100’s of rounds a week. Realize that shooting a high number of rounds doesn’t make you a good shot, it’s the number of shots you execute correctly that does. If you are out there just to have some fun on the range, then shoot the cheapest you can find, but don’t expect miracles from crap ammo just because you invested in lots of upgrades to your gun.

4 Likes

I agree… I actually purchased the aluminum cased on accident thinking it was a good deal on brass.

3 Likes

@Dane

I could not agree with you more. Find an ammo that your S2K cycles well with and gets good shot groups with, find a good price on that ammo and buy the heck out of it.

5 Likes

I stopped using steel in my s2k. Tula chipped out the extractor. They fed good though. Ran some USA forged through shield 9 and had feed issues. Also chipped the extractor on it. My sig 320 seemed to eat it with no probs. Ran 100 rnds. tula 230gr. through my ati 1911 yesterday and it ran good. All of the steel stuff runs dirty, espaecially the USA forged. Also, my Mechtech wouldn’t eat the USA forged either.

3 Likes

Just helping you say that twice!

Brass was chosen for its properties pretty early on in the development of modern cartridges. Steel doesn’t expand to seal the chamber. Aluminum expands to seal but doesn’t spring back to facilitate extraction.

Brass does both with style and grace.

5 Likes

Right! I usually run brass(reloads), I shoot in my backyard and sometimes I don’t feel like filtering throught the grass looking for the emptys so I run off to walters’ world and buy a box or two of steel.

4 Likes

I bought 2 of the 100 round boxes locally for a last minute decision to go shooting with my father. I tried to run it in a Kel-tec PF9 and it would not extract or run in the Kel-tec at all. It was a one shot pistol with that ammo. It ran ok in a Sig P6, and 2 different Glock 43’s. Because of its feeding problem in the Kel-tec, I have vowed to not buy it again. I’ve shot other steel cased ammo without any problems but this stuff provided nothing but a headache for the Kel-tec. There are plenty of places to get 9mm brass cased ammo cheaper online, I just had to purchase in bulk and plan ahead to have more 9mm on hand for last minute range trips. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

After breaking in the sub 2k, pretty much any new brass is fine now.

2 Likes