M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub 2000 Recoilless charging handle with locking pin

Okay. I am new here and confused. I ordered the new recoiless charging handle because I am old and arthritic and the charging handle on the new sub2k is a POS. If I understand correctly, I will have to remove this locking pin every time I break down my weapon to clean it. That sounds like a wholw lot of work. If that is the case I will NOT install the new handle

3 Likes

Just put a dap of grease on the screw head and it’s really easy to do that way.

3 Likes

Thank you Jager. It still sounds like a PITA to remove and replace that pin every time you clean your weapon. I like the Sub2k because it is so easy to break dowm. I guess I will wait and see when the part arrives

4 Likes

Im skipping the grease trick and going with shoe goo because it will solve the removal and reinstall issues.

2 Likes

a number of us are leaving the pin off alltogether without problems. Once you have the rifle reassembled, you can slowly rotate the charging handle and feel the spring sort of spring into or out of the notch. welcome to the forum

2 Likes

Leaving out the pin is a risk, and not a reliable or safe solution. Rotating the charging handle can allow it to drop out of the bolt.
See an excellent explanation here…

4 Likes

I realize the whole point of the pin is because the thinner post of the stock charging handle can break under stress - mine just did so last weekend - so that post needed to be beefed up and the only way to retain it in the gun is that pin. SHTF conditions make messing with it under stresstotally unacceptable to me so I bought a standard charging handle. If I had access to a lathe I’d just make one out of hardened bar stock.

What if you took the MCarbo charging handle and filed the slot in it deeper so the recoil spring would seat farther into it? Would the handle still turn and drop out?

1 Like

From Chris Nelson Around A Month Ago:

First of all…thank you everyone who voiced your constructive fixes/ideas to this painful process. It got all of our attention and we started working on it 6 weeks ago.

So to answer this question/problem I think everyone is going to be happy to hear that we’ve got a improvement in the works!

Replacing the individual pin with an integrated pin/cap replacement that locates onto the recoil spring. This will require removing the factory cap on one end of the factory recoil spring.

The disssembly/installation process will be very similar to this for the AK-47 recoil spring. https://youtu.be/nh2k1A3Mm7k

2 Likes

I use a 4” magnetic screwdriver and install the pin in about 10 secs.

4 Likes

My understanding is you must still locate the little pin into the hole in the charging handle. Doing that solely by feel when you’re stressed is non-trivial.

I don’t normally carry a 4" magnetic screwdriver with me.

2 Likes

@phuzzy42
TELASCOPEING MAGNET
i keep a couple of these in the side pocket of my GHB, couple in my gun box, hell got all different sizes lengths and some flex heads. dont take up much room, most less than 10$ always comein handy. im always fishin bits out of enginebays…

3 Likes

the magnet i posted…easy peasy

3 Likes

I’ve got an extendable magnet tool like that but I don’t carry it much because it’s ungood for the computers I have to work on all the time. Anyway, I still don’t want to fart around with that locking pin. I’m going to a buddy’s house next week and he has a lathe. I’ll see what I can come up with using a hardened bolt or some bar stock. The factory charging handle is made out of low-grade metal - something harder should be better.

And welcome back - you were definitely missed.

3 Likes

see if he has some 360 brass for heavy or 7075 alloy for light, or a bit of grade 2 titanium
for somewhere in tha middle… good to be back brother!

2 Likes

@IrishDeacon welcome to the forum ART

2 Likes

A bevelled, self aligning pin on center of, and attached to the spring end, would be the perfect solution. Why in the hell is it offset anyway @ChrisNelson?

3 Likes

I just angle it up a bit, turn the pin and lightly tap the butt on a table and let it fall out.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your swift replies. I foresee the real problem as fiddling around in a dark hole, and trying to insert a small pin in an even tinier hole. As I mentioned my arthritis makes it hard for my small motor skills. I probably clean my weapon too often, but that is a product of the Corps. Hopefully the new idea of attaching it to the spring will come out soon. I think I will wait for that. Again thank you all for your thoughts.

7 Likes

Brother, you’re just begging for the comments. :rofl:

9 Likes

Ooops. Guess I should have reread that before I sent it. I do apologize if I offended anyone.

8 Likes