M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub 2000 Recoilless charging handle with locking pin

All Things SUB-2000! Has anyone had this problem and did you solve it. The locking pin is stuck in the charging handle and won’t come out. So, I can’t get the charging handle nor the bolt out. Thanks for any advice.

4 Likes

@CDC what locking pin? Gotta pic?

3 Likes

The new recoilless charging handle comes with a stainless steel round locking pin. You can see it on the MCarbo.com site in the sub 2000 accessories. This round pin goes down the bolt in front of the long spring and sticks in the little hole in the charging handle. It is supposed to hold the bolt in better. Well this one is stuck in the charging handle and I can’t get it out. It should fall out when the spring is removed. Just looking for suggestions for getting it out. I have one in my other sub 2000 that falls out ok.

4 Likes

You talking about this one correct?

2 Likes

take the butt off/buffer out take the red lifesaver out, take the spring out, look down the bolt, and with a screwdriver turn the slot up and down that should loose it in the slot.

6 Likes

@CDC

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood, CD.

According to MCarbo’s video the locking pin ‘locates’ the hole when a screwdriver is manipulated on the slotted pin. If you attempt to manipulate the slot in different position and then pull on the charging handle, the charging handle should come out. Try tipping the buffer tube downward toward your work bench occasionally so that the pin can (fall out of its slot,) again pulling on the charging handle.That should allow the handle to release.Hope that helps.

5 Likes

@CDC welcome to the brotherhood

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had been doing those things to no avail. The pin is really stuck in there. I will keep trying, maybe it will eventually come out.

3 Likes

@CDC

Maybe try a ‘little’ Simple Green or your favorite gun cleaner?

2 Likes

When did that version come out? Just saw the video. Good idea? I have to email them for a pin

3 Likes

I think sometime in the last half of last year 2018.

3 Likes

@Silverback Check your charging handle to see if it was drilled and machined to accept the locking pin. Early versions weren’t.

2 Likes

has the pin embedded(do you see any raised metal on the chargeing handle shaft) how many rounds on the unit with the pin in place, do you have a can of PB Blaster(penetrating catilist )

4 Likes

@Don68

According to Chris’ video, all versions should accept the locking pin. Did you find that ‘not’ to be true? Should that video follow up with a correction, brother?

1 Like

@lonewolf I have 2 different versions of the double finger charging handle, the original and one with the improved steel. Both are not set up to use the locking pin. The newer versions of all 3, double finger, recoilless, and skeletonized come with it.

2 Likes

MY GEN 1 doesn’t have the hole, GEN2 does.some didnt. design changes, constantly upgrading, evolving.
MCARBO%20CH

3 Likes

@Don68

Ran out of likes… Thanks for that explanation… :+1:

4 Likes

@GOBLIN

Thanks for that!!! I ran out of likes… Guess I will be a ‘typing fool’ now? :wink:

2 Likes

Mine is the new version that came with the pin. The pin worked as it was supposed to for several hundred rounds but now is stuck. The nipple on the pin is in the hole in the charging handle. I’ve tried turning it hard with a screw driver but it does not budge. I am thinking of pounding the charging handle in toward the bolt and maybe break off the nipple, then drill out the nipple if it stays in the hole.

2 Likes

@CDC

I dont know what ‘cleaners’ you ran down the buffer tube but I would resort to WD40 and let it soak a day or two… I know it will result in more down time. Maybe it will save the locking pin and mail time as well? Still a ‘challenge’ that no brother deserves! :dizzy_face:

2 Likes