M*CARBO Brotherhood

SUB-2000 Recall Info

According to Kel-Tec:

We have recently identified an issue with the heat treatment of certain steel tubes received from a third‐party supplier from which the barrels for a limited number of Kel‐Tec SUB‐2000 rifles were manufactured. This could potentially cause the barrel to rupture when a cartridge is fired and could result in serious personal injury. The safety of our customers is our primary concern, so Kel‐Tec has voluntarily initiated this recall because of the possibility of a barrel rupturing.

This recall only affects a portion of SUB‐2000s that were manufactured in 2017.

All costs associated with the recall of your firearm shall be covered by Kel‐Tec.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR SUB-2000 HAS BEEN RECALLED?
Kel-Tec has been proactive regarding the issues surrounding the Sub-2000 rifles affected by the recall and made it easy for any Sub-2000 owner to verify whether their rifle will be affected.

You’ll need the serial number off of your rifle.

Check if your SUB-2000 is affected by the recall, locate your serial number and click here to check.

YOUR NEXT STEP
As the quote above states, all costs incurred by the recall will be covered by Kel-Tec. No box? No label? No problem. Send a email request to recalls@keltecweapons.com and request a free flat box be shipped to your address.

Because this is a warranty issue most states allow you to ship the firearm directly to Kel-Tec and the company will ship it directly back to you. Of course, you’ll want to check with your local laws to ensure you’re in compliance.

Also be advised that you do not need to remove your M*CARBO parts if you are returning your SUB-2000 for the recall barrel replacement.

You will also be able to get your M*CARBO parts installed while your SUB-2000 is at the factory for the recall. Click here for more information on KEL TEC installations of M*CARBO parts.

We have one SUB-2000 here at M*CARBO that has been affected by the recall. Here is a copy of the email that was sent to us below.

Dear Chris Nelson,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your information. We have received your information and a return label will be sent to you in the manner you previously specified (E‐mail or USPS). Due to the volume of submissions, please allow 1-2 weeks to receive your return shipping label.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this process may cause you. We are deeply grateful to all of our customers and are committed to doing everything we can to keep our customers safe. As a thank you for your understanding, we will be including an additional 10rd magazine with your return shipment.

Below is a confirmation of your submission. Please review it for accuracy and contact us immediately if changes are required.

Serial Number:
Full Name: Chris Nelson
Street Address: 200 2nd Ave S, STE 821
City: St Petersburg
State: Florida
Zip Code: 33701
Phone: 8883471276
Email: chris@mcarbo.com

Instructions for returning your firearm:

• Please package your Kel‐Tec SUB‐2000, folded and UNLOADED, into an appropriately sized box.

• If you do not have an appropriately sized box, please contact recalls@keltecweapons.com and request a free flat box be shipped to your address.

• Do NOT include any ammunition with your firearm.

• Please remove, if possible, any accessories from your Kel‐Tec SUB‐2000 prior to shipping.

• Affix the return label that was provided to you (Provided via e‐mail or USPS).

• Drop the box off at your nearest FedEx location. Please follow this link or copy and paste it into the address bar to find the location nearest you: http://www.fedex.com/locate/

For additional questions, please contact us by phone at 1‐800‐515‐9983 ext. 136, or by e‐mail at recalls@keltecweapons.com.

Thank you!

7 Likes

Just sent mine back to Kel-Tec yesterday. They’d better not mess it up because it’s been 100% reliable over many, many rounds. Not one single stoppage of any kind, which is amazing for a Kel-Tec! I finally get a good one and then, boom! Recalled. LOL

whew…i dodged this bullet…(see what i did there???)

1 Like

I had a G19 in inventory that was under recall as well. The process was fairly straight forward, though I do have to wait over a week to get my recall shipping label. I got it, and shipped it out last Tuesday. Arrived at KelTec Last Thursday, and should return shortly. I have a customer waiting on it because it will have an extra magazine with it. Will let you know when it arrives.

1 Like

It was so hard to send mine back since it had been so reliable over so many rounds, even before any M*CARBO internal upgrades. I took it out once after learning about the recall and found myself mentally flinching every single trigger pull wondering if this would “be the ONE” to remove an eye, finger, etc when the hammer fell. I knew I’d never, ever get over that fear, so it had to go back.

Still waiting for the shipping label email, seems far too long at this point. Keep seeing others saying the got theirs and shipped theirs back and I’m still waiting on a label.

They say up to two weeks from the time of request. I got mine (and shipping box) in 11 days.

Thanks for the notice! I doubt I would found out about the recall anywhere else.

Keltec customer service has been great in my experience. No post replacement issues.

1 Like

Thankfully my sub is older than 2017. Phew!

Holy crap, was that your chamber? :flushed: Kel-Tec said they issued the recall despite there being no actual problems with improperly heat treated barrels.

Same here. Either they’re rushing and/or, as someone else suspected, they’ve hired a bunch of temps to help with the load. Mine just arrived in Memphis on its way back. If anything, these should come back BETTER than when they went in since they’re being reworked at ZERO fault of the customer.

I don’t care what happens financially behind the scenes on their end. It doesn’t matter if a person gets a rifle back that performs WORSE than when it was sent in. Mine was 100% reliable and accurate. If it isn’t when I get it back, it will keep being returned to Kel-Tec until it is in the same performing condition as when initially returned for the recall. And, they’ll pay shipping every time, too. I’ve been 'round and 'round with them before with pistols. And, that’s exactly why I never bought anything Kel-Tec again for well over a decade. I buy a Gen 2 SUB2000 and love it. Then this recall. I guess that’s what I get deciding to take a chance on them one more time.

I was told it can take up to two weeks to get the label. Mine (along with the shipping box) arrived in 11 days.

I patiently checked for nearly six months online for a SUB-2000 in S&W M&P 9mm to become available. All of a sudden they popped up all over the place last October. That’s when I bought mine. Then they disappeared again. When I learned about the recall, quite by accident, I had a hunch mine was in the bad batch. It was. Took four days for the email withe shipping label to arrive and another week for the shipping box (Who holds onto old KEL-TEC SUB 200 cardboard boxes?) to arrive.

1 Like

Dang! that’s some scary stuff right there :flushed:

Last October? Huh, that’s exactly when I finally found my Gen 2 Glock19 version. And, of course, it’s a recall rifle, too.

Just found out mine is part of the recall ONLY because MCARBO sent an email about some new products and I saw the recall on their forum. Sent info in for shipping label and box, better to be safe than sorry, Recalls are just such an inconvenience on anything.

Even with the recall, Kel-Tec had better hope one doesn’t still blow up on someone. Not everyone is on the internet all the time or even any of the time, much less joining forums, etc. Kel-Tec can’t notify everyone and someone who never knew about the recall can’t be held accountable, either.

I just happened to go to Keltec’s website last week and found out about it, no other notification was given. Not much point in registering on their website to stay up to date if they’re not going to keep us up to date. It’s fairly disappointing that for whatever liability reasons, that they’re are limiting the notification to a pretty serious recall, to a pop up on their website. Now that i’m fired up about it, I think i’m going to share my disappointment with them directly.