M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sub 2 K Chip @ Breech

While cleaning today I noticed this small chip.The gun has a total of 450 rounds fired since new. What should I do about this?
Thanks

6 Likes

Hi mgmargate, glad you posted this.
SUB2K… So that’s what we are looking at after 450 rounds.
I’m at about 200 to 250 and am noticing similar wear excepting the small chip.
I’m waiting to see what others say, and hoping it’s no big issue.
Cheers,

5 Likes

@Moosecall , Are you the original owner?
Keltec says lifetime warranty for original owner.
Does it matter that I have put on MCARBO charge handle,new spring pin,Bolt sleeve,recoil buffer/butt pad,optic mount and Romeo 5 ??
Thanks

5 Likes

That is from the bolt face hitting. It’s like that on all three of my S2K’s. Pretty normal wear.

8 Likes

Yup, that is what I thought as well.
I’d like to see that same shot at >500 and/or up to 1000 rounds.
Any examples out there?

6 Likes

This is from my 1st S2K. well over 3000 rounds.

7 Likes

@Texprep
Wow that is comforting.
Looks like an initial break-in wear, then smooth sailing.
You said from your 1st SUB 2K. Am I hearing the shelf life is 3000 rounds?
That’s really good, right?

6 Likes

This is my newest. This barrel is a replacement from Kel-Tec after the hinge area cracked. Probably only a couple hundred rounds through this one.

7 Likes

Shelf life is much longer. This one shoots as good if not better today then when I bought it. I’m just one of those people that believes 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none.
Only problem I’ve ever had was with my .40 cal. The plastic cracked on the forend where the trigger guard locks in. Also did some damage to the grip halves… Sent it to Kel-Tec and they replaced the whole forend, barrel and all as well as the grip halves. They even reinstalled all my MCarbo enhancements. @mgmargate, all of my S2K’s have every MCarbo upgrade except the butt pad (two of them were purchased from MCarbo as MSERIES). Kel-Tec still stood behind their warranty.

8 Likes

I like the sound’s of that.
The .40 cal might be more prone to failures in the long term, manufacture taking advantage of the same frame fabrication excepting the barrel. Don’t quote me, that was a guess, not sure of the differences between the 9mm and .40 cal other than barrel?
Great to hear Kel-Tec continuously, honors their warrantee.

4 Likes

@Texprep That is good to know. I installed all of the upgrades except the muzzle brake which is pinned by my FFL because we are in NJ.
I’m wondering if I’m not better of manually releasing the bolt slower instead of just slapping it where it slams the breech.I’m assuming thats why it chipped.

6 Likes

Good point and observation… And I also almost always use that type of release, and if that is the case I might wand to not rack a round that way anymore.
Your thoughts @Texprep

5 Likes

dont think it really matters, its going full battery every time it fires.

7 Likes

@GOBLIN Got it. Seems like a significant design flaw that it’s “normal” to have the breech face chip after 450 rounds.

6 Likes

@mgmargate Normal! Enjoy it and Use it, Somewhere in Archives Here’ should be a Post I made of Mine and Pictures
It looked like Someone took a Chipping Hammer to the Face’
Still working now and i haven’t poked My eye Out yet :laughing:
I will try and find the pic’s again to show you the No concern of it.

6 Likes

@DivaMarie Thanks I appreciate that.

6 Likes

Yes thanks as well, much appreciated.

4 Likes

not a flaw, just nature of the beast. casting poly in place of steel or alloy saves weight but shows wear /impact more. if it was a steel breach that place would be polished. think of the weight difference if the SUB 2000 was all wood and steel, come to think of it, i wouldn’t mind that. at all.
I worried about that when i got the first sub 2000 G1. its past 4000 total now. the Gen 2, about 3500, mars and pops there, never affected it. the only real critical point on some G2s was the hinge on a bad run of poly. think most of those have worked their way out. post a pic of the G1 in a bit…

6 Likes

SUB 2000 GEN 1 breech face. 4000 rounds plus.

5 Likes

@GOBLIN That looks like a chip in the steel?? whereas my chip is in the Polymer. So no doubt I’ll just fire away .
Thanks

6 Likes