Stop The Bleed Course

I am going to be taking the Stop The Bleed course soon being put on by our counties emergancy management. I had similar training many years ago but felt I needed to brush up on my skills. There are several reasons for me to take it again. I am an RSO at a local shooting club. Although there has never been an accidental shooting at our ranges since being formed nearly 90 years ago, being prepared is just part of my nature. Second, and maybe a little more selfishly, my wife and kids work either as teachers or in school administration. The Santa Fe school shooting was probably less than 10 miles from my home. Although in a different district, it made me realize it can happen anywhere.Santa Fe is your average tight knit small town, good people. It really woke me up to the fact it takes only one bad person to upset everyone’s lives.
Instead of rambling on for my reasons for taking the course I’d really like to know what is covered? More specifically, are sucking chest wounds and the items needed for a first responder covered? I always keep a pretty well stocked trauma kit with me, but it does not include a chest seal. As an RSO, I believe this needs to be added to my kit as well as the current/correct knowledge to use it.

9 Likes

@Texprep

Texas Law Shield puts on a very decent course. Thankfully, I’ve not had occasion to use anything I learned. I did the early courses and they now offer a more complete course. It was put together by a medic with substantial experience.

8 Likes

If you have a packaged compression bandage the plastic/foil wrapper is your chest seal! :+1:

9 Likes

Lol…the word I was looking for was Mylar!

7 Likes

It is my understanding that chest seals are more than an impermeable barrier. Some I’ve read about have a one way valve that allows air/excess blood out of the chest cavity/wound, but not back in through the wound preventing a collapsed lung or a person from drowning in their own blood. I may be getting into an area better left for a professional emergency care person but where our range is located, it would be a minimum of 15 minutes before an ambulance could arrive.

8 Likes

did the chest trauma/gunshot wounds (hunter edition) 3 years ago, stop the bleed course 2 years ago, and a Head trauma course last year. every year i try to do a different med course.
i have a lot of contact with motorcycle riders, young and old, and i see a lot of crashes, especially with the crotch rocket riders and stunters, lot of those kids, especially on the back roads, rural areas, they haulin butt, tuckin in, and catch a car ridin the center line coming around a curve, ( I was so close in a couple of years ago, I was dodging the parts of the bike that was EOI /exploding on impact ) If you dont help, they bleed out before the HELO gets there, last year I had to clamp a femoral where the kid had strained his leg between the bumper and the body of a truck(impact around 80mph) that was special. of all the people that stopped, me, and a off duty nurse were the only 2 that dove in. (the rest were filming for youtube) she told me to stop the blood flow, I stopped it. wound was big enough i could see what i was grabbing, pinched it shut till she could get me a stat out of her bag. (only thing holding the leg on, was a strip of muscle and some skin) He survived, but lost the leg. nurse took my contact info, and called me later that day)
this year, i think the course is on broken bones and abdominal punctures, take that one as well.
Now, I aint a huge lover of my fellow man, I tend to be a hermit as much as i can, I have a big problem with stupid, but, I see someone in a bind/between a rock and a hard place, I will walk thru the fire so to speak to pull em out. I cant stand there and watch em die without trying to save em. not in my nature.

8 Likes

Sounds like we have something in common.

4 Likes

@GOBLIN
I sure understand your ‘lover of mankind philosophy/lack of it anymore!’ My patience of stupidity is VERY LIMITED. I dont know whether to blame it on aging or the medication? Big smiles! Hang in there buddy…

2 Likes

The course was put on as part of a 2 day House of Worship Safety and Security seminar I attended several weeks ago. There is an emphasis on the use of Kwikclot for tramatic/gunshot wounds. They even gave out compresses permeated with it. I have a small first aid kit that goes into the woods with me, a larger one that stays in my truck.

4 Likes

the new sponge impregnated type quickclot is 1001 % better than the old straight powder quckclot ever was. it was hazardous to every one involved if a breeze picked up, stuff would end up airborne, and in eyes… as it was, the original, in a wound, stuff burned like hades… but it did seal up the leak…

3 Likes

Your absolutely right, but you can make do with almost any impermeable material that can be held in place over the wound. You just have to vent by hand if need be. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve taken this class and it is a very good starter class. I carry a first aid kit everywhere I go. I’ve added several items to my kit. Add some sanitary napkins and tampons. You’ll be surprised how well they work and they are easy to store.

3 Likes

What Texprep is referring to is a heimlich valve. The valve is usually used when needling a chest for a tension pneumothorax. He is correct in his assessment, not for the amateur, but a 3 sided occlusive dressing is, and has saves many lives. I am a Flight/Trauma Nurse, and I ALWAYS recommend that people who are inclined add tourniquets (yes, more than one) and Kwikclot to their kits. And, yes please take all of the courses you can. The additional help and hands at a crash/trauma scene are much appreciated. The tools busy filming for YouTube are not!

5 Likes

Completed the class last night. A lot of the stuff was things I had learned many years ago while in the Coast Guard. Am glad I took it again though as I did not know the new rules for tourniquets. Originally they taught to loosen every 15 minutes. I had heard that had changed to never loosen but wasn’t sure because it was not in formal training I had been told that. The mannequins used today are way better than what I trained on in the past complete with spurting blood. I did also get to do what I really went to do, pack/treat a gunshot wound. We did not touch on the new modern heimlich valve though. At this level of training it was just pack and seal the wound. Main reason for taking the course was as an RSO, I wanted to be better prepared for a worse case senerio at the range. Already planning on signing up for more advanced classes.

4 Likes

@RNMike,
After doing a little web searching I found the chest seal I was thinking about. It’s called the Asherman Chest Seal. Would this be better than a three sided occlusive dressing? Like I stated before, I’m thinking of a gunshot wound to the chest. I do plan on getting more training but am looking ahead as to what to stock in my trauma kit. I was not at all impressed with what is available to the RSO’s at our range so I’m trying to build a better kit for when I’m on duty.

4 Likes

Hey Texprep. I have never used one of those seals, but it looks like a good product. I certainly would think it would be a great addition to your kit. I’m glad you enjoyed your class, please keep up the learning. We need more guys out there like you willing to learn and jump in with both feet when the shit hits the fan👍🏻

5 Likes

@Texprep @RNMike and anyone else taking the training to be able to treat serious injuries a big :+1:

As far as chest seals go, while you can make an ad-hoc seal these are the ones I carry in my medic bag.

4 Likes

Went to my second training tonight put on by our counties emergancy prepardness group and Homeland Preparedness Project. This one was our counties Medical Reserve Corps orientation outlining how we would respond in local or national emergancys. Next month I will begin the CERT training, an eight part training. Topics covered include all types of local to national emergancys. Once completed with that training I can become part of a County Emergancy Response Team.

7 Likes