M*CARBO Brotherhood

Steiner R1X Reflex Sight

Hey brothers,

As most of you know, or I may have ‘tormented’ some of your ‘sights,’ pun intended, that I have been enamored with 80% firearm building? Well, I have never been so pleased with my results! However, I am now asking your assistance with Red Dot selection. Does anyone have any experience with the Steiner R1X Reflex Sight? I saw some mighty fine deals on them and was wondering if it would be ‘over-kill?’ I just want to spend my money in the right area. I don’t need to buy a Lexus, if I can get away with a Toyota… What are your suggestions??? :grinning:

1 Like

On optics planet it’s listed as $350 for a standard mount, $450 with a QD mount.

I don’t have any experience with it, but Steiner is a solid brand. However, that’s a steep price for a red dot. You can almost get an Aimpoint Pro for that, and that’s gonna be extremely durable.

What’s your use for this? An 80% 10/22? I suspect this would be overkill for that, unless you’re planning on hard hunting or competition use. For general range or casual use you could get away with a Vortex Sparc or Romeo 5 (maybe $130 and $110 on good days) or if you want to splurge a bit, the Holosun 510c gives you circle dot reticle, titanium frame, and solar backup, for low to mid $200s.

5 Likes

@TheThreeLaws low to mid $200s for 510c?! What is this sorcery you speak of?

1 Like

@TheThreeLaws

I know that I have been ‘overkilling’ the 80% 10/22’s lately??? :grinning: I had made 2 for myself and just ‘had to’ make sure that my wife got her toy since she has been so kind as to allowing me the extra funds for my GAMES!!! I just want to make sure that I have one ‘decent’ Red Dot for myself so that I can have the appropriate piece to switch among 22’s and 223 platforms (which will be my ‘next’ adventure) in the near future. Many thanks!

3 Likes

Atibal makes good stuff. I have a bunch of their MCRD Pros. If you’re looking to save money I could part with one for a nominal fee of course.

3 Likes

@Kona

Logan,

That is most generous of you and I totally respect your knowledge of them! If you would kindly give me some details I will give it some serious thought before ‘diving in’ to my purchase. Many thanks! :+1:

3 Likes

@Kona

According to Optic Planet’s write up, it would probably be an easy decision to make?

2 Likes

@lonewolf ask @km55 too. He bought one and digs it :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@Kona

That makes it an ‘easy’ sale, then? :+1:

2 Likes

Create account and add to cart for $230. $254 for the Green Elite. I got mine from there for $215 at one point

Follow r/gundeals if you hate money

6 Likes

@TheThreeLaws

It seems like I have been ‘hating money’ a bit too much??? :cowboy_hat_face: I mean, I have built (3) 80% Customs since December! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe a ‘reasonably priced’ Red Dot won’t be such a horrible acquisition?

2 Likes

Hey that’s really cool that you’ve built those, but I’ll imagine they weren’t cheap haha.

Honestly modern red dots from reputable manufacturers are widely considered to be very solid. Holosun, Vortex, etc are making great optics for reasonable orices. Even a Bushnell TRS25 is a solid, functional optic for around $50. I used one on my Sub for a while, now it’s riding my Hightower P90 10/22.

There’s nothing wrong with spending more cus you it’s something you want, if this Steiner is that. Lots of dudes put ACOGs or Aimpoints on range rifles cus they like them. But if it just needs to be accurate and reliable, you don’t need to break the bank these days.

5 Likes

@Kona @TheThreeLaws

I guess my wife ‘got tired’ of me building this LAST 80% (IN MY MIND…) She told me to order my Sylvan Arms Gen 2 folding stock adapter and suggested that I order her a Sig Saur Romeo 5 Red Dot. When I looked up at her to 'question her choice in sights,) she laughed and said that I could not take my ‘new rifle’ to the range without it! What can I say, ‘I got a keeper, for sure!’ :+1:

3 Likes