M*CARBO Brotherhood

Squib! Oy Caramba!

After looking at this pic, you’d think I own stock in Bristol Myers SQUIB. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I reckon I was lucky and noticed my S2K didn’t seem to fire a round properly yesterday at the range. First, I took the mag out. When I went to lock the bolt back, I had to tug on it pretty hard. Finally the bolt came back and the brass ejected. I noticed that there was a bunch of un-burnt powder in the chamber. So I immediately looked inside my S2K and saw the 9mm bullet waving its copper-plated ass at me.

3 Likes

Here you can see the un-burnt powder; the little gray discs. My thinking is that the primer fired but somehow the powder didn’t ignite. So the bullet went only an inch or so into the barrel. Like a dumbass I didnt have a one-piece cleaning rod with me but I was able to borrow one from Tom the range officer. I gently inserted it into the muzzle and tapped it and the bullet came out, into the magwell. Then I got my borelight and carefully inspected the bore and was happy to see it was clear with no further obstructions.

From now on, I will never try to save a few pennies by purchasing “range grade” ammo. And I will always have a one-piece cleaning rod with me when I go to the range.

4 Likes

@A-Argh15 It’s good to know that you recognized a squib load and stopped firing. Glad your OK.

4 Likes

Great photos and information.

Thank you for sharing!!

4 Likes

That’s the importance of knowing every gun you own or fire, what it sounds like, what it feels like when fired. If something just isn’t “normal” check it out, as you did. Could prevent a catastrophic failure resulting in serious injury or even death. The best lessons are learned from others, so you don’t have to experience the consequences.

3 Likes

What ammo was it? I mainly use the cheap “range grade” Winchester White Box stuff from Wallyworld. Never had a problem with it. I’ll never shoot someone else’s reloads, though.

2 Likes

What happened to your rear sight is it broken ???

3 Likes

Honestly the giant bolt/firing pin will fire factory ammo just fine. I’m guess this was some ammo someone reloaded and sold in a ziploc bag

1 Like

Only problems I’ve ever had with Winchester white box is rounds going wherever the hell they wanted

1 Like

They’re not made for competition shooting. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Jeff - No. The sight is fine. It’s an MCarbo notch sight. The pic doesnt show it well but I used masking tape and white automotive touch-up paint to paint a vertical stripe on the sight beneath the notch.

2 Likes

Wedge & Matt - The ammo was from FedArm.com. This was the first time I bought the range-grade from them because all my previous buys were their regular stuff and I never had any problems with it before. Saving $5 on a 500 round bulk purchase of range-grade was not worth the savings.

I’m not knocking FedArm. $h!t happens. I will buy from them again. Even regular mfgrs have QC problems. My only other squib I’ve ever experienced was in 7mm Mag from Sellier & Baillot. And I had one round from a box of Hornady 6.5x55mm have an overcharge of too much powder. Thank God those Dumb Swedes over-built their M-96 bolt guns back in the day other wise I’d be walking around with a piratical eyepatch on my right eye.

2 Likes

If you have digital calipers or something similar, I’d carefully measure the edges of the notch to the outer edges of the sight. It might not be perfectly centered, as has happend in at least one other case.

1 Like

What does “range grade” mean? Reloads?

2 Likes

Freedom munitions just filed for bankruptcy. Hooray!

2 Likes

‘Range Grade Ammo’!! Yes, that’s something to avoid. We wanted to test a Sig P238 our local range had as a rental. They require you to use their ammo when renting their weapons (probably mostly a good idea).

The second shot from the second magazine resulted in a Pfffffftttt!

I had NEVER experienced that. Dropped the mag out, locked the slide back and peeked into the barrel to find the bullet wedged in the barrel. Took it back to the front desk and showed them. They took it back (never refunded our rental). We’ll never buy range reloads for our stuff.

In spite of that experience, we’re now the proud owners of a P238, but don’t use other’s reloads.

2 Likes

Si’! Yes, it means reloads.

1 Like

BTW - FedArm had no obligation to do so but they contacted me yesterday and offered free shipping on my next order. As I said previously, I am fixing to buy from them again. Soon.

2 Likes

With my own reloads or good commercial ammo, my Smith Model 28 never spit lead from the barrel/cylinder gap. When I was shooting some cheap reloads I bought at a LGS, however…

• the ammo had so little power that it could barely knock over bowling pins at 50 feet

• the ammo spit some lead that came back and passed right beneath the bottom edge of my safety glasses and hit me just below the eye. It actually drew blood and in a little while I had a nice black eye as well.

so I don’t buy that cheap stuff any more

KH

2 Likes