M*CARBO Brotherhood

"Solvent Traps" Anyone try one?

Hey Brotherhood, it’s been a while since I posted HELLO AGAIN! I was wondering about these “solvent” traps I have been getting flooded with on my social media feeds. We know what they are for and they seem to be quite inexpensive yet well made and was wondering if anyone has tried one?

4 Likes

Just waiting on 3 stamp approval’s before I build mine. I’ve had 4 store bought suppressor’s for many years, and just figured I’d try a few homemade ones.

5 Likes

If you’re talking about the solvent traps from companies like Wish, Bangood, etc., STAY AWAY!

There’s a reason they cost $40 bucks. It’s because they are made of inferior Chinesium and will more than likely blow up on you after a very short life.

They are all made of cheap aluminum.

And if you go the legal route, that’s a tax stamp out the window.

Chinesium Solvent Trap

3 Likes

They work ok on .22lr. I have a friend that has a stamp for one. Works well and has lasted so far. Doubt it would hold up to anything else through.

What’s a solvent trap?

1 Like

The variety being discussed threads onto a threaded barrel to trap cleaning solvents used in the barrel.

The discussion regards their similarities and variances from suppressors.

Some give the appearance of a sound suppressor without an exit hole for a projectile.

Key point in the discussion is that their construction is far from durable.

2 Likes

@Mcrosa “hypothetically” think of them as the equivalent of an 80% lower that can be altered to become a suppressor. As said above you would have to waste a stamp on it to do it legally so it is not a thing most reasonable gun owners would do. I guess you could modify one and take a chance on getting caught without a stamp but it would really be risky. The reason I asked the question was because of the price they cost is fractions of a legitimate suppressor and was wondering if anyone had good results with one.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I had never heard of it. But I agree, I am not looking for trouble from the ATF.

Mike

1 Like

You could always try an oil filter silencer.

2 Likes

No trouble with the BATFE at all if you play by the rules. An unaltered “Solvent Trap” is 100% legal to own.
Apply for a Form 1 or do an E-file Form 1 online, Pay the $200 tax stamp fee, Go get 2 fingerprint cards done and wait for the BATFE to email you the Cover sheets and CLEO notification sheets.
Send in your fingerprint cards, and mail or take the CLEO paperwork to your Sheriff or Police Chief, then wait for the BATFE to email you your tax stamp.

Once you get the tax stamp, then you can drill out the end cap and baffles of the Solvent trap, get it engraved, then use it on a firearm.

2 Likes