M*CARBO Brotherhood

So you had to defend yourself with your firearm

If you carry a firearm you should probably have some type of financial back up. I live in a state where liberal prosecutors and politicians will destroy your life to further their political career! You can have three crackheads breaking in and if you use deadly force with a firearm you can bet that after the prosecutor does their damnedest to hang you out to dry, one of the parents will try to sue you cause their child was going to cure Cancer next year!
The state insurance regulator even went so far (in cahoots with the prosecutor) to make it illegal to have firearm insurance and banned and fined the two major carriers effectively forcing any carrier out that would have written a policy for a civilian.
I’ve recently discovered an inexpensive option that may be the only one here in New York State and I believe it’s available in every state. The ACLDN (Armed citizens legal defense network) is not insurance so my state has been unable to shut them down so far, yet they provide money from dues to help defray the cost of lawyers, bail, private investigators, etc.
Some people may live in an area where they are confident that they don’t need such an option and others will have more options such as insurances depending on where they live.
Where I am, I don’t think it it’s an option at all and can’t leave currently so I’m thankful it’s there. I saw in another thread a post about how it’s easier for your family to get you out of jail then it is to bring you back to life and I think that sums it up beautifully!
Oh yeah, we also have some asshat Senator that’s trying to make it mandatory that you carry a million dollar MINIMUM liability insurance so the bad guys or their families can sue you! If not he wants your guns all confiscated in clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

9 Likes

Asshat senators are only part of the problem. It’s the morons who vote for them that’s the bigger issue.

5 Likes

I live in South Carolina, and we have the Stand Your Ground law here. So if someone, anybody is breaking into my home, their ass is paid for. Or someone threating to do bodily harm out in the public or wherever, you just have to inform them that you’re a licensed concealed fire arm carrier, and if they continue with their threats, or attack you, their ass is bought and paid for!!! I guess even with how back woods South Carolina really is, the 2nd amendment still works here bc, we still have the right to protect ourselves in what means possible, including with a firearm. But, if you’re away from your home, you better have a concealed carry license, and a witness or two would be great also!!! Criminal acts against you here in SC, and you shoot them, your chances are pretty good of not being charged if you have never been charge and convicted of a violet crime yourself!!!

5 Likes

Just because you “can” shoot someone doesn’t mean you necessarily should shoot them. Particularly as it applies to the castle doctrine. If someone breaks into your home and is acting in a threatening manner or is armed, you probably should defend yourself with deadly force. But, here in the city where I worked as a cop for 30+ yrs, we had several instances of drunken college students trying to force their way into someone’s house, thinking that they were trying to get back into their dorms. This has happened in other cities as well. I for one would not want to live with the thought that I killed an otherwise innocent person. You may not be charged but you will be sued. In today’s environment of liberal DA’s don’t count on not being criminally charged.

2 Likes

It happened not far from me a couple years ago. A doctor and his family were sleeping on the 2nd floor of his home when he heard someone break glass down stairs. The doc. armed himself and went to investigate. When he got to the top of the stairs he saw a man standing at the base and shouted that he was armed and calling the police. The man started to climb the stairs without saying anything and the doc. shot him. It was later determined that the guy was so drunk he had no idea where he was and had stumbled out the side of the next door neighbor’s party. These houses are fairly well spaced in an affluent neighborhood. There were no charges filed. There is no excuse for just shooting someone because you can, but if you have to it shouldn’t ruin you financially! It’s bad enough what you’re going to have to live with if you’re a normal human being.

4 Likes

Being drunk and stupid does not give you a free pass to break into someone’s house. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

10 Likes

I hope that I never have to defend myself or others with a gun. When I took the advanced concealed carry class in my state I asked the instructor what the odds were of getting sued after a justified defense shooting and he said 100%. There are lawyers that will find a third cousin from 6 states away to file suit. He said the minimum cost of defense was $50 grand, and that was several years ago.

5 Likes

Develop a plan to leave the state. I realize that’s easier said than done, but you’d like Texas, Arizona, or Florida a whole lot more.

5 Likes

In some states, once you’ve been cleared of any criminal wrongdoing with the shooting, you can’t be sued for it.

3 Likes

2.5 years till retirement

6 Likes

Not more than Idaho I wouldn’t. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

When I retire I’m planning on visiting as many Western states as I can! (except California, been there , done that, didn’t like it)

3 Likes

fact: If you flatten Idaho out it would be bigger than Texas.

3 Likes

I like mountains! Flat’s okay but gets boring after a while.

5 Likes

Pardon my ignorance… So an individual cannot, say, have the USCCA stand up for them in NY?
If of course that individual was a member of the USCCA…

1 Like

No No No… Idaho is a horrible place to live. Last place you would want to be.
Oh, and Montana is even worse… Avoid those states like the plague.
ND & SD as well… Terrible horrible places…
:wink:

1 Like

USCCA is illegal in NY

1 Like

Holly Mackerel…
That’s ridiculous…
Well you said your getting close Grumpy… 2.5 years…
Then get your Grumpy butt and the Fam out of there…
[ Don’t take offence to that ]

2 Likes

I think you are about 40 years too late. All we can do is encourage people with the same values to be the ones that move here. We locals have been outnumbered for a long time.

1 Like

I’d like to avoid liberal states, I’ve had my fill of that!

1 Like