Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?

@darkaynjil

Sorry, I did not look thru the whole thread to see what you had said before.

Sounds like you are thinking this thru and gathering important statistics. I wrote my post above not knowing if you were new to guns, highly experienced, or somewhere in between.

I agree with your comments.

4 Likes

I like your portrait. I always like watching Sam Elliot’s characters. :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks. Here is the picture with what was being attributed to him in easier-to-read size and form:

GA (110)

12 Likes

What’s the power and recoil like? I was very curious abut the .327 magnum snubbies when they came out, but didn’t have the money to buy one. Now with the Shanghai Shivers going around, and the current political situation and panic going on, I can’t find one, let alone the food to feed it.

4 Likes

Just saw this on buds guns guess im gonna have to have it with 22lr and 22 mag cylinder.

3 Likes

I still keep a 38 snub as a ankle gun, a model 642 airweight, for when i do repo downtown Charleston. comforting piece to know is there.

10 Likes

Currently carry 13+1. That’s 14 more than I’ve ever needed so, 5 rounds would be fine for me. Just got a cool 44 special snubby that would work.

6 Likes

.327 Federal Magnum is (to me) about the same as a mild .38 Special to my hands, anyway. I have the Crimson Trace grips and one extra shot, so I don’t feel undergunned compared to a model 36 (or any of its progeny). The major advantages to me are I can shoot 32 S&W short and long as well as the .32 H&R Magnum.

5 Likes

This is what You need for repo in downtown Charleston ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

I would agree. Snubby revolvers will never be obsolete.

As a rule I carry my full size .40 s&w auto, but I do carry my s&w 32 Terrier .38 s&w snubby on occasion. It is small, discrete, and lightweight, compared to my .40 weighing in at 2.75 lbs with full 10 rnd mag.
It’s a pleasure to carry, and I have every confidence in it’s ability to stop an assailant/s, even with only 5 rnds. (assuming good firing management)

10 Likes

Interesting thread. I have to ask, is your EDC a defensive tool for you and yours, or what you carry hoping you’ll get into a rolling gunfight?
In me 64 years of carry, I have only had to draw once, expose twice and never fired. I was not always carrying a snubby, but one certainly would have gotten the point across.
If you need more that 5-6 rounds, God be with you. Perhaps you need to rethink your stomping grounds? Even in bear country, a shorter barrel 6 shot revolver should do.
So 2" snubby or S&W M&P+ for me.

7 Likes

@Woodbutcher

I carry a sidearm as a defensive tool. I have never had to draw a weapon in all my years, and hope that never becomes necessary.

11 Likes

Added this under 22wmr already. My LCR loaded with 357 is on my side whenever I leave the house…bought the 22wmr with crimson trace grip for my wife who couldn’t clear a jam if she had to. She is over 65, it doen’t hurt her wrist and shoots it well. Loaded with Hornady Critical Defense it is a good choise for her.

6 Likes

Wedge, I agree completely. A person that is well-trained that regularly practices with their firearm(s), remains prepared for stopping or preventing a deadly attack.

6 Likes

For carry I think a .38 snubby would be fine but once we start talking .357 I’d prefer a longer barrel and not be so concerned with concealing it.

7 Likes

@DannyJo

Have you actually shot magnums thru your LCR? Yes, they can work, but oh my, the blast is significant! And the recoil is no fun at all. I don’t even like firing .38 special +P thru an LCR (or similar airweight snubby). The non +P .38’s are ok, though.

6 Likes

I shoot 357 hornady critical defense or critical duty or 357 range seldom ever have shot 38 but only +P so far. Some times a box of 50 at a time with no complaints.

6 Likes

@DannyJo

Great. Looks like you are better able to handle the blast and recoil than me. Best of luck to you.

5 Likes

Have a .44 special my self! I think it would be a fine choice. Just ordered holster for 2” J Frame .38. It weighs 13oz unloaded for the days my back pain is higher than normal. 5 rounds more than I’ve ever needed as well.

3 Likes

Revolvers will be around as long as there are people who buy them. Gun manufacturers don’t make guns because they love their country or the constitution. They manufacture and sell guns to make a profit. When any gun is no longer profitable, they stop making them.

Most of the gun-carrying women I know have small revolvers for self defense. A few others who are perhaps more gun savvy have semi-autos. But in my case the majority prefer wheel guns.

I don’t see revolvers going out of production any time soon but they will probably make fewer of them and the price will go up.

3 Likes