M*CARBO Brotherhood

Snakes USA thread 🐍

That would make a beautiful belt! :snake::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Like making a cat fur hat band !

3 Likes

Couple of them and make a nice short sling for a color laminated stock on a .22lr

6 Likes

Canoeing on a lake on base DamNeck Virginia Beach one early evening, light sky, dark shadows we saw a ripple of a snake and my buddy says point if you see him, I saw him right side he saw him left side then I came down on what felt like a log as it came up out of the water when suddenly we could see nothing but ripples as far as we could see…never paddled so fast in my life and never been so close to certain death. Never liked snakes before and certainly not after…

6 Likes

That reminds me of the time I was snorkeling on a coral head that was within ~2’ of the surface. Looking for longusta….all of a sudden a school of at least 100 barracudas surrounded me. :scream:
I shook my Hawaiian sling at them and they all bolted!
I got back in the boat and pulled anchor. :sailboat::anchor::sunglasses:

Or was it moray eels? :scream::snake:

4 Likes

What’s that have to do with snakes ? A moray eel isn’t a snake either. You need to stay out of the ocean if they threaten you so much. Barracuda & morays OMG ! ! ! scary, NO !

1 Like

Not sure what that one is. Out west we only have rattlers to worry about. Bull snakes can get large and bite, but are not venomous.

A .22 revolver loaded with shotshells goes with me to my favorite secret fishing spot. I’ve encountered hundreds of rattlesnakes in that area over the years. If they’re minding their own business and not coiled and ready to strike, I leave them be. But if they’re rattling and ready, a headshot with a shotshells ends the immediate threat.

If anyone does happen to kill a rattlesnake and wants to collect the rattle as a souvenir, be very careful and control the head, or allow it to cool completely (overnight) before cutting off the rattle. They can still reflexively bite you when they are dead. Reptiles are weird.

9 Likes

Yes. That is quite right.
You can also receive a dose of venom once it is dead, and all reflex has ceased, by mishandling the head and accidentally puncturing your skin with a fang.

7 Likes

Black snakes have fangs? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Just a typical idiot reporter building the story up.

5 Likes

This one didn’t get away !

8 Likes

My Broadhead Skink is back living on my porch, it’s a male because he’ll get a red head when breeding season occurs.

9 Likes

My grandmother told me when she was really young that a black racer began following her on the path to and from the one room school house several days in a row. She didn’t think too much of it until she said something to her dad about it…the very next day he killed it.

5 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes