M*CARBO Brotherhood

Slam Fires On SK2? Myth Or True Concern?

All Things SUB-2000!

2 Likes

My Question for the Troops is this Does it Happen Often ? Complaint, Cause, and Remedy to Prevent this! I don’t Recall any Posts on this Subject in the last couple of Years. You hear the term and it’s always in the back of the old mind’ Just wondering.

6 Likes

@DivaMarie I just found someone’s post online where this happened to his Sub, most answered with a dirty gun/bolt. The firing pin sticks forward in the bolt and as bolt slams forward it fires the next round. Does not sound to common but apparently has also happened in other guns.

7 Likes

the Makarov I EDC is a slam fire firearm, full floating firing pin, no spring, you drop it on the hammer safety off, hammer down it will go bang.

all my years, ive dropped a lot of things, but ive never dropped a weapon.

going by the design of the firearm, it would take a couple of issues to make it slam fire.
IF you had the Heavy Bolt, and IF you had a protruding bent firing pin, and IF you slammed it down on the muzzle brake really hard, inertia might cause it. or IF you repeatedly slammed it on the butt till the buttplate shattered, it might trip the trigger.( Its not a M1 Garand with a steel buttplate, not enough Mass and weight to buttstroke a aggressor with)

you can make just about any gun go bang if you beat it hard enough.

I figure, and thats JM2C, which might get ya a cup of black coffee… is that a lot of reported slam fires are actually finger caressed the bang switch and didnt want to own up to the AD.

more knowledgeable people might better explain it that i can,.

7 Likes

@DivaMarie ah, the myth of the open bolt and slam fires lives on!

Walk into any gunshop and sooner or later someone will tell you an open bolt weapon is dangerous because it is prone to slam fire’s.

I have only seen this three times in my life and each time it was a M1A and the culprit was primers not fully seated. (Springfield even includes a photocopied article on this with each new rifle.)

I have NEVER seen it happen with an open bolt/blowback weapon!

Your firing pin would have to be stuck forward in such a manner that it ignites the primer on contact. This would require both a broken firing pin return spring and so much fouling that I can’t even imagine the weapon not having other critical FTF or FTE issues before that!

I guess it is possible…anything is. But I think catastrophic failures of this type get blamed on slam fire’s when it is actually something else!

6 Likes

As an aside…a catastrophic failure on a blowback weapon usually results when some “genius” gets the idea to speed up the cyclic rate on the weapon.

This results in combustion not being fully contained in the chamber as the shell casing acts as the “piston” on this type of weapon.

Another issue leading to this myth is many blowbacks were cheaply made (think early Sten guns after Dunkirk) and they suffered from failures due to poor quality construction and substandard materials.

4 Likes

the problem on slam fires with the sten was the bolt was heavy enough, (brass bolt on suppressed models) that when dropped it would move enough to rack a round, without engaging the trigger,and fire it (fires from open bolt/fixed firing pin :smiling_imp:) sten was in use up to the late 70s, still as far as i know mK IV still in use in 3rd world.
magazine issues were caused by the person holding the mag as a rest, causing accelerated wear on the catch. Firearm cost roughly 10$ each to produce.

5 Likes

@GOBLIN yeah the fixed firing pin was NOT the greatest idea, but the Brits were trying desperately to equip an army that had left most of their small arms in France.

I believe that is probably where the idea of slam fire blowback weapons that fired from the open bolt started actually.

Good history lesson brother!:grin:

4 Likes

Thank you! for the Reply’s :grinning:

3 Likes