M*CARBO Brotherhood

SKS magazine dropping 2.5 pound trigger spring too weak?

I installed the 2.5 pound sear spring in my SKS and now the first round jars the magazine catch enough for it to pop out and let the mag drop

1 Like

@Bulldog62 Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

3 Likes

@Bulldog62 Welcome to the Hood and Enjoy

5 Likes

@Bulldog62 all SKS Type 56 detachable magazines are aftermarket and not all are created equal some work great, some wont load past 5 rounds and 90 % have latch issues, either they wont come out or they wont lock in well. check the slots, make sure magazine isnt too loose in the well, and check the latch to make sure its engaging properly.

1 Like

not a detachable mag, the pressed steel factory mag that is hinged and spring loaded

1 Like

you load it on a 10 round stripper clip correct?

1 Like

no, in Canada we are limited to 5 rounds, so I load individually

1 Like

the rifle worked with no issues until I added the 2.5 sear spring and a new rear cover that holds a scope mount…

1 Like

ok which style,magazine, the early russian style, that the magazine lips ride in grooves in machined in the bottom of the bolt,(bolt has to be pulled back and moved out of the way to remove magazine) or the “DuckBill” style which is a lot easier to remove but has its issues due to that fact. usually the 'duckbill" magazine utilizes the original magazines dust cover latch in order to be latched in tight. some latch in good , some are loose, due to altered feed lips. do you happen to have a pic of the latching assy/magazine area?
also, what was the original issue that caused the sear spring to have to be replaced?
stuck with 5 rnds only huh, how do they block the mag so it will only hold 5, bullet Button?

1 Like

Tula 1951 SKS, I replaced the sear spring because I saw the MCarbo YouTube video for the 2.5 pound pull trigger kit…lol…in Canada they have added a vertical pin that restricts the distance the follower can drop

2 Likes

2 Likes

which type magazine do you have?

1 Like

note the photo above

2 Likes

alright, your latch, how square does the hook on the latch appear to be, does it look rolled over rounded ect, also, is the lip on the dust cover flat and true to the rest of the surface or angled down from wear and tear.
can you catch a side view (pic) of the latch hook?

1 Like

did you check your trigger pull (out of curiosity) what did it drop to?

1 Like

I dont have a gauge, but it is a lot easier to squeeze…the latch is in mint condition, nicely machined square edges in the hook, the lip on the dust cover is flat and true

1 Like

2 Likes

@Bulldog62 welcome to the forum scott

4 Likes

might as well go ahead and take the next step. pull your trigger group out of the weapon.

My cousins SKS had same issue and he went back to all original and it solved the problem. We both could never figure out why dropping trigger weight amounted to the issues…crazy though.

3 Likes