M*CARBO Brotherhood

Similar Marlin 60 issue

I also have a 79 Marlin with the old feed block. I have a question about the 2 small tits on the inside of the block. Do they reposition the round as it comes up the ramp or can I file them off? I’m still experimenting with ammo that will feed well. Eley sport seems like it is subsonic as they skip every other fire, ie one round fires and ejects then I have to cycle the bolt to chamber the next round. I have the MCarbo spring kit coming with all 3 springs, which leads me to my next question. which spring will help solve my problem with the Eley sport ammo? Thanks in advance if you can help me with any of these issues. ps. I was considering doing the upgrade, but that involves 5 parts that seem to be totally out of stock everywhere. I may have to break down and get a Tikka 1x

3 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood @squirl2hd. By “Similar Marlin 60 issue”, which problem do you mean? There have been a bunch of Model 60 threads in the last few months:

https://forum.mcarbo.com/search?q=marlin%2060

2 Likes

I have been trying to get thru the feeding issues with the Marlin 60. Its from 1979, cleaned her real well, paying particular attention to the feed throat, removing the grit and gunk. trying different brands, but i could only find 100 cci, 1,000 Eley sport and 400 federal HV. It runs a couple shots and then stovepipes,

Guy Godios

1 Like

Stovepipes out the ejection port or in the feed throat? The fix is different for each problem.

Mine will fire one or two, then the round will nosedive in the feed throat and you have to tear the gun down to pry it out. I asked my gunsmith about it and he said it isn’t worth the cost of fixing it - it’s been around the block more than a few times - so it’s sitting it the corner. I may just give it to him for spare parts. It’s not worth anything to me and he’s given me price breaks more than once.

The stovepipe out the ejection port problem has entirely different causes. Here’s a thread that might shed light on that, plus where you can get replacement parts.

Hey guys, new to this forum. I have a 1978 Glenfield Model 60. I bought it in 1991 and fired it very little. Recently I gave it a good cleaning and started taking it to the range. It jammed pretty bad, like every other shot… Just wonder if your familiar with the “nickel fix”. My problem I think is the extractor spring. There’s a few video’s that are helpful using this trick. Also wanted to point out when you install the action the bolt must be locked in the open position, if not you will crush the top of extractor spring and gun will jam. You may already be aware of this, just my 2 cents. I also ordered a complete spring set for mine.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, James, and thank you for your service. I know about the ‘nickel trick’ but that’s for the second gen feed throats. The arrow on the pic is the ejector on first gen feed throats. Not sure which gen @squirl2hd has but maybe he doesn’t know about the nickel trick.

My 60 (Glenfield) will raise the cartridge from the tube and promptly nose-dive it, jamming the rear of the case tight against the feed lips. It’s like the shell isn’t being pushed all the way back before the lifter raises it, but I replaced the magazine tube and spring. The bullet isn’t catching on the feed ramp - every part of it is polished and smooth. My gunsmith can’t find what’s causing the jams. I’ve seen used fcg’s for $90 on eBay but there’s no way to know if they have the same problem, and the same parts causing my issues may be worn out too. Besides, resale value on a Marlin/Glenfield in this ‘well-used’ shape is only around $125. I’d rather spend that money on a better rifle.

Thanks Steve, it is stovepiping out the ejection port.I saw his thread and was wondering how it worked w/o the spring, so I was filing that solution in the back of my head to try if nothing else worked. I’m going to clean it up again real good, use some Butches in the barrel, polish the feed throat real good and install all the goodies from the trigger spring package. I will be patient and try 1 fix ata atime. I have 2 ranges i can go and test my tweaks.My 1 wild card is which spring to use for the recoil. I have the hyper, the standard , and the subsonic. This would apply to my issue when using Eley sport. It will fire once, then I have an empty chamber and have the cycle the charging handle to load a round. fires and then an empty chamber, like its a subsonic round but its 1050fps. only happens with the Eley. ill let you know if I finally figure it out. Thanks for the help

Guy Godios

phuzzy42 Regular
November 28

squirl2hd:

It runs a couple shots and then stovepipes,

Stovepipes out the ejection port or in the feed throat? The fix is different for each problem.

Mine will fire one or two, then the round will nosedive in the feed throat and you have to tear the gun down to pry it out. I asked my gunsmith about it and he said it isn’t worth the cost of fixing it - it’s been around the block more than a few times - so it’s sitting it the corner. I may just give it to him for spare parts. It’s not worth anything to me and he’s given me price breaks more than once.

The stovepipe out the ejection port problem has entirely different causes. Here’s a thread that might shed light on that, plus where you can get replacement parts.

1 Like

Thanks James, I was aware of that and i’ve gone through all the basic stuff but its good to be reminded. sometimes we fix it once and think it won’t break the same way and ignore the obvious. Good luck with your spring kit. By the way, Steve had sent me a blerb about 1 guy that had the ejection issue and he removed the spring completely and it ejects from the bump on the throat…I think I said that right. I haven’t tried that but i’m putting it in my bag of tricks if nothing else works. Good luck and stay safe

Guy Godios

1 Like

Sorry phuzzy I called you steve, saw that at the top of my e-mail. I do have an older Marlin@1979, so is that thread below saying you need the spring for older blocks, or you don’t need it
confused in Tonawanda

Guy Godios

phuzzy42 Regular
November 28

squirl2hd:

It runs a couple shots and then stovepipes,

1 Like

I don’t care what you call me - I’ve been called lots of things, many of them less-than-nice. :grin:

The older model has the two-part feed throat and uses the spot pointed to in my pic to eject. It doesn’t even have a spring over the top of the feed throat.

Thanks Guy appreciate it.