M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sighting In Red Dot For S2k

If I have time this afternoon I’m going to sight in my Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot for my sub2k. I was just curious what distances people sight there Sub2k’s in at.

4 Likes

I use a 25 yard zero. It covers my intended uses for it mainly plinking, competing, running and gunning. Sitting on a bench trying to get MOA or whatever isn’t really my jam though.

5 Likes

Dot, laser and irons presently at 25 yards.

When she gets her eagerly anticipated M*Carbo Hinged Optic Mount (@ChrisNelson) I plan to lose the Irons and move the dot zero to 100 yards. I simply don’t feel the current cant well enough to target at 100 yards - better with the irons at 100 for now.

6 Likes

Sight at 25 yds, but test at 50, 75 and just for fun 100yds. Test with both range rounds and personal defense rounds so you know your aiming points at all distances. Create a cheat sheet and keep it in your weapon case so you have a quick reference and don’t have to try to recall from memory.

10 Likes

25 yards, I’m never going to shoot anything past that in a USPSA match

6 Likes

Thats a good tip I’ll take.

3 Likes

Thanks guys! I figured 25 yards would be all I ever use it for. I’ll definitely have to try it at longer distances with different rounds.

4 Likes

I agree with most of the others, 25 yards is good for most uses of the Sub 2k

4 Likes

I am going to set mine for 20 yards. I feel that is all the farther I need it for. If the distance is going to be 25yards or greater then I will use the AK and if over 100yards then the AR. Much more then that and I can’t see it anyway.

5 Likes

I’m your huckleberry for 9 yards​:boom::boom:

7 Likes

Well after sighting in at 25 yards, I can say that a red dot is a must for the sub2k. I can also say that I’m not a fan of the MI optic mount. I can’t wait for the new mount to come out.

8 Likes

Yes, I agree with all of that. I mostly shoot the longer distances and prefer to shoot FMJ 180 grains.
The performance from the 135 gr up to the 180gr and all the variables within that. ( ie. tactical, hollow-point, brand, etc) varies greatly.
Dane is absolutely right about keeping accurate numbers specific to every round at each distance (including brand of round, not just bullet weight and design…) they will all be different.

I found the hollow-points to all have their own specific personalities, and especially the lighter ones to be affected by the wind quite a bit. they seemed kind of erratic.
At the longer ranges anyway. 50 to 125 yrds…
That is in 40 cal

5 Likes

Red dot at 25, irons at 75.

2 Likes

That sight is a beast. I have the same one and it shoots lights out. I use my sub for home protection and zeroed it at 7 yards. I figure that’s about the farthest distance I would have to use it inside my house. All depends on what you’re using it for but as almost everyone else has said, 25 is pretty standard.

5 Likes

As a gunsmith I can’t agree more. Unless you are using it for long distance or competition 25 yards will put you in the ball park. But as I tell my customers you must try out further yardage’s so you can be familiar with where the weapon hits just Incase you need that long of shot.

3 Likes

on my sub 2000, (gen one) im running the red lion front iron, Mcarbo rear flip up, red lion rail sys, (waiting on the bar and i will install all the Mcarbo internal up grades) I dialed in the irons at 100yds, and put a less expensive Tru-glow Triton tri-color 20mm dot on it thats a perfect co-witness. I have rolled 1000 rounds thru the sub2000, with the tru-glow, and had no issues with the less expensive tru-glow, where i had problems with a more expensive aimpoint

4 Likes