M*CARBO Brotherhood

Sig red dots suck

Has any one else had issues with these? I had a Romeo 4 last about 60 rounds of 5.56 b4 it decided to only work every now & again. My local shop let me exchange it for one of the higher $$$ versions. A Romeo 6T. It was dead right out of the box!! Took it back & tried a Romeo 6H. Learning from my past errors of judgement…we tried it in the store. DOA!! Purchased a SIG P365xl w/a Romeo 0 Micro Red Dot. On the 4th shot the glass fell out!! These aren’t cheap optics. The 6T’s were 4 bills each. The 4 was 3 bills.
I use Leopold DPP’s & Vortex Vipers on my carry gear. And I’ve recently started using Holosun Green Dot’s. Great bang for your $$. BTW; my local shops distributors quit carrying SIG Red Dots.

6 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

3 Likes

I’ve got a Romeo 5 on my Sub 2k 9mm for 1000rds now and it works great!

3 Likes

Not impressed with the romeo 0 i have on my xl, itll be getting swapped for a holosun later this year when their narrow optic comes out which is supposed to fit the romeo 0 cut from what i remember reading

3 Likes

I saw the Micro Holosun at the Shot Show. It looked great. It was hands off… I know it’ll be better than the Sig Zero.

3 Likes

Idk if it’s the emitter or the plastic lense (probably both) but the dot on the romeo 0 is very diffuse, that’s my biggest complaint with the sight so far.

3 Likes

Running five Sig optics here, four Romeo 5 and a Romeo 1. Never a problem in tens of thousands of rounds so far. Who knows tho, that could all change tomorrow.

I will be waiting for the Holosun 507k in lieu of the Romeo zero tho.

1 Like

I recently got a bushnell lil p sight. It’s a prism sight but it’s tiny. The glass is crystal clear and the sight picture is very nice!

1 Like

Any chance they could have been counterfeit? I read somewhere a report that a guy got a stupid cheap name brand red dot and he called the manufacturer (don’t remember which one). They walked him through going over the optic and box and when done there was no doubt it was a fake.

He bought it through Amazon and they fully refunded him.

7 Likes

Amazon is loaded with conterfit items these days, esp gun stuff.

7 Likes

Yep! If the price is too good to be true that is the first thing to suspect. Buyer beware.

Now saying that, you can get workable items. Just don’t expect name brand performance.

3 Likes

Alot of the obvious counterfit items ive seen on amazon lately are priced like theyre the real thing its safer just to assume if its amazon its probably fake

7 Likes

Nope!! From my local gun shop. Been dealing with them for years. My 1st thought was could they be fake. I’ve been insured that they were legit. I called SIG USA & they told me the S/N: 's were from them.

3 Likes

That’s the reason I stopped buying on e-bay years ago !

3 Likes

that’s interesting to hear about negative experiences with the sig optics. I have a romeo 5 on one of my 12 gauges shotguns and it’s been great for me. it’s one of the winchester marine models and it’s been through 2 seasons of saltwater duty offshore where the gun and optic take a bit of a beating inside my console. I also use that shotgun for the handloaded slugs I’ve been loading, it’s been 100% reliable for me and hasn’t lost zero with around 100 slugs. with the screw-in chokes I’ve also shot a couple dozen magnum turkey loads with that setup, again the optic has been 100% (holds zero, minimal starbursting, battery life is great). until reading this post I’ve been thinking the sig optics are a no-brainer for the price. I’ll def research more before buying another one if there’s some horror stories out there. alabama arsenal’s review of the romeo 5 suggests a rugged and good value optic, matching my experience to date

3 Likes

Think quality varies model to model (and sometimes batch to batch for some fo the lower end stuff) depending on who they outsoutced manufacturing to.

2 Likes

Have a Romeo 5 on one shooter, Romeo 7 on another. No issues. the 5 is on a 308 shorty, holding zero just fine. 7 is on a 223, love it. Great full size red dot.

3 Likes

dang, right. Even Amazon nowadays.

1 Like

Also on the Sig front, have a Sierra 3 BDX 6.5-20×52 Scope, Kilo 2400 BDX Rangefinder, and Kilo 3000 BDX rangefinding binos. All top quality stuff. Also had the opportunity to speak with their technical support on a number of occasions, they know their stuff.

2 Likes

I have a Romeo 5 mounted on a AR9 that was good for the first few years, but after a range session back in February developed some problems. The Red Dot shifted to the lower third of the sight glass and a symmetrical glare of red started to cover up a good portion of the sight in low lighting? I reached out to Sig about the problem, as their optics have a 5 year, “we’ll cover anything” warranty. It took them a few weeks to get back to me, which was fine with all the covid 19 stuff going on, but man were they a PITA about wanting to do anything with the optic. I was literally told on 3 occasions that what I was describing could not happen and that everything was normal. It wasn’t until I mentioned being .mil, with a long history of using red dots personally and professionally that they agreed to take it back. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I’m still waiting for a response or a repaired/replaced optic?
My impression was that something inside of the optic with the refraction of the red dot shifted somehow? Who knows? I’ve only owned 2 electronic items from Sig, the Romeo 5 and a Weapons light, both of which have required warranty service?
Until this happened, I loved the optic, especially the sleep/wake up feature. Most people seem to have good luck with them, so my hope is this was just a fluke and am looking forward to getting it or something back soon.

2 Likes