Shooting Back Stop

Anyone have any ideas for a shooting back stop other than rail road ties or dirt bank?

3 Likes

I have a few shooting areas on my property. 3 are centered around a berm. But I have another area that I used railroad ties backstopped by 125 or so 50lb bags of sand. I suppose you could use a stack of sandbags without the railroad ties.

4 Likes

One of our local gun ranges uses old tractor tires covered in dirt for the hundred yard range.

4 Likes

@aadavis94 @silverstring I’ve been looking into using pallets and covering them with plywood then filling them with rubber chips.

2 Likes

You will be replacing the front side plywood on a regular basis. But should work for most pistol calibers as long as there is enough rubber filler.

3 Likes

I have been thinking about that too. I have a couple houses that have been built near me in the last few years that prevent a short range pistol target range behind my house, unless I can make a 100% ricochet proof bullet stop that I am comfortable and confident with.

3 Likes

How about adding outdated ballistic vest panels into the mix. It should increase the longevity of other components.

4 Likes

@Aslondon where would I find them

2 Likes

Depends on your relationship with local law Enforcement agencies. Sometimes they will just give them to you.

2 Likes