M*CARBO Brotherhood

Shooting a little low and a touch to the right

I have a problem that I would like your guys opinion on. When Shooting rifles I get good groups but they are always a bit low and to the right a smidge. Is their anything I can do to rectify this. It occurs with a couple of different rifles. The problem is with me the shooter and not the guns. any thoughts would be appreciated

. ignore the flyers on the red and black target, they are from a bond arms “wicked” 9mm at 25 yards

7 Likes

@Rob2 Is this while shooting off a bench rested position or standing position ?

6 Likes

the white and black target is with an AR15 standing using mbus sights. the red/black target is a sub2000 using a bipod and stock sights from a bench

6 Likes

I have the same problem with my rifles standing! Usually 2 to 3 inches low after zeroing on a bipod!

5 Likes

what does your trigger, poundage wise, break at

4 Likes

I have no idea. The trigger on the AR is the stock M&P 15 sport2 and on the sub2000, I have the Mcarbo trigger spring installed. Give me a couple of days and Ill pick up a trigger pull gauge and let you know

4 Likes

@Rob2 depending on what you have it zeroed at if its at 100 yards it should shoot a little low at 25 if thats not it it must need to be zeroed plus you could have flinch it means your moving at moment you pull the trigger

5 Likes

Or possibly jerking the trigger. Right handed?

3 Likes

yes Im right handed. Im going to be taking the AR to the range in the next couple of days. Im curious about how using a bipod on it will affect my shot position. an apples to apples comparison if you will. Same rifle same day same ammo and so on, but one target with a bipod and one without. I am sure the problem is with me the shooter. I have considered trigger control, It will be interesting to see. Either way this is why we train. I will post the targets for the group to see. Also I will take measurements of the trigger pull. So we have more info to work with. As Im about to sign off I think I will try this experiment with a brass catcher both installed and with out. Maybe Im anticipating brass bouncing off of the range walls. The range I go to has skinney lanes and the brass has a habit of coming back at you.

7 Likes

@Rob2, that bouncing hot brass can sure distract a fella.

7 Likes

Lmao! I feel kind of stupid!

Both are 5shot groups at 10yrds with my 9mm Sub! The one on the right is with a bipod and the one on the left is off hand. I did not realize that there was a 2 to 3 inch difference from when you zero at 25yds then bringing it back to 10 or 15yds to shoot free hand! I’m also doing the same thing with my AR! So its still me but it’s just not my form! Its was my brain getting in the way or something like that!

7 Likes

It seems as thou you might be anticipating recoil, making you shoot low, and concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back, sometimes to much finger in the trigger will cause you to shoot right but the pulling straight back is the key.

4 Likes

Experiment with finger position on the trigger. I had several of the guys at our company who I had to check out at the range. Both were firing to the left, in their case. I had them move their finger about a 1/4 inch to the right on the face of the trigger, both were right in the bullseye when previously they were off by 4-5 inches. Too much or too little finger on the trigger face will cause you to push or pull your shots left or right.

4 Likes

I havent made it to the range yet, you know with holidays and all. But Ill post pics of the results. lots of suggestions though and I am very grateful.

1 Like

i aiways use the first knuckle, I am going to try and use just the pad next time. Ill let you know

2 Likes

“First knuckle” - that would be the position for shooting a revolver, double action. For a revolver, single action, or a semi auto, use the pad of the trigger finger. Practice dry firing and adjust finger position until you can pull the trigger without the front sight moving. Take up any slack til you hit the “wall” then smoothly increase pressure until the trigger breaks.

1 Like

Well it is getting better. Thank you to all you brothers for the advice. I do wish I could edit out that flyer though. I jerked the trigger on that one. but 120rds at 25 meters with stock sights. I took the brass catcher off, it keep throwing off my concentration. Next to try it on the AR, maybe right after new years

4 Likes