M*CARBO Brotherhood

Self Reliance In A Modern Age

Those were the days!
Men were men and the sheep were scared.

@VAbowhunter @Johnksg @cico7 @GOBLIN those days are gone and look at the world now some people took things too far but for most of us the odd whuppin did more good than harm as for most of us if we got a whuppin we deserved it

:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

@TriggerHappy

Smudge Pots. I have one of those in my rock garden. :+1:

@VAbowhunter

Lol I was the king of stitches as a kid.

@hunter1916 You’re absolutely right! I didn’t get smacked a lot as a kid but when I did, I’ll be the first to admit that it was well deserved. Lying, stealing, and disrespecting my elders were a guaranteed butt whuppin’. Kept me on the straight & narrow and molded me into the man I am today.

@jeffing65 and we’d wear them like a badge of honor. All the other kids would want to see your stitches.

Isnt that the truth. I cussed my dad daily as a kid but as i grew up and raised my own kids i now realize how right he was. I think the only time i ever saw my dad tear up was the day i apoligized for being such a turd as a kid and thanked him for making me the man i have become.

@Texprep
4 years: My daddy can do anything.
7 years: My dad knows a lot, a whole lot.
8 years: My father doesn’t know quite everything.
12 years: Oh, well, naturally Father doesn’t know that, either.
14 years: Father? Hopelessly old-fashioned.
21 years: Oh, that man is out-of-date. What did you expect?
25 years: He knows a little bit about it, but not much.
30 years: Maybe we ought to find out what Dad thinks.
35 years: A little patience. Let’s get Dad’s assessment before we do anything.
50 years: I wonder what Dad would have thought about that. He was pretty smart.
60 years: My dad knew absolutely everything!
65 years: “I’d give anything if Dad were here so I could talk this over with him. I really miss that man.”

@Texprep the only time i seen my father tear up was just last year [hes 93 in june of this year] was when i told him we found our sister his first born been out of touch for 34 years and was declared legaly dead 24 years ago because looked for and not found and after 10 years they do that coz her x husband wanted to remarry ,my mother died not knowing weather she was actually dead or alive ,my father would dearly love to see her at least one more time before he goes she suppose to visit him but dates keep changing ,as for the rest of family don,t care about her she fxxxk off all those years ago leaving 3 babies behind ,

[quote=“VAbowhunter, post:370, topic:3193”]
“I’d give anything if Dad were here so I could talk this over with him. I really miss that man.
[/quote]. Every dam day.
I knew what I knew. We would argue over things “we” knew. Everything else, he knew.

@VAbowhunter Not if you were Smart ! And all the (Back Peddling) and (But Gram’s)Didn’t Help! Once sent on the Mission of Willow Stick Retrieval You were Pretty much up the Creek without a Paddle.

@DivaMarie mean old granny could make those willow switches sing!

I will admit this though…she kept a bunch of big, tough country kids in line and in check and she was only 4’7" tall!

We said yes ma’am, no ma’am, please and thank you; because of her. (Only now that its gone do I realize how important good manners were to a civil society.)

@Johnksg As Far as for the wood shed and butt paddles! I can so relate to your post above, The Expression (Wait till your Father gets home’) My Mother would put the Marks up on the Chalk Board starting Monday thru Friday, Then Saturday AM Dad would take care of the Total for the week,When he got back from his travels.

@DivaMarie yeah I heard that “wait till your dad gets home” bit as well…was pure psyops on moms part! (The anticipation of our impending doom would leave me twisted in knots.)

Yuuuppp!! And I think having to pick my own switch hurt as much as the whipping. If I picked wimpy small switch, I would get a whipping with that and then sent back out to get another. OUCH! That memory still stings. :tired_face:

@Johnksg If I made it past Noon,without a couple of marks on the board it was amazing :joy: ! Of course my Older Brother was Always setting me up for Something,I was such a Idiot at that age.

I had to go out in my yard to find the switch to be beaten with, too.

Seems a lot of parents back then had similar ideas!

Johnksg - Re rainwater collection - Late to reply, but take a look at some of Engineer777’s videos on this. Really quite easy and inexpensive depending on how your house or structures are set up.

Although we’ve got four different water sources on our east Tenn property, two are springs that don’t run all the time and a 3rd’s a 500 ft well that’s not all that great a producer (5-6 gal/min) plus too deep for a simple pump.

We put in a prototype collection system with a simple diverter but Engineer777’s stuff is nicer and more simple. He’s actually putting the runoff and collection through his house filters for everyday use, but also addresses larger scale use.

There’s a guy building a house about 2 or 3 miles from our place who has decided to store rainwater instead of drill a well. In his area, the wells average 1000 ft and are hit and miss. He’s got 4 x 1000 gallon tanks in his basement. Did the math on that given the rain patterns in this area (SE of Knoxville, elevation about 3000 ft). Summer is pretty dry in this area with an average rainfall of a little more than 4"/mon. With his roof’s collection area, he could manage this except he’ll need more storage capacity to take care of summer months. Variables are how many people he needs to manage water for times daily use per person. Some planning docs suggest 50 gal/person/day all in (drinking, cooking, bathing, some garden use…). It’s a straight linear problem though. He says if he’s wrong, he’s got an agreement with the fire department to fill his tanks.

Could work. That math is compelling. A 1000 gal tanks costs about 1k/tank and a 1000 ft well in this area runs 18-20k with no guarantee.