M*CARBO Brotherhood

Scratches on Bolt

Hi!
It hasn’t been a problem but I noticed a nice scratch in the bolt that happened the first time I removed it to clean it. My thoughts are that it came from a sharp edge on the receiver, either the long opening for the charging handle, or one of the stock pin holes? IDK. It’s this bad? It’s not getting worse. Should I check the next time I have it apart and sand off file any burrs if any?
Thanks in advance!
-Lou

All Things SUB-2000!

9 Likes

It has been my experience that it is where the receiver is cut out for the charging handle. I took a small jewelers file and touched up the charging handle slot and it has seemed to stop any new scratches.
I used a dremal with a small deburing bit on another one. Both methods worked fine, just make sure you don’t take off too much material.

10 Likes

Perfect! Thank you @Texprep !

8 Likes

I’ve only shot maybe 400 rounds through my Sub 2k already and the only place the bolt has really worn is right where that slot is for the charging handle. must be pretty sharp to do that.

5 Likes

@jobes94 Im pretty sure the scratch on mine was made when I was removing the bolt for the first time. There was and probably still is a burr. Put a decent gouge into the bolt…

6 Likes

Mine has a scratch also. I think it’s just part of Kel Tecs mating process. Lol.

7 Likes

@Jperr @jobes94 @louie088 Pretty much Standard OP with the sub 2000’
So I just took 4000 grit and 30 wt and mild grit valve lapping compound and Wet Sanded and polished mine,IMG_0041

9 Likes

Looks nice. I would be to nervous to try that. Afraid I would screw something up. I did do the @Texprep dremel thing tho. Worked great.

6 Likes

I really love the look of that bolt @DivaMarie. How does that affect the operation of the sub? does it make it smoother to charge?

6 Likes

@jobes94 Yep it certainly did’ I also took Mini Mag light housing and cut it to length, And Sleeved the double charging handle for a real Hand hold’ and no More (Pinch Pinch / Bite Bite Effect) by handle

7 Likes

If it improves anything its worth doing @DivaMarie :slight_smile: Took my day off to polish the bolt extension. Also got the buffer and recoiless charging handle in the mail today. Overall its so much easier to charge. Can’t wait to take it out to the range!

Got that mirror polish on it :slight_smile: Thanks for the idea Diva

5 Likes

Nice job!:+1::+1: Looks better than mine, But mine looked like Someone had taken a (God da**) chipping hammer to it !
Oh by the Way! Ya Ain’t done yet’ :laughing: Just when you thought you were done! NEXT the inside of the charging Bolt tube. I found a wheel Cylinder Ball Type Hone, Use one of my cleaning rods that fit the Male end of hone, attached to cordless drill slow speeds and oil is cheap’ You want a Good Cross Hatch Pattern! just like if you were honing Engine Blocks for New rings, Just a nice back and forth and don’t stay in one Place, Does not Take A’lot to clean it Up’
and you don’t want to take too Much out, Make a Pass and Ck your work.

6 Likes