M*CARBO Brotherhood

SCCY CPX-2 Frame Pin Removal (McCarbo Springs kit)

I have a CPX-2 that I wanted to give the trigger an easier pull. Experience level is a tech,then engineer for Kodak Film Testing(anybody remember film?), reairing and designing custom apparatus., all befor a Ph.D and a university career. Most relevant is that I also replace the recoil springs and feed ramp(McCarbo replacements) on my Kel-Tech PMR 30.

The CPX firing pin spring replacement was simple. The only detour was when I punched the lever pin down and as I pulled the punch out, the lever popped out under force from the spring, with both the spring and lever hitting my chest and dropping to the floor. Re-installation at the end was accomplished with a “rubber tips” C-Clamp, holding all in place as I easily then re-installed the lever’s pin.

On to the frame and trigger spring. Frame pins. 3/32 punch, hammered the pin a few time, then a few time more. Not a budge. HArder again, till the point I was worried about frame cracking. The pin eventually move out about 3/64". *I stopped after I noticed my punch now had a slight curve in it… :persevere: Quality punch from back in the day at Kodak.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is a May 2020 purchase, probably with SCCY’s oversized pins. Maybe with locktite?

2 Likes

@Professor welcome to the forum robert

1 Like

Glad to have you here

About the same thing happened to me, except my extractor spring glanced off my eyebrow off into never never land, never to be seen again :wink:
Contacted SCCY to buy one and they sent me one free, said it was part of the warranty ? ok
As for the pins, mine were really tough to get out. I used some WD40 squirt the pin and the punch.
Once I got it to move, squirt again and smacked it back in, then turn over and smacked it out.
I think SCCY must have changed something because the pins didn’t just tap out like Chris’s video.
Mine is a newer gun also.

1 Like