M*CARBO Brotherhood

SCCY 2CPX trigger malfunction

Bought this pistol a year or 2 ago. Didn’t fire it much. Recently realized that I had 3 handguns that really needed ‘breaking in’. CPX2 was one of them. Would not feed properly. My FFL sent it back. They kept it about a month. Took it out when returned. Fed fine. But-- and I’ve never had a weapon do this-- I swear it hung fired. You could pull trigger and firing was delayed. Dangerous. Gave it a shot of Ballistol and put the thing away. Had ordered M*Carbo trigger kit. Have never done this kind of take down. Hoping my 79 year old fingers are up to it. Going to do a detailed cleaning job while I’m at it.

1 Like

@Doc Sorry to hear about your problems with the CPX-2. If you thought it was hang firing, it sounds like the ammo’s powder is contaminated with oil or whatever. Did you try a different 9mm load?

2 Likes

I agree with Don, sounds more like an Ammo issue than a gun issue.
Run some fresh Ammo through it before you tear it down.

2 Likes

The sccy has one heck of a hammer spring so I would agree it may be ammo.

Let me know how the mcarbo spring kit works out?

3 Likes

Hang fire was a bad term. In the CPX-2 you can see the striker when you aim and pull the trigger. When I pulled the trigger it did not fall crisply on the firing pin but seemed to creep a bit. This was the first time I had fired it since SCCY had returned it to me. Cannot believe they would have returned a dirty weapon. I have field stripped the weapon. Nothing looked particularly dirty. I gave it a shot of Ballistol and put the thing away. When the trigger springs arrive I’m going to do some serious cleaning and if I feel the need do some polishing while I’ve got it apart. But at this point I don’t think anything will ever allow me to use this for a carry. I’m no expert. I am a Vietnam vet, served with 5th SF, and I suppose just old school. Give me a double/single action with an exposed hammer. The two semi-autos I trust the most are my old 1911 and my Bulgarian Makarov.

Doc

2 Likes

Hang fire was a wrong term. Striker did not fall crisply when trigger was pulled. Seemed to creep.

1 Like

Is it possible lube is in the firing pin channel causing hydraulics to slow the firing pin/striker? You can get the same effect as hydraulic brake fluid that can slow the striker down enough so it delays or gets a light strike. I know it’s counter-intuitive but that channel needs to be dry.

1 Like

I’m not making myself clear. I pulled the trigger-- I can see the striker— and instead of falls crisply it creeps- moves very slowly for a moment-- then releases and fires. Once the striker drops it fires just fine. But the release of the striker after trigger pull is delayed. It does not fall immediately and crisply when trigger is pulled. It ‘creeps’ for moment-- moving very slowly initially-- then falls and fires. When I put the spring set in I am going to do some serious detailed cleaning and if I think I need to some polishing of moving surfaces.

1 Like

OK, got it now!
That is an internal hammer on the SCCY and it sounds as if yours is malfunctioning.
I would communicate directly with SCCY as I know their customer service is good.
It should be down to them to take care of your gun.

Polish anything that moves against anything else even if you don’t think it needs it. Almost always helps and almost never hurts.

1 Like

Spring kit arrived in mail today. When I take pistol down (new experience for me) I’m going to do a detailed cleaning. Also, I had given it a ‘shot’ of Ballistol after shooting it. dry fired it yesterday and seemed OK.

Doc

It could also be too much oil. Oil works it’s way into the primer and
delays firing the round AKA “hangfire”. Try easing up on the lube and see what happens.

Thanks. Weapon was ‘as is’ when returned by SCCY to fix ‘failure to feed’. I gave it a light squirt of Ballistol and problem ended. I have an M*Carbo spring kit for the handgun. Never have done that kind of detailed disassembly before and planned a total ‘deep clean’ when I did. In all honesty, I have put off the the installation long enough. Hopefully with the instructive videos and correct tools it will be no problem. Thanks for the input.

Doc

1 Like