Sandbag filler options

So I just got a pair of sand bags to replace my “wonky foam block”; been reading that people fill them with media other than just sand (rice, cat litter & such) Just wondering what the benefits/drawbacks are from using them with different fillers - what do you use?

6 Likes

I guess that would depend on the bag itself.

How well does it seal = Does dust come out of it at all?

How thick is it = Thinner walked material may still allow some coarser media to be harsh on your guns finish.

Some medias (rice litter) may not fare to well in some conditions.

If you reload, may I recommend spent tumbler media if not too sharp or oiled.

6 Likes

Sand can work through the pores of some fabric. I made some bags using polyethylene beads from the craft store poured into old tube socks. These are the type of beads used to fill some stuffed animals. They are inert, will not absorb moisture and are far lighter than sand. Of course, if you REALLY need the most stable rest possible, sand is hard to beat - once you have firmly seated the firearm.

11 Likes

I’ve personally used kitty litter in some Caldwell bench bags, seems to work pretty well. I’ve also heard of folks using crushed nuts shells (walnut, I believe), might have the advantage of not being as absorbent as kitty litter.

Just checked my Protektors, thought they might have been walnut but looks like they’re sand.

7 Likes

I used cat litter in the cheap set i got couple years ago. It has worked fine but i havent had them out in the rain or anything like that either. The bags i got has velcro closure to feel and unfeel them but once i got them feeled where i wanted them i closed the velcro then folded and sewed it shut tight. I like the plastic beads idea maybe could buy a big box of those cheap airsoft bb’s would probably work real nice. Now thinks to @JoeFridaySays looks like i got make another set with plastic beads for the heck of it.

8 Likes

My go to… 2020202020

6 Likes

Or pick up a few Beanie Babies at a yard sale then gut them.

6 Likes

Sounds like you’re condoning the disembowelment of $hit children’s toys…and while I’m all for it, pretty sure the liberals are going to have something (stupid) to say about it, followed shortly by the formation of a committee to investigate the issue, eventually resulting in bullshit legislation protecting the rights of inanimate objects everywhere…when will the hate end? :crazy_face:

I say gut 'em! :smiling_imp:

9 Likes

A friend of mine uses bags of shot. They seem to have a plastic liner of some sort.
Don’t know how well it would stand up to water.

6 Likes

Just so happens i have a box of beanie babies in my storage building from when i got rid of my last ex. They was setting around everywhere. Now i have a use for them. Ill keep yall informed maybe with some graphic pics of the dismemberment. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Cool. You should do a beanie voodoo doll!

5 Likes

Maybe just decapitate all the beanie critters and sew there heads together into a one of a kind sandbag. Or make me a leather body with curves for the rifle to set in and sew 3 or 4 heads on it. :joy: now the wheels are squeaking around in the ol hat rack.

8 Likes

Make a necklace outta the heads and wear it to a toy store :rofl:

6 Likes

Sounds like some fond memories in the making. :grinning:

6 Likes

I want to see that!!!

4 Likes

Just a heads up - I’d check to make sure what you’ve got before you start gutting them - some are worth over 1K. Would suck to find out you chopped one up to fill a sandbag that you could have sold and bought a new piece with the proceeds.

The Most Valuable Beanie Babies.

In my travels today, I’m a gonna stop by the Hobby Lobby & see what they got.

8 Likes

That is why I suggested yard sale ones. The market for Beanies has softened considerably and the “asking” prices don’t reflect actual sales. Still, a few of them can be quite valuable - if you find the right buyer…

4 Likes

If you are concerned about dust filtering through the cloth bag, put the sand ect. in a plastic bag first.

4 Likes

I’m not worried about it. I don’t use one. Was making a recommendation to another member. There are also good poly sandbags out there that really don’t leak through, but cost a bit more :v:t2:

Welcome to the show!

1 Like

So this is what I went with - inert plastic beads, not effected by humidity, not so fine that leaking could be an issue but stable and solid like sand.

5 Likes