M*CARBO Brotherhood

SAI Hellcat Review

Hi all! Here’s my take on this new pistol. Let me know what you think!

Howard

11 Likes

Thanks for the video, Howard. Although I am not in the market for another concealable carry handgun, the Hellcat has a lot of advantages over my KelTec PF9 – mostly in the increased round capacity and the new sight picture.

7 Likes

@hrfunk
Way Cool :v:
I’m Very interested in the Hellcat.
@GOBLIN turn me on to this sometime ago.
This will in up in my collection someday. Soon I hope.
“PRIMER DRAG”
I haven’t hear this before. I sense I can lean something now. Please elaborate. The close up in the video was not clear.
Is this a example of “primer drag”

Thanks Mr H. R. For the video and help.

7 Likes

Yes. That’s primer drag, although it’s not too bad. It occurs when the cartridge is extracted and ejected before the firing pin can retract. It’s most common in small, light, pistols firing relatively powerful cartridges. Depending upon several other variables, it can potentiually result in a broken firing pin or malfunctions in cycling. So far, it has not caused any issues with my Hellcat. If I do have a problem, I’ll let you know.

Howard

9 Likes

@hrfunk
Learn something everyday here.
That’s why I join the Brotherhood :v:

8 Likes

I’ve not heard of that phenomenon either, thanks for mentioning it. I’ll have to start looking at some of my fired cases to see if I notice that. I’m a bit surprised that the firing pin has not had time to retract before the case is ejected. In more extreme cases I suspect that it WILL damage the firing pin.

6 Likes

Another great video and some good shooting there HR. Thanks.

9 Likes

Thank’s for watching everyone!

Howard

7 Likes

I’m kind of liking the style of that front sight.

6 Likes

I like it more and more every time I shoot it. That front sight really grabs your attention.

Howard

7 Likes

My impression of the “primer drag” is that the firing pins on the latest generation handguns are not completely or perfectly “round”; the shape of the firing pin “protrusion zone” has star-shaped reinforcement ridges coming off the central part of the firing pin.

My impression is the firing pin is not dragging, it is adding its own pattern to the spent primer in sort of a “signature” that the cartridge has been fired from a Hellcat…or other contemporary firearm. S&W 2.0 & Shield are similar.

2 Likes

Love my hellcat!! No issues at all just looking for aftermarket stuff now but not really much yet…

1 Like

The hellcat firing pin is shaped different also kinda oblong looking seems sturdier than sig 365 pin

I think Springfield should have named it CopyCat.

Three reasons he chose it over a P365:

1. Springfield armory has good customer service. Excuse me but all of the reputable manufacturers have great customer service.

2. It holds one additional around compared to the Sig. Okay, that’s his claim to fame.

3. He likes the looks.

I’ve shot both guns back to back and he was honest in saying the CopyCat has a sharper recoil.

3 Likes

I have a Hellcat as my daily conceal gun. I’m a big Sig Fan and depended on one my whole career. I had a chance to fire both before buying.

There was not a lot of difference between the two IMHO. My heart said Sig, but my wallet said Hellcat. It is a great little gun, and have not a single feeding issue except when I let my daughter shoot it, and she limp wristed a couple of rounds, probably because she was anticipating the recoil (see below).

Which brings me to, NEITHER of these two guns are very fun to shoot (my 15 YO daughter’s favorite gun to shoot is my Mossberg 500, tricked out for raid work, and she was done after one mag). They both have very sharp recoil, but I was shooting hot, defensive ammo and not “practice rounds”. It is important to at least be familiar with what your gun is going to do when you need it. I am a pretty big guy, strong hands, and five decades of shooting. Other than a really small derringer in .32 cal I own, these two guns just plain old suck to shoot. I love my Hellcat and understand the whys, but control and muzzle flip are hard to control unless you have a lot of experience. The next time I take my Hellcat to the range, I’m going to try sub-sonic with a 147 gr bullet. If this helps, I don’t really see myself shooting it again other than practice draws and dry fire practice with my ELMS (laser pulsing snapcap), or if I really need it. I do like the sights and the factory ready mini-optic mount on the Hellcat over the Sig. Before my Hellcat, I used as my daily back-up carry my Glock 26. A little bigger, but still really concealable, and I don’t notice anywhere near the recoil than with the other two.

If you are looking for a first gun, or something to learn to shoot with, neither of these two guns are what you should look at. I have thousands of rounds through my 226 and have NEVER had a single issue. I’ve even tried to limp wrist it and can’t. . There is no FULL FRAME auto-loader I would rather have, and I’ve shot a lot of guns, than my trusty Sig. If you’re looking for an awesome little concealable that has the size of a .380 and the power of a 9mm, then you can’t go wrong with either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3 Likes