M*CARBO Brotherhood

Safety Spring and Detent Kimber Micro 9 Rapide

I’ve gone over the 28 minute video Chris made for replaced the three springs in the Kimber Micro 9, and I’m now at an impasse. The safety spring and detent will not slide down into the hammer bushing far enough that I can slide the safety lever over the detent. Chris used a punch, upside down, and pressed the spring down while pressing forward on the safety lever. Every time I’ve tried that, I end up losing the detent, as it’s round on top and slides right out from under the punch. I’ve tried a micro-screwdriver, but it’s magnetized, and pulls the detent out of the spring. I’ve used a leaf-style feeler gauge, and that doesn’t work, either. The rounded top of the detent makes it difficult to get a good purchase on it, and it’s sprung out at least 4 times, making it a merry search for several minutes while I try to locate this very small piece.

Now, the Rapide is very close in construction to the regular Micro 9, except it does have ambidextrous safety levers. That doesn’t make a difference with regard to the spring, as the detent engages the left safety lever, and the right safety lever uses a flat blade that fits like a screwdriver into a slot on the safety shaft. It also slides over the end of the hammer bushing, which has a rim that fits into a slot on the underside of the lever.
Anyway, any suggestions on what to use to push that spring and detent further down in so I can cover it with the left safety-lever and then move the lever down to the normal position where the detent will rest inside the depression on the underside of the lever?

2 Likes

@Fuzznose
Xtacto blade, sewing needle, lab spatula, bent up paper clip with an end hammered flat, long 1mm Allen wrench.

1 Like

I’ll give them a try. Thank you.

2 Likes

Tried the Xacto blade and a thin leaf-type feeler gauge, watched as the detent flew away time and again. Even when I had it inside a plastic bag and tried to contain the flight, it would still sometimes fly out of the bag. I don’t know what else to use, I don’t know what Kimber uses.
Trying to keep the two safety levers aligned, the hammer bushing all the way in, and then holding the detent just right is beyond my patience right now. I have a $900 paperweight on my desk.

1 Like

Okay, broke down and took it to a local gunsmith and asked her for help. She got it right in…trigger pull averages 5.8 pounds now. Still MUCH better than the 8 pounds Kimber sent back to me, and a whole lot better than the 10 pounds that was on it when I first bought it.

1 Like

Good to hear. Happy shooting!

2 Likes

Take that back, 5 pounds 8 ounces, which is 5.5 pounds…but yes, feels much better. If it weren’t raining so much, I’d have taken it out to the range this morning.

1 Like