M*CARBO Brotherhood

S2K safety hole elongated

I’ve noticed on my new Gen2 S2K, serial number series FFXK** that the safety bar hole is elongated.
Anyone have this? Is this normal on the S2K, looks kinda weird of me. On both sides too.
Sent in a support ticket to Keltec with a pic to verify.

2 Likes

@smokinJoe - No my friend, I don’t think that’s normal at all. Not only is the hole for the safety look odd, but I don’t see a retaining clip. There is supposed to be one on each side.

4 Likes

I took the retaining clips off for the picture

4 Likes

Agreed, that is an ugly hole if i ever seen one. No way that should get through visual QC, much less dimensional…

2 Likes

Inside the hole it looks as machined as any part of it.
Everything with these S2K’s seems to be junk. But they are fun and something to do.

5 Likes

@smokinJoe

And thank goodness we have MCARBO to help fix some of that.

5 Likes

yes indeed, good engineering there

3 Likes

I still maintain it’s a brilliant design, just somewhat poorly implemented (read too much plastic)…but they’re selling the $hit out of 'em so what do I know. I strongly feel that if they started building the Sub9 again, they could sell them just about as well. I believe there is a market for that gun even with increase in material/production costs, and as a result, purchase price.

4 Likes

The problem with kel-tec is fit and finish and a total lack of Quality Control on production output.
Most of these companies have employees who love working there, have a coffee cup and t-shirts but do little more than show up for a paycheck. They need management who can kick some ass and keep things in order. Employ a bit of Lean Six-Sigma and monitor production failures, pretty simple really.
Owners and CEO’s need to stop hiring buddies who do nothing but hurt their business while bragging how good they are on the golf course.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t argue with that as the reason I no longer have mine was due to a quality fitment issue from the factory. All that’s left of it is the serialized bolt tube and a small bag of miscellaneous parts that are typically replaced with MCARBO bits and likely wouldn’t sell on the parts market. GunBroker is my friend. :grinning:

2 Likes

yea right on, I’ve spent about the money I’m going to on this, should have bought a quality Ruger or Colt to begin with.

3 Likes

They are fun to shoot, and quite handy with the folding feature. While I’m glad to see MCARBO do well, I feel like they should come that way from the factory (at the least). They almost need a lot of the upgrade parts.

1 Like

My PMR-30 didn’t even work when I got it

1 Like

I hear you, and my S2K experience is what keeps me from looking any farther into a KSG or the CMR-30, though the latter is a bit of an issue in MD as while the gun is approved for sale, the 30 round mags aren’t legal for sale or transfer within the state (though ownership is no issue, let that sink in…:exploding_head:).

3 Likes

I love unloading a quick 30 rounds at the range with the PMR, the noise and flash gets attention, normally the group in that bay busts out laughing and lots of WTH is that.
The good news I got that baby working well enough to consistently do 30 rounds without a misfeed or misfire. That took a bit of work, and Mcarbo parts.

2 Likes

I have a Ruger PC9. Yes, the build, quality and finish is far better than the stock S2Ks. But, there is a niche for the beloved S2K that isn’t really filled by any of the others. The 16” barrel gives extra energy and accuracy in a smaller package that the more expensive PCCs don’t have. I’m looking forward to the Magpul release of their Backpacker Stock for the PC 9. That will at least give the S2K some competition in the portability arena. I know there are some “better” PCCs out there, but again, the barrel length on the S2K and the Ruger PC9 is a bonus, especially when comparing price and portability.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6 Likes

I sold my S2Ks & purchased a Ruger PC9, I glad I did. Not the same as S2K but I was concerned with reliability for the next 20 years. To many plastic parts in modern firearms, I have a Remington .22 that has been used for the last 60 years. It is still accurate & reliable firearm ! I like wood & steel firearms.

6 Likes

finally got a reply from Keltec, mind blowing, here is the actual response, copy/paste:

Good Afternoon,
I showed the picture to the technician and he advised that it is ok, it is something that happens during the assembly process. It will not cause any issues and it is fine to shoot. If I can be of any other assistance please let me know. Have a great weekend.

2 Likes

I am pleased to say I got extremely fast service from kel-tec on my S2K.
Sent it in 11/2 for grip replacements, elongated safety holes, and received it back today, 11/9.
I got updates when they received it, entered the shop, when finished and sent back.
All went very well, looks great.

3 Likes

People don’t know about the quality issue.
I bought mine for all same the reasons most people did.
“Cool design” “back pack folding gun”. “shoots the same pistol ammo as my Glock and you can swap mags”.
If I knew it was going to be a money pit and fail at the range I would have bought something else.

2 Likes