M*CARBO Brotherhood

S2K - Livin' High On The Hog?

I have never hunted feral hogs. But here in south Louisiana they are all over the place. I had two big sows scare the $h!t outta me one time when I was fishing the northshore of the Rigolets from my kayak and had 'em bust out of the roseau cane not 15 yds from me. They saw me and immediately charged at me. Thank heaven I have a pedal kayak and I was able to hit REVERSE real hard.

Would a 9mm round be enough to kill hogs with my S2K or do I need to kick it up a notch and go to a 5.56mm AR-15?

3 Likes

Not sure about hogs, but I’d think 9mm, even out of a PCC, would be on the light side. I do know a javelina can take a .357mag out of a revolver to the forehead from a few feet away and just shake it off. :flushed:

2 Likes

is that an AMC Javelin you are referring to? amc-javelin-thumb

6 Likes

LOL, no. The peccary kind. They build up some seriously thick skulls from going through all the brush!

3 Likes

PCP hog hunting is alive and well. Seen YouTube videos of it being done with a .25 caliber. Knocks em down like a freight train.

5 Likes

I think something in .30 cal is generally preferred… not too familiar with wild pigs but a big hell yea on the kayak fishin’! I have A Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 that I haven’t been able to use much lately due to shoulder problems - I may need to think about a peddle boat. A good friend in high school had a '69 Javelin with the Mark Donohue 390 and a mild race cam and exhaust headers etc. That thing would almost jump off the pavement when you stomped on it - crazy times :sunglasses: :+1: Poor car met it’s demise with 3 black angus on the highway late one night…

3 Likes

Yeah, there are some mean air rifles out there. They do some serious hot and primate hunting with PCP air rifles like the Sam yang Careers. I think that one even comes in 9mm and beyond. I know they do a .50 cal.

4 Likes

I would say to be safe go to the 5.56mm, I have a friend who hunts hogs with a 17hmr rifle. He was a sniper in the corps. he also uses a 22wmr pistol. the crazy in him tried the broad tip spear that didn’t work so well he ended up with 3 broken ribs. I prefer a heavier round 7.62mm.

3 Likes

where is the thread “all things airguns” ?

2 Likes

It died, no activity for over a month so it was removed.

There’s a vid on YouTube of guy taking a wild pig with .177 pellet gun it’s all about shot placement in that vid drops pig in it’s tracks I’d take a s2k 40 cal any day vs a wild pig I can’t run so I ll stand my ground if I miss I ll empty the clip or get the tusks lol

4 Likes

I’ve killed many hogs out of our trap with a .22lr catching them 7 at a time

2 Likes

if you want to restart another one please feel free to do so.

I’ve seen some great vids on YouTube where in Texas they’ll take you on “guided hunts” for feral pigs. The catch is that the guide is a chopper pilot and you’re in his helicopter raining down hell on 'em from above.

3 Likes

@A-Argh15 That’s not a “catch”, that’s a FEATURE! :+1:

3 Likes

I like the video of the hunter setting up a corn spot with 20lbs of tannerite above it. when the wild hogs come in he waits for about 20 of them then fires one 308 round at the tannerite. After the smoke clears he has to shoot 3 or 4 of the stunned ones the rest are dead from the concussive force.

5 Likes

Holy crap! I’ll bet that was a sight to see. LOL

1 Like

It was great vid wish Tannerite was lower to ground think would have taken all out I have about 9 Acres of land in Alabama currently haven’t seen any wild pigs there but I know there around it’s a open carry state and if you see a wild boar it will charge you so can’t wait to call it home am stuck in Illinois till then

3 Likes

@Jefft1967 Isn’t it basically open season on them year 'round? I think I remember reading that they were considered an invasive nuisance pest since they eat/destroy everything.

2 Likes

Yes they’re not invasive species pretty much open season anytime of the year big little or babies

2 Likes