M*CARBO Brotherhood

S2k Gen2 Bolt Won’t Slide Out Of Tube

All Things SUB-2000!
started to field strip my s2k gen2 40 cal. today.
Pulled buffer, butt stock, slid back bolt, removed spring and charging handle.
Bolt will freely slide back a small amount then sticks solid.
If push it forward enough to put charging handle back in then slide the bolt all the way forward it also has a sticky spot.
I didn’t want to try tapping the bolt out until I asked what everyone thought or if this has come up with anyone.

4 Likes

Can you use the charging handle to guide it up and out?

4 Likes

@jeffing65 Use a small wood dowel rod to push against the bolt face. Look at the bolt closely as it moves out of the receiver tube for any scratches or rub marks. This may tell you where any tight spots are.

6 Likes

No. After pulling the charging handle out it will slide out about another inch or so before it sticks.

3 Likes

I tried pushing against the bolt face and I cant push it out by hand after it sticks. In a position where it was free I rotated it and cant see any marking on it anywhere. I am going to go shoot it right quick then come back home and disassemble it gain. I will take some pics of it where it jams and post them.

2 Likes

Might need more hammer. Try more hammer! Lol

8 Likes

@Kona LOL I think your right. Its going to need a little encouragement. Im going to go shoot it a few times then come back and pull it apart again.

5 Likes

@jeffing65 I agree with @Kona Give it a little more encouragement . :muscle::hammer:

5 Likes

@Kona
@godallmighty
I just got back home. I will pull it apart and see what happens in a little bit.

2 Likes

Agree with the above mentioned advice I did mine this morning before I went to the range

2 Likes

I had a sub gen1 that would do this and a new gen 2 that also did this. It required some gentle tapping on a wood dowel to get it out. after it was out I could see scratches on the solid piece behind the bolt. Inspecting the bore revealed sharp edges on the handle slot. A little light filing with a nail file cured the problem. Do not wait too long to clean after firing too many rounds as tight fit fills with carbon that binds the metal in the tube to the inside diameter. Hope this helps. I have sent my sub’s too keltec for various isses and when they replaced it with a new gen it breaks down easy. Just got it back this week from the barrel replacement recal and have not broken it down yet. Just fired about 30 rounds so it’s not to dirty right now . Will clean after next range trip.

4 Likes

Tapped bolt out with a dowel. I had to tap it out until the charging handle hole was outside the bolt tube.
Then I was able to turn it back and forth and pull it out by hand.
here are some pics showing wear points on the bolt.

2 Likes

The charging handle shows wear and there is some mushrooming at the rear of the buffer pin hole.

1 Like

Here’s my 2 cents worth Jeff. On the forward part of the rear bolt there appears to be 2 grooves. It looks like they follow the charging handle slot. Sand or file the inside of the slot edge as smooth as you can. Take a few cotton balls and shove them down the tube. If there is a rough edge some of the cotton will hang up on it.

6 Likes

@Don68 Your right, that is what is causing those. I can feel a sharp edge along both sides of the slot.
There is a slight ridge where the buffer pin hole is mushroomed also.

3 Likes

Mine did the same when i got it. A 12g bore brush fits perfectly. Clean it, smear it with gun oil and shoot it. I pulled the bolt after each time to wipe it down and it freed up pretty quick.

4 Likes

@Gilligan369 I’m going to file/sand off the sharp edges of the bolt tube and emery cloth the bolt where it had been wearing and I think it will be fine.

2 Likes

@jeffing65. I keep it coated with outers gun grease. Just watch for these marks, my barrel nut wasn’t tight and the play would bind the bolt enough to wiggle on recoil.

4 Likes

I remember seeing that when you first posted it. Mine doesn’t have any marks like that at all.
My barrel nut was loose originally and I tightened it so it shouldn’t be a problem but I will look at it again just to be sure.

2 Likes

@Gilligan369
@Don68
@Kona
sanded bolt tube and bolt with emery cloth, gave everything a good cleaning and reassembled.
The bolt will now slide and can be removed by hand.
Still has a tiny little tight spot but I think it will clear up after running a few rounds through it.
I’ll shoot it for while then break it down and see if it shows any new signs of wear.

Has anyone seen this? It must be from the ejected case hitting it and deflecting off.
It has always thrown brass all over the place with no rhyme or reason. Anywhere from the 1 to 3 o’clock position and usually from 6-12 but as far as 15 feet out.

4 Likes