S&W CSX : It checks all the boxes for me

I am liking what I see with this metal mini. Looks like S&W has decided to come up with something new and different to replace the Bodyguard. I don’t think this will compete too much with the Shield.

Anyone seen it up close and in person?

3 Likes

I am going to 2 sporting stores and my gun club tomorrow (after church of course).
I’ll take a look see and take a video if I find one and post it on my YouTube channel.

1 Like

Awesome. Thx TexEsk!

Checking GB… they are in the channel so most decent gun shops should have one. My problem is there are no decent gun shops nearby. Civilization is two hours away.

Typical online price is around $550. Not bad for an all-metal pistol. The reviews are what they are… most of them over-complimentary as is often the case with new models. S&W obviously paid big bucks for advertising the launch of this new pistol.

Small, hammer fired, manual safety, 10-12 round capacity that is now the standard for small 9’s. No optic bells and whistles. Trigger looks 1911-ish. Reminds me of the small Kimber’s but not as pretty. Hopefully not as temperamental as the small Kimber’s can be about ammo. I loved my Solo. It was a work of art. The CSX is calling my name.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the CSX in person yet. I’ve watched a handful of reviews on YouTube and it seems as if it has a common complaint. The trigger. I’m not a trigger snob, all of my guns have factory triggers in them (my Savage Axis does have the MCARBO treatment though). But the complaint is there’s a click that you feel that feels like a reset, but it isn’t actually a reset, the trigger needs to be pulled further for the reset to happen.

5 Likes

As I have mentioned a bunch of times, I don’t futz with triggers on EDCs. Only long guns and pistols I use for shooting paper - and formerly competing. Factory triggers all have their idiosyncrasies. I like to keep it simple: Don’t like Korean cars? Don’t buy a Kia. Or… If the trigger sucks or you just don’t like it, don’t buy the gun.

I’m hoping somebody has had some hands-on with the CSX. But I’ll check those UBoob videos.

1 Like

Only if it was that simple. Sometimes you need to shoot the gun for a couple hundred rounds to see if the trigger gets better or not. And you can’t return guns, only sell them at a loss.
So if a after-market trigger fixes a problem… it’s less of a loss in a way.

I replaced the plastic trigger on my Hellcat, with an aluminum one, and couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

I don’t do any hand wringing over EDC triggers. Don’t care. I train with the gun I chose without modification. That point of view centers around a philosophy that some don’t agree with. That’s OK. It makes no difference to me what somebody does to their gun.

My goal for an EDC is to yank it out of the holster and put a round into the bad guys center mass. I don’t give a rip if the hole is to the left, right, up or down by an inch. Then, if that’s not enough one in his melon. Again, it makes no difference what part of his skull the round enters. Shooting tight groups in that scenario is not a factor.

I don’t want a striker fired pistol with a round in the pipe and a light trigger stuffed in my pants. I aim to keep Big Joe and the Twins nice and safe.

Legally, I’m not convinced futzing with a factory trigger is a prudent move under certain circumstances. I don’t modify a gun that I may have to use in self-defense. Meaning… I’ve shot someone and now face the usual investigation that goes with any shooting incident. I don’t want to give a gun-hating DA or the perps lawyer an opportunity to ask if I thought of myself as a gunfighter. Or suggest that my weapon fired prematurely because I modified it. That may all seem far fetched - but my trust in gun hating lawyers playing fair or even being reasonable is zero.

Long guns and pistols I use to shoot paper… no problem. I usually do upgrade the triggers in some manner. Just not my EDC. Which is the Hellcat.

The complaints I saw about the CSX trigger wasn’t about shooting tight groups. They were having issues about the gun not firing because the click they felt in their finger made them think the gun was ready for the next shot. I do see your point though, if you dedicate time for training with that specific setup, it’s probably something that a shooter can overcome

3 Likes

Understood. One of those things that you have to get a feel for by handling the gun in the LGS. Buy online… you take that risk it’s not going to work for you. I dont disagree with you or @SoNic on that point.

I would further debate that nobody is going to nitpick about reset under duress. A real-world self defense situation. On the range or doing reviews, we all tend to be very particular.

1 Like

@Dung here’s one of the videos I referred to earlier. These guys aren’t competitive shooters, so they aren’t as obsessed with aftermarket triggers. Skip ahead to about 2:20 in the video (they just go over the specs in the first bit of the video)

2 Likes

There’s no wiggle room in his assessment. He hates it. I’ll need to get my hands on one. The only thing that jumps out at me with this opinion is he keeps saying it’s not the Shield. It’s really not meant to be.

2 Likes

Did you catch the Hi-Point flying apart when he pulled the trigger? Made me laugh. Thx for posting. There’s enough evidence to question the CSX but I have to see it myself now. I thought about ordering one online but now I’ll wait.

2 Likes

I did. It was a good laugh

2 Likes

I got one about three weeks ago now I guess. I’ve had it to the range a couple of times and have about 150 or so rounds through it. I like it. It’s not my carry gun or anything, I just got it sort of for grins and giggles.

All the ammo I’ve fired has been my reloads, Berry’s plated 115 grain RN, with the exception of a handful of various factory HP’s left over from one box or ther other. No idea how many or what brands tossed in with the reloads and run through the gun at random. All ammo functioned without a problem.

Couple of things I don’t like first. One is the ten round magazine. Pretty much a waste to me. Just give me two twelve round magazines and be done with it. Yes, I’m sort of greedy.

The other thing was the grip stippling. Nothing a couple of minutes with an emery board couldn’t fix.

And I wish it had night sights like my 9mm EZ PC has. That would have been nice.

Now…the trigger. I had to google “trigger reset” to figure out what the heck the U-tubers were talking about. I suppose I’d heard the term, just never paid much attention to it. I can find the “false reset” IF I hold the gun up to my ear, and slowly let the trigger come out. I’ve never noticed it when shooting or when not looking for it.

When I first got the gun, I thought the safety was on the first time I tried to dry fire it. I don’t know what I expected the trigger to be like, but eventually it broke, very quickly and cleanly. I didn’t have a trigger gauge, but after I dry fired it a few times I determined it “wasn’t too bad.” I shot it some, dry fired it a lot and it got better or I just got used to it. One of the two. Then I broke down and got a trigger pull scale, and found the trigger breaks consistently at 4.5 pounds. Rather it was like that first I don’t know. If there is any movement before it breaks I can’t tell it. As I said, I’ve only got about 150 rounds through it, but I have dry fired it a BUNCH. I just don’t see a problem with the trigger.

It’s somewhat difficult for ME to shoot accurately, but no more difficult than the Kimber Micro 9 I used to have, Both of those guns have one thing in common and that’s short sight radius. As a matter of fact, the CSX is a little easier than the Micro 9 because the grip is fatter so I can actually hold onto the gun. (The Kimber was really pretty, but those smooth wood grips slipped after my hands started to sweat.) When I sat down at the bench and rested my elbows on the bench, I proved to myself that the gun wasn’t the problem. A shakey old man with a bad back, bursitus, carple tunnel, and a floater in my right eye is the problem.

I found the CSX fit into the same Don Hume J.I.T. belt slide holster I had for the Micro 9 without a problem, and I found a “no name” Kydex IWB holster on EBay for about twenty-five bucks. I don’t plan to carry it, but I like to have something just in case.

Hope that helps a little…

5 Likes

Actually, it helps a ton! Thanks for all the detail.

You highlight a persistent theme with many (but not all) YouTube reviewers. Most of them are full of s#!t. They pretend to be firearm engineers or scientists, making a living telling people which screwdriver is better than another. Many also imagine themselves as reality show stars and create drama where there is no need for it.

I vaguely mentioned the similarity to the Kimber. I’m a Kimber fan and accept the fact that they are beautiful and temperamental - like most of my exes :).

On the subject of reset… the most exaggerated non-problem ever. It does matter on a finely tuned target or competition pistol. And aids in keeping a follow up shot on target with a semi-auto long gun. That’s IF the shooter is skilled enough to take advantage of a short reset. If you aren’t competing, in a combat role or an LEO, obsessing over reset is mostly internet gun forum chatter.

I’m sure some will disagree with that point of view. I formulated it a long time ago and it’s based on some very skilled trainers I had the good fortune of spending time with over the years. Most notably, a guy who was a Special Forces veteran with several tours of duty in VN. He was hardcore. I was in my late 20’s and fairly new to defensive pistol shooting techniques and drills. Like most newbs I obsessed over features and functionality of one gun vs. another. He finally had enough of my rambling and told me to quit thinking and pull the f__ing trigger. He went on to say it’s not about the f–ing gun, it’s about you: Your instincts, discipline, technique, and situational awareness. He incorporated at least one f-bomb in every sentence. Sometimes two. Another time he related this a different way. He asked me if I wanted to learn defensive shooting or be a gun critic. As gruff as he was, he was a great teacher and I never forgot his lessons. Obviously, I also adopted his philosophy: “It ain’t the gun, it’s you.”

I’ll take it all in… including the UBoob reviews. Then make a decision.

4 Likes

The bearded big guy… I watched it again. I think he overlooks one thing… the gun is all wrong for him. Not necessarily everyone else. The guy has hands the size of a first basemen’s glove. Most of the micro 9’s are going to be awkward and have some slide bite for him.

2 Likes

Yeah, YouTube reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. The one thing I often have to remind myself is they are getting paid in some form to do these reviews. As far as the CSX goes, I’d love to take one for a test drive.

4 Likes

I tried one at The Gathering event in SC last week.
The trigger didn’t bother me at all, felt fine. Nice little pistol IMHO.

3 Likes

Did you get to fire it or just handle it/dry fire? I’m interested in your opinion on felt recoil if you have one Some reviews said… too snappy. That’s subjective. Hard for me to interpret. I think it was meant to suggest that the metal frame (and weight) doesn’t mitigate recoil as expected.

1 Like

The CSX is a derivative of the 1911 design. Like the Kimber Micro 9 and Sig 938. A few others also. Colt Defender, etc. I guess it comes down to is it better. CSX capacity is far better, but I’m not hung up on needing 12 rounds for a small carry gun. Nice to have, not mandatory for me.

I found a shop that has a CSX an hour and a half away. I’m going to go check it out Saturday. It may follow me home, it may not.

1 Like