M*CARBO Brotherhood

S&W 686 vs Taurus 66 .357

I am looking to buy a .357. I am comparing the S&W 686 vs the Taurus 66. Both have a 6" barrel and lifetime warranty. Besides the difference in price almost $300.00, what are some of the pros and cons of each?

3 Likes

686 will hold it’s value and will be backed by Smith and Wesson, taurus is like metro pcs, you’ll get service when you get it, I’ve heard some people get great response from taurus support, I have not experienced that. Taurus will also lose value like all taurus’ do. I’m not a revolver guy but if I had one, it would be the 686.

2 Likes

I got the Smith & Wesson Model 686Plus TALO Special Edition with 3” barrel. Not sure of the differences between the two, there was just no doubt I was going with the S&W. Long history with the brand vs none with Taurus. Took me a minute to get used to the un-fluted cylinder, but now I’m quite smitten with it.

It’s my favorite gun of the batch!

8 Likes

Them is some pretty guns sir, I like! I don’t really like a lot of revolvers because of the fact that if it jams, there’s really nothing you can do in the field but there are definite advantages to a revolver and I like the way they look.

2 Likes

like has been said, the S&W686 will hold its value , and you can pass it down to your great grand children. Taurus works, but doesn’t hold its value as long, and depending on the model, can be problematic. I stress 'Can" because ive had no problems with any of mine.
I like the 44 mags, in a revolver, I have a S&W model 29,4" that I picked up used and abused, and refurbished to exactly what i wanted, (re- timed, refinished ect) and I also have a Taurus Tracker, 4" barrel ported (5 rnd) that I carry every day in my EDC bag, goes bang everytime i pull the trigger, and is accurate, but if something happened, and i lost the bag, I could replace it a lot cheaper and easier then the model 29.

3 Likes

I hate to do this and be that guy. But I decided on a GP100 with the 6” barrel.

6 Likes

I like the Ruger, personally, I would still go with the Smith just because Smith has been making revolvers since the beginning of Time it seems like but the Ruger is a nice revolver, I don’t have any personal experience with it but Ruger has pretty good service too

3 Likes

Go with the Smith & Wesson, youll get a much better gun and be much happier with it.

Seen too many issues with taurus guns to be willing to reccomend them. Recently, had saw a brand new (dude bought it the week before
1st range trip with it) taurus plastic j-frame clone literally fall appart, terminally self disasembled, after about a box and a half of Winchester white box .38 special, no sketchy reloads, +p, or .357, just factory range ammo.

4 Likes

can’t say I’ve ever seen anything like that, I’ve actually had pretty good experiences with the taurus, I just don’t think their service is very good on the back end for any issues, every judge and public defender I’ve shot ran flawlessly but when I tried to contact them about a timing issue that wasn’t really much of an issue but how it can be adjusted, it took them over a week to tell me that it needs to go to a gunsmith for them to tweak it. I don’t think that answer was justifiable for a almost 2 week turn around and I’ve heard horror stories of a malfunctioning gun taking 6 months or more to get back from taurus, that is just not acceptable in my book.

3 Likes

Not saying all tauruses are garbage, but in my personal experience taurus lockwork is rougher and more fragile than S&W, Ruger etc both in terms of trigger feel and machining quality visable on inspection, and Taurus has problem guns more frequently than many other brands. In my experience guns like the judge, raging bull, and other recoil heavy guns from them tended to have fewer issues mainly because they were sjot less. Used to work at a gunstore, and saw a decent number of tauruses/tauri (what ever the correct plural for “taurus” is…) come in, get sold and then come back in for work.

2 Likes

Went shopping today and saw this. Nice weapon.

1 Like

If I had a choice and I wanted a revolver, I would always pick the 686, you might pay more for it but in the long run, it will pay off. Of all the revolvers that are currently being sold, it is probably the most collectible and reliable, including the super Blackhawk and the colts. Definitely the most practical of the collectible rebolvers IMHO

2 Likes

I’m gonna do “that guy.”

Any reason the Ruger or the Dan Wesson 715 aren’t being considered? I only have 2 357 revolvers and neither is a Smith or a Ruger or a Taurus. I know Colt hasn’t made the Trooper for a few years so no hooks there. My other 357 revolver is a Dan Wesson 715 (Monson, MA construction) and if you are considering the 686, I think the new New York built 715s are worth a look. They have even brought back the Pistol Paks if you’re into different barrels for different things.

To your question: If you are going to roll dice on a Taurus - consider the Chiappa Rhino (a Taurus by another name) 'cause it does bring superior recoil management to the table. I’m still looking for a sponsor to gift me one of these. It’s a Taurus so I’m not spending my money, but I do appreciate the view from outside the box.

2 Likes

I actually looked at the Ruger today. I’m not familiar with the Dan Wesson. Thanks for broadening my search by 1. Back to the gun store I go.

1 Like

You will still find 686’s in law enforcement holsters for some agencies. The Navy SEALs used them for specific objectives. Colt & Ruger .357s have been used by law enforcement.

Has anybody ever heard of a law enforcement agency ever issuing anything by Taurus?

But, with that being said, I have a pair of Taurus .357’s. A snub nose 605 & a Rossi 92. But I have an old S&W Model 66 in the nightstand and a 686 on the way to my FFL :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe that the Brazilian LEO do use the Taurus 357s,I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, I just like the 686 way better. It’s like, do you want a classic that’s stood the test of time or do you just want something to throw around and won’t mind if you lost it… if I’m looking for a truck/car gun that could be stolen, I would go with a Taurus, but if I’m buying for a keepsake, I’m getting the 686, hands down. Although, if I got a gun for my vehicle, it would probably be the LC9…

2 Likes

I went with the Colt King Cobra .357mag with 4" barrel and hi viz front sight.2013-09-09_11-29-00_510%20(640x334)

4 Likes

I went with the Smith and Wesson Performance Center 686. Because I was getting ready for hunting season we haven’t been to the range yet.

4 Likes

very nice 686
I just received a TALO Limited Edition, with the 5" full under-lug barrel and an unfluted cylinder

now, how’s your trigger? Mine was worst than my Ruger SP101. I had to fully polish the trigger and put in Wilson Combat springs to get it acceptable to me. I found 2 deep machine marks on the return spring slide that was causing my problems - so deep I had to stone them off then polish. I did not expect to have to do this with a modern Smith Limited Edition.

just bought a second 686 4" for my wife and it’s a beautiful firearm
Quality control at S&W must be hit or miss today

again, good choice, you’ll be much happier over the years with your Smith , especially if you’re planning to fire a lot of full power .357
you may want to look into the Wilson Combat springs for your new Smith - they really make a difference
I have them in both my new Smith 686.

I have my own firing range on the property, so I just walk in the back door with my new firearms, grab a box of ammo and walk out the front door to my firing range. I just have to give my wife a heads up before I shoot.

1 Like

sorry, forgot the photos
our 2 new Smith 686
the larger one is the Talo Limited Edition 5" 7 shot
a%20pair%20of%20Smiths

3 Likes