M*CARBO Brotherhood

S&W 686 vs. NE Handgun Course

Hi all! Here’s the next installment in my series on qualification courses. In this one, I’m pitting my S&W 686 against the Nebraska Law Enforcement Handgun Qualification Course. Check out the video to see how it fares!

Howard

10 Likes

Haven’t seen someone fire a revolver for a qualification course since the 80’s. Brings back memories. I first shot the course with a S&W mod 15 38spec. (4in.) Later when I made Detective I had to shoot it with a S&W mod 36 5 shot j-frame. (2in.) Qualified Expert with both. Still enjoy getting my old service revolvers out to the range. Thanks for the video.

3 Likes

There is just something relaxing about shooting a good D/A revolver!

Howard

4 Likes

Definitely interesting to see a different qualification. NC shoots on a single target, from 3 (2 rounds in 2 seconds) all the way back to 25 yards (standing and prone).

2 Likes

Any way you can get me a copy of the course? The type of targets they use would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Howard

2 Likes

https://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/95b4e171-4f9b-4522-8b52-04002399b4e3/In-Service-Firearms-Qualification-Manual.aspx

Good good info here.

2 Likes

Thank you! It looks like NC allows a lot of latitude for instructors to use a course that suits them.

Howard

2 Likes

@hrfunk

Thanks for another great video!

Definitely was good shooting!

You’re welcome John. Thanks for watching!

Howard

1 Like

@hrfunk D/A revolver relaxing - I would agree, except for my S&W mod 29 44mag. Not exactly relaxing to shoot, but still damn fun!

@Dane

Shooting .44 magnum handguns provides recoil therapy - which is relaxing.

Of course, if you are worried about the recoil, maybe not.

Try shooting some .460 S&W rounds. Not only do you get the recoil, but those behind you (and off to the side a little), can get a nice breeze from them, too.

Note: I think there are two kinds of recoil: the kind that just pushes you around a bit; and the kind that actually hurts. Shooting a full-sized handgun with a powerful round should be the push you around type; shooting a powerful round in a too-light for the caliber handgun would be the painful kind.

Hope your model 29 is one of the full size ones.

My 44mag came from my father’s collection, a 6in. model from the 70’s. Not at all painful to shoot, but as you say, it does teach you about recoil management. The only time I ever fired it that I don’t even recall feeling the recoil is when I used it to take a whitetail at 70yds.

1 Like

Hmm, I might just have to try a .44 in a future qualification video!

Howard

3 Likes

@hrfunk

Would be great to see such a video.

Thanks.

I’m guessing the split times on double taps w/44mag might be just a hair longer.

1 Like

@Dane

That was quite a good shot!

Thank you John!

Howard

1 Like

Looking at your cover you are a Marine so Semper Fi,Brother. Have you ever seen a 3 inch S&W 686? If not research a model called a CS-1 (Customs Service 1) issued back in the 1990s to Agents of the U.S.C.S. everyone hated it. LOL Do you have the Texas Qual course?

Semper Fi! Yes, I have seen the 3” 686, and I don’t hate it. I also have the Texas course, in fact I’ve already got that video posted. Thanks and take care.

Howard

1 Like

When the CS-1 was first issued to the Customs Service “someone” had to make a great gun better so they wanted the specs tightened up a bunch, the gun would jam after about 12-15 rounds due to powder fouling. The guns were returned to S&W and brought back to normal specs. We soon transitioned to the 6906 and later the Glock system.

2 Likes