Ruger taking over Marlin...thoughts?

I am wanting a lever action in .357 but decided to wait and see what the new Marlin options might be under Ruger’s ownership. What do you all think?

9 Likes

It will be interesting to see where Ruger takes them. Having a later “Remlin”, I’m cool with it. Fit and finish is a combo, the bluing is flawless while the fitment of wood to steel could’ve used a better hand. It shoots well and runs flawlessly. Hope Ruger honors the lever gun platform.

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat, waiting on their lever .357 models to come out. If I don’t like what they release, I’ll be looking at the Henry Big Boy X Model (whenever they come back in stock)

11 Likes

I like the X Model too because of the threaded barrel. I do wish is came with a wood stock though…I just like the look!

8 Likes

Marlin while under Remington offered a similar model to the X Model with the threaded barrel. I think it was wood furniture, but it was a really dark stain. They called it the Dark Series

8 Likes

I’ve been wanting the Marlin 1895 CB model, with the 26" tapered octgon barrel chambered in 45-70 the tube holds 9 rds of 45-70. years ago I had a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 but it only held 5 rds. and had a 18 in barrel

3 Likes

I run a early 70’s 22 lever. What a fantastic shooting firearm it is. Honestly it’s one of my favorite guns to shoot. My father gave it to me when I was 12. My first rifle. I shot it thousands of times chasing squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, wood chucks and just plinking back at the dump. Shot it so many times the lever wore out and started to sag. Had to take it in and get it fixed. The gunsmith said he had never seen one wear out like that. It still shoots like a dream. Its so smooth its and easy to cycle on your shoulder. Just keep blasting until the cylinder is empty. Brings smiles to my face. I grew up on a 200 acre farm and it was a target rich environment. Me and that Marlin traveled miles together. The stories it could tell.

7 Likes

I’ve picked up the Rossi’s and worked the actions. They are much better than previously or the luck of the draw has been there. We picked up a stainless 20” barreled .357 and it’s running flawlessly so far. The old 24” octagon blued one required a ton of smoothing and a spring kit from Steve’s Gunz. Just picked up a 16” blued and although much better than the octo. It’s a little rougher than the stainless. I’ve heard others say they had good results with the stainless. For some or another reason it seems to come out better.

I want a Marlin but the Rossi’s are from $400 to $500 used and $629 new at an LGS. If the Ruglins are $1k+ I’ll stick to these. Lever guns aren’t meant to be priced higher than bolt action sniper rifles IMNSHO.

5 Likes

As well I am also curious to see where Ruger goes with Marlin. I’ve never had an issue with Ruger and I am guessing the acquisition will have a good outcome.
I own the 1894 SBL and 1895 SBL [Remlin] Marlins and they both run great. Favorites in fact… Having a well made accurate Rifle and well made accurate Wheel Gun that shoot the same Cartridge is a good option to have. :grinning:
In this case the 1894 SBL, in .44 Mag, and an 1987 era SS 7-1/2" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag… Get ya that new Lever DJW!
_

7 Likes

Well, the 1895 Ruglins are available NOW.

Regarding waiting on an 1894 in 357 … they’re coming soon. The 1895s are interesting. Marlin’s Trademark eyeball is now red & white versus black & white and Ruglin is installing the eyeballs in Laminate stocks. Marlin only ever put the eyeballs in Walnut. Also, that 1894 will NOT have microgroove rifling - Ruger ditched microgrooving.

4 Likes

I got my 1895 45-70 while Marlin was still in No. Haven shot was so far off that driftng the sight was not enough to hit. I dropped it off at Marlin while passing by and they sent it back corrected just fine with same barrel. Put a Cabelas scope on it designed around the Leverevolution, sight in at 100 and graduations for 200 and 300. Want to find the 250mg leverevolution with hopes of whitetail success.

3 Likes

Worked in the world of Dimensional Metrology (measuring parts and tolerances) and we have eqipment in so many gun companies. Got in many several times. Marlin in CT; Sig in NH;
Remington in Illion NY ( great museum collections and custom shop) Colt and S&W and Cabot arms 1911s. -
Also found myself 5 stories underground in more than one DOD facility - Razor and plastic bottles to depleted uranium tank penetrators and fuel injection for the space shuttles. Saw some amazing things over 38 years in the industry that few are even aware of or think of.

4 Likes

years ago I had a Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 and loved how well it operated wish I had kept it. but hopefully I’ll be able to get another one just hope they are as good as the old ones where

3 Likes

Does anyone have the Rossi R92? I see if on Guns.com for $681. I’m just a little leary of buying on-line without being able to feel it.

1 Like

We’ve picked up 3 Rossi’s. 2 used blues ones and 1 new stainless. All 357’s.
#1 - 2014 - 24” octagon barreled case hardened receiver- was very rough and jammy then ordered DVD and trigger kit from Nate Kiowa Jones at Stevezgunz
She smoothed up nicely after being just a little less aggressive than the dvd advises. - 400

#2 - 2021 - 20” Stainless - new & silky right of the box. Shoots great, we really like it - 600 this year

#3 - 2021 - 16” blued - used but barely - fit is between the two others and much closer to the stainless to start off. Haven’t fired it yet and it cycles empty dummy rounds well enough. Just not quite as nice as the SS 20’ one. - 500

My conclusion is there is more attention paid these day to quality control or I got lucky 66% of the time. If I buy another it will be stainless steel. The 16” will get the smoothing treatment, spring kit, and metal follower kit applied. 20” will just get cycled a gazillion times and a new metal follower.

Some dumbazz replied the same chit twice to the same post. Man I’m a moronic IDtenT

1 Like

@DJW
It’s best to go to a LGS or ArmsList or some forum and get a Rossi locally that you can handle and cycle a few times.

1 Like

@Dred

No microgroove rifling might make the Ruglins more interesting to cast boolit guys.

2 Likes