M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger Security 9

I ordered a new Ruger Security 9 last week and am waiting for it to arrive. I bought in on a lark. If it proves reliable, it will live hidden and ready as a “downstairs gun”. I won’t be carrying it. I have several other tried & true options for that.

Do any of you have one? Has it been reliable and a decent shooter?

4 Likes

You made a very good purchase. Yes indeed I do have one and it is awesome at 17 round capacity and accurate out to 25 yards. I have fired steel cased ammo every bullet weight I could find and FMJ, HP’s to the Underwood weirdness. It has fed them all with out a hiccup, stove pipe or jam. There are now so many “accessories” for them that you’d be hard pressed not to add some personal touches. Better sights, lasers, grip covers, and different carry rigs. Yes, I am a Ruger fanatic.

5 Likes

Glad to hear you like yours and it is serving you well. Mine is supposed to be in Monday. I’ll let you know my first impressions.

When I get it home I will field strip it, clean it, hose it out with brake cleaner then lube it with CLP. I will probably put a little Tetra grease on the frame rails.

I do this with all new pistols before I take them to the range.

2 Likes

Just a break in suggestion…take it to the range before you do anything to it and put a box of rounds through it. Parts and pieces will seat together better and if there is going to be a failure that’s when it will happen. That’s what I do with all of my new or milsurp firearms.

3 Likes

Those look like a big LCP II to me. Any truth in that?

2 Likes

None what so ever. Different animal altogether. Really nice piece of equipment.

2 Likes

So is the LCP II. Look up that pistol if you don’t know what it is and see how closely they look to each other. It’s not the regular ol’ LCP.

2 Likes

I own several Ruger LC/LCP/LCPII and the Security-9 is very different. Look up the Ruger kits from MCARBO. There may be some outside appearance similarities at first glance but that’s about it.

2 Likes

I don’t normally post a picture but this is should help.
The laser on the Security 9 I added and the one on the LC380 came with it.
I added the Hogue grip sleeves for a better grip.

2 Likes

I considered one of these before settling on a Canik that came with a red dot installed. That said, I own several Rugers and, while I hope you will not need it, the customer service has been great.

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for the Ruger to arrive.

I have owned several Rugers, mostly revolvers. However, I have owned and pocket carried a LC9s Pro and a LCPII. They were both decent pistols, never had a lick of trouble with either one of them. Sold them both after I bought my Sig P365.

KLE thanks for the break in advice. I appreciate your input. I have heard of other folks doing the same thing. However, I am old and somewhat stuck in my ways and will likely stick with the way I have been doing it for years.

3 Likes

What Ruger revolvers do you or did you own?
I’ve been a Ruger collector for 35 years. My two revolver favorites are my Ruger Super Blackhawk 3 screw single action in 44 magnum and my Ruger Security 6 in 357 magnum.

2 Likes

I have owned the following:

Super Blackhawk 44 mag 10" BBL - This was my first, Bought it around 1980 for metallic silhouette shooting.

2 different Super Blackhawk 44 mag 7 ½” at different times in my life for different reasons

Stainless Redhawk 44 mag 7 ½” for hunting

Super Blackhawk 44 mag 5 1/2 “ fluted cylinder with real Case hardened frame by Turnbull ‘cause it was “purdy”

GP100 .357 6”

LCR .38

I have either sold or traded them all off. Now I only have one Ruger revolver. It is my favorite and I will never sell it. It is a Lipsey Ruger New Model Blackhawk flattop 44 Special 4 5/8” barrel. All steel, no aluminum. It’s one heck of a pistol that Elmer would love if he were still alive. When I am in the woods, it is on my hip.

2 Likes

WOW, very nice. I will sell or trade any of mine. If it came down to an absolute favorite it would have to be my SR1911. Bought it took it straight to the range and shot a box of 50 through it. It is spot on at 5, 7, 14 yards with the exception of my old eyes.

2 Likes

I had a SR1911 Commander for a few years. Nice pistol. Sold it and swore off 1911’s

I forgot, I currently have a Ruger Wrangler for my wife and granddaughter to shoot. I have probably forgotten other Ruger revolvers I have owned over the years.

I’m currently shooting a Ruger Mark III Hunter. I like it lots and lots.

2 Likes

Just found out there are 17 round factory magazines for the Security 9. Made me a happy camper.

1 Like

Yes indeed there are 17 round magazines for the Security-9. I bought 3 when I purchased mine. They work great! Lots of “accessories” for the Security-9.

1 Like

The Security 9 came in, so I picked it up at the LGS.

So far it seems like a nice pistol. Feels good in my hand. Grip fits me well. Has a substantial feel to it. Pistol looks nice, as polymer pistols go. I field stripped it, cleaned & lubed it.

The trigger press is OK but it would be spectacular if it was lighter. There is small amount of take up before you hit the wall. Just a wee bit of creep then a heavy pull with a very crisp and clean break with zero over travel and a longish reset. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge but I would wager the pull is well over 6 pounds. I don’t know if there is spring kit for this.

I loaded the mag with some ammo I loaded with red HiTek coated projectiles and cycled the slide by hand. I noticed some of the red HiTek coating was scraped off of each one. Looking closely at the chamber mouth, I noticed the chamfered area looked like it might need some help. Using a Dremel tool and flitz metal polish, I polished the chamber, chamber mouth chamfer and the feed ramp. I cycled some more rounds through it and they came out without a scratch.

Overall, I like this pistol. If it proves to be reliable it will work for it’s intended purpose. I hope to make it out to the range this weekend and run a couple hundred rounds through it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately MCARBO does not make a trigger kit yet, but are there others that do. Check Ruger’s web site for accessories and parts. A note here…you can find the items on other sites for less $$$. I just look to see what Ruger posts then go to the other sites.

2 Likes

Took the Security 9 to the range this weekend. I ran about 200 rounds through it with ZERO malfuntions.

Once I got used it, I shot it well. The only problem I had was the trigger hurt my index finger each time I fired it. I ended up with a blood blister on the botom of my finger. I have had simmiler problems with Glock triggers. I replace them with the Apex flat trigger and it solves the problem. I think I will order the Galloway Seneschal Short Stroke Trigger for Security 9 as it has a flat trigger face and may help. Overall, I like the pistol and will hang on to it.

5 Likes