Ruger Precision Rifle

I would like to have a place for those that are new to the world of precision riffles.
My favorite is the Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in the .338 Lapua mag round.
If you have a different chamber or manufacturer that you prefer please join in and educate the rest of us as to why you like the equipment you like.
For me being born in the mid sixties I was raised on the M-14 and M-16 for lighter rifles but I always loved the way people could send rounds down range with extreme accuracy with manufacturers like Anschutz etc.
When the .338 Lapua mag came out I just knew it was going to be a leader in the field of reaching out and touching someone.
I recently bought what I believe to be a gem 3 Ruger precision rifle chambered in .338 Lapua mag.
From what I understand this latest version is a great upgrade to the previous generation of these Ruger Precision Rifle.
Since I have barely gotten my nee RPaR out of the box and then had to have surgery I have not had the pleasure of that first shot right out of the box yet and until I recover and go through Physical Therapy I am preparing my RPR for that wonderful day.
This brings me to my first question, and it can be quite controversial, what type of barrel break in method do you prefer and how long should a good break period last?
I would like to hear from Ruger Precision Rifle people but all are welcome but let’s stick to the 338 Lapua mag chambering if we can.
A really good tried and true break in for any high caliber rifle is always great any many of the same materials and procedures apply which is why I am opening this up to all manufacturers today.

Thank you and great shooting.

8 Likes

Welcome to the 'hood @Scpuncher!

You just created that place. :grinning:

And as I don’t have a precision rifle, I’ll excuse myself…

6 Likes

Watching Larry Poterfield
He recommended, shoot Five rounds
Let the Barrel cool down, clean the Barrel, repeat this three more times
For a total of twenty Rds To breack in your Rifle . Hope you recover soon,
Enjoy your new Rifle .

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Scpuncher great place here.

I don’t have a RPR let alone anything in 338LM. But I’ll be honest here, I have yet to break in a barrel, none of the barrels I have show any signs of accuracy issues (besides myself lol). My normal routine, swab the barrel with a bore snake to remove debris in it, then shoot it, then a light cleaning when I get home. But YMMV, and do what you think is best.

Closest thing to a precision rifle is my ar-6.5 creedmoor w/a 26 or 28 inch (can’t remember off the top of my head) ballistic advantage barrel.

5 Likes

That is great. I think that like you most of us are not professional shooters where we use our firearms for food, game, competition.
I also mostly grab the old bore snake and some really good CLZp and give it a fair scrub, without going to hard or far.
I really like the 6.5 Creedmore rounds. I hear they have a nice trajectory and fair hitting power.
As always be happy with what you do have to use, take good care of your equipment and it will not fail you.
Thanks for your info on this subject and again this not just for the RPR or just a .338 Lapua mag because all information is helpful.
If you do have any questions about precision rifle shooting for the future I hope that this post brings us more and more info that we can all use, thank you very much for your contribution, it is great to read and very welcome.

5 Likes

This is great information, thank you very much.
I love watching Larry and the wonderful tv magazines that they sponsor and bring to us avid shooters on a regular basis.
I was not aware of the amount of work I should put in to my break in period for my precision or even everyday rifle. This is great information for all of us, thank you very much for bringing this coward to all of us and I would like to hear more tips and suggestions from you in the future.
Very helpful.

4 Likes

Thank you for the welcome I look forward to reading from all types of shooters, and I would like to have subjects and discussion that bring in people that may not have or be a precision rifle fan but are interested in the sport and fun that shooting brings to me and many of us, thank you, please feel free to chime in with any helpful and interesting rifle subjects. I love to hear from all.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome! Hope you recover soon.

3 Likes

@Scpuncher Welcome aboard. To answer your question, let me ask, what does Ruger recommend? With any new firearm the first thing I do is to thoroughly clean it, but there are those among us that say I’m OCD.

I do own a custom-built Ruger built by ASI in CO. His recommendations for break-in are:

Thank you for you purchase of an Accuracy Systems Barrel Conversion. While all of our barrels are of high quality, a new barrel will shoot best if careful attention is given to proper break-in. The bore of your new barrel has “pores” and as you break in the barrel these “pores” are smoothed over. A smooth barrel always cleans up better than one that isn’t.

Equipment needed:

• Purchase 2 or 3 Hoppe’s Bore Snakes suitable for the caliber of your rifle.
  • Cleaning & Polishing compound to be used: Brownells JB Bore Compound (083-065-002) (you can get this product by calling Brownells @ 1-800-741-0015) or www.brownells.com we recommend using this for the entire break in and after the break in it can be used as a barrel cleaner.
  • Automotive Brake Parts cleaner ( For cleaning the Bore Snakes for reuse)

Break-In Procedures:

1. Load your rounds in the magazine and insert into the rifle. After your last shot the action will stay open allowing for the bore snake to be dropped through the breech end and pulled out the muzzle. Then remove the empty magazine and load the next magazine into the rifle. This is the fastest method.
  2. Clean barrel after each 3 shot group for the first 60 shots or more if needed. Use one of the Bore snakes with the JB Bore Compound mentioned above. Put the compound in bush area of the snake. Pull the bore snake through the rifle from chamber to muzzle 2 times. Follow that up by pulling the clean, dry, second snake through 1 time. We also recommend 0000 steel wool wrapped around the brush area only this will help lap the barrel even further reducing fouling and speeding the barrel break in. Make sure you use the JB Compound liberally on the steel wool! It is not needed behind the brush area.
  3. Check to see if there is any visible copper fouling. The barrel will have an orange or brown tint inside the barrel if it is fouled. If copper is visible repeat the pull through process a few extra times. REPEAT TILL ALL COPPER IS GONE!
    4.NOTE:* If Bore snake is used for different chemicals make SURE to completely clean it with the brake cleaner to remove any cleaning solvent from step 1. Mixing of chemicals could have an adverse effect on the barrel. Three bore snakes are recommended for ease of break in. After brake cleaner has been applied to the bore snake, wring it out to remove the excessive brake cleaner. You may have to repeat this process until the snake is completely clean. Allow the bore snake to dry out. It should evaporate with in about 15 minutes in direct sun light.
  4. For the next 30 shots, Clean the barrel after each 3 shot group following the above initial break in procedures. The Barrel should be finished with the break in process after 90 rounds. However if you still notice fouling you may have to continue the process until fouling is at a minimum.
  5. Revert to your normal cleaning schedule. Make sure to continue to always clean your barrel during and after each outing to insure the optimum accuracy out of your rifle.

**The beauty of brake parts cleaner verses Gun Scrubber™ is that the brake cleaner can be found at any automotive store at ½ the cost of the Gun Scrubber™. Brake parts cleaner works just as well and dries just as fast. Thank you, Accuracy Systems Inc.

My 2 cents, followed this to the letter, using brake cleaner and Brownell’s JP with two brand new bore snakes. Conclusion, it shoots well and is damn finicky on what ammo it likes.

Built my own 223 Wylde with a Wilson barrel, 1-8 twist, 20" long. Did nothing as far as break-in and it shoots as well, if not better.

6 Likes

Considering the primary limit on a rifle’s precision is the skill of the shooter, calling any firearm I own a “precision” firearm would be an oxymoron.

6 Likes

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger… :grinning:

6 Likes

I feel that way as well. Never did understand that.
I can only guess it’s because there is so many adjustments you can make. :wink:

I have a Ruger “Precision” 6.5 Creedmore and a Ruger “Precision” rimfire 22LR.
Both decked out. I haven’t fired either one. :roll_eyes:

Guess I better go back and read the manuals a lot better. :rofl: :rofl:
Irregardless my precision days of shooting are long gone. :rofl:
Larry

7 Likes

Hi Larry,
Thank you for the response.
Looking at your pictures you are correct you have not used these firearms much if at all.
You obviously like the Ruger products like myself.
I have not gotten in to the 6.5 creedmore chambering yet but I am very interested in it’s trajectory and power.
The .22 is also a fine firearm.
You must be proud to own such great firearms.
If you have the time I would really like to talk with you more about the Ruger Precision Rifle so I can get a better sense as to what other shooters are doing with their firearms and if there are other enthusiasts that can talk with me and help me reach my goal of accurately sending a rout down range one mile on a consistent basis.
Would you be so helpful as to receive my contact information and Matabele chat or talk with me more about the Ruger Precision Rifle, the 6.5 creedmore, and hopefully more?
It would be great to have someone like yourself to bounce ideas off of and share successful shots with.
Regards, James LaCrosse
Scpuncher3@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Ruger makes good gear. They do some things differently and seem to be a little weird about selling parts for some of their guns, but I’ve never had an issue with any of mine that was a result of poor design or manufacturing. I’ve never really had an issue with any of them, period.

1 Like

James
I have never not tried to share what little knowledge I might have. :wink: :grinning:

But it seems as I have progressed into the senior citizen category :woozy_face: I have become more of a collector of firearms than a active shooter. I also have the mini-14 that I have never shot.

As chillipper stated prior I have always thought Ruger made quality products.

I would say never use any magazines other than Ruger magazines in any of their firearms.

Sorry I can’t be of any help with the Ruger 6.5 shooting ability. I did put a Harris bipod and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4X16X44 scope on it.
If it shoots anywhere near as good as it looks it should be a real bad ass. :wink:
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Larry :innocent:

3 Likes

I also have had no issues with Ruger products and parts.
Like most I started with the 10/22 rifle and worked mY way to the upper end of their modern shooting line.

I r ally need to try the diamondback scope. I hear they are really nice easy to take care of.
Your collection is very nice. It is a shame that you can not get out more often and make use of your investment. Perhaps one day you can find some time to show me a thing or two about the Ruger Precision Rifle. Your .22 is very nice and I am looking to purchase one.
Please try getting ahold of my, I too am disabled and retired, but shooting is my passion

2 Likes

Thank you for all he suggestion of sticking with Ruger magazines for Ruger firearms.

If you ever get out and use the diamondback scope please let us know what you think.
It is a fairly used piece of equipment for the hunters etc. I would like to know what the target shooter like you thinks of the scope.

3 Likes

I would know nothing about vortex products as my remington 700 has a trijicon tenmile 4.5-30x56.

I just bought another tenmile for my RPR 338 5-50x56 which ahould be here any day now

2 Likes