M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger PCC 9mm stove piping with glock magazines

Having trouble with rifle stove piping when using glock magazines. Tried new and old magazines and still have this problem. The magazines fit a little loose with about 1/8" forward/backward movement. I asked Ruger and they sent me a new Glock adapter but it did not help. I have not tried the Ruger magazine yet.
Anyone else having this problem with Glock magazines?

3 Likes

@gaizy, Don’t own that particular rifle, but my 182 series Mini 14 has cycling feed issues with the majority of 3rd party magazines. Only Ruger magazines cycle flawlessly. Might be the case with the PCC also.

7 Likes

First I’ve heard of the problem. But, I’m not surprised.

Glock has a grip angle all their own. So, their mags present at a different angle. Kel Tec makes different grip frames for glock v. everybody else.

If you are getting stovepipes with any regularity, I suggest letting Ruger make it right for you. If it’s only once every few hindred rounds - Ruger is unlikely to find the problem.

How frequent are the stove pipes?

5 Likes

@gaizy

I have owned my G17 Gen 4 since 2012 and not had one issue since. I have bought replacement mags, however never 3rd party. What type of ammo are you using? In my opinion, 9mm ammo can be pricey and sometimes ‘subconsciously’ we can talk ourselves into poor choices. Good luck in correcting your concerns, brother!

3 Likes

Shot a couple magazines with 15 rounds in each one; had 3-4 stove pipes on each magazine. All my Glock magazines are factory; going to switch to ruger magazine and see what happens. I was using MaxxTech 115 gr FMJ ammo today. Plan to order the mcarbo extractor when they become available to see if it helps. I have installed all their spring kits. Will contact Ruger again if I can’t find the fix.
Thanks

3 Likes

More question. Did everything run correctly before you started the upgrades? I imagined you were sharing your fresh out the box expeeiences.

3-4 per mag means it’s a great candidate for a trip home.

3 Likes

@gaizy

I had ‘always’ ran my Glock with all 17 round magazines (full.) I have also ‘heard’ that some guns need to run a ‘few’ rounds through to ‘break-in’ a ‘fresh’ firearm. I am just curious as to how many rounds you put through it before you got ‘frustrated?’ I realize that it is no fun to have ‘issues.’ I had problems of both failure to feed and fire when building a couple of 10/22’s (from scratch.) I had found the problems to be ‘tight chamber/no ramp’ straight from the manufacturer! I had to make my own corrections from ‘lightly’ sanding the chamber due to rough machining and changing my barrel out. I might want to contact Ruger before dumping all kinds of money into it? Since it is new, I am sure that you would receive ‘carte blanche’ service if they do request the firearm back for service. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hope to figure out a fix so I don’t have to send it in. Will have to remove all aftermarket parts and put originals in if I send it to Ruger. I placed a piece of adhesive felt inside mag well to tighten up magazine movement and switched to Federal 115 gr. HP and shot 15 rds. with no problems. I believe it is the movement of the glock magazine in mag well that is the problem.
Still plan to try the ruger mag setup without the felt to see if that works. The new extractor from mcarbo may help also.

5 Likes

Also wondering if you can try a ‘hotter’ round which ‘personally’ would do before replacing the extractor. More pressure in the chamber equates to better/faster extraction. It is a standard blow back system gun. Some guns are just ‘fussy’ with certain ammo. Does Ruger recommend certain ammo in their manual?

3 Likes

like has been said, try a factory mag first. also if you are trying to run extended magazines you need to add spacers, think they called Grip extensions or magazine adaptors, , the ones i have are made by a company called "XGrip Magazine adapters
www.X-GRIPS.COM
i had to add them to the standard 7 round 1911A1 magazines I was trying to use in my 5 round Springfield Ultra Compact, because the floor plate wasnt in the slot, it would let the magazine forward and back, allowing stovepipes and FTF the X grip extensions fixed that.they are other brands if Xgrip don’t cover your model…

5 Likes

Have not thought of hotter ammo; will try some +P and see what happens. Worst case, I will send it back to ruger later on.
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on this.

5 Likes

Funny how Kel-Tec can figure it out with the S2K and Glock mags…and Ruger can’t? LOL

4 Likes

@gaizy welcome to the forum gary

2 Likes

@hunter1916

Keeping me busy posting since I ran out of likes… :unamused: lol

3 Likes

@gaizy Welcome to the Brotherhood.

As of last Friday, I’ve put 1,001 rounds through my Ruger PCC with only one failure to feed on a 32 round ProMag (1st use, 1st time out, no issue since). I run about 20 mags, at least 2-3 Glock brand, 2 ProMag with the remainder Magpul PMAG.

Ammo is mixed, mostly 115 & 124 gr FMJ Blazer Brass, 115 gr TSJ Federal American Eagle, 115 & 136 gr Hornady defensive rounds. She seems to eat anything without so much as a burp.

No mods to the firearm internally, lots of tweaks externally.

You might want to check the two take-down screws that hold the receiver assembly to the poly buttstock. If these loosen even a small bit, particularly the one towards the muzzle, the resulting movement/play can be enough to cause both feed and ejection issues. I caught mine backing out at the range once, also had the charging handle come loose as well, I use a little VC3 on these screws as needed after cleaning now.

pcc_manual_capture

Have you reversed your magazine latch?

From Ruger:

Older Glock magazines that feature only one magazine latch slot may still be used with the PC Carbine, but the magazine release button must remain on the left side of the rifle as shipped from the factory. The magazine release button should not be reversed when using this type of magazine as the magazine will not properly lock into the magazine well. Early versions of Glock-brand magazines with a “U” shaped notch at the rear of the magazine feed lips will not function in the PC Carbine.

I hope you get your issues sorted, I think these are great little guns and I hate to see someone not having fun with theirs.

5 Likes

I have the PC Carbine in .40.
I have three 31 round mags and have not had even one problem after using cheap and expensive ammo.

3 Likes

Mine has stovepiped multiple times with the Rueger and Glock mags of all sizes using new and reload ammo. Waiting for the extractor upgrade as I’m unwilling to modify the stock one… MCARBOs extractor is backordered and will update upon results.

My issue appeared after firing 13-15 rounds in groups of 3 with both mag types. I too have installed the spring kit but will await the extractor before firing it. I did use the trigger kit and was amazing! Also combined with the brake I felt super comfortable shooting 3 round groups over and over. Now if I could just get thru a 33rnd magazine without a stovepipe!

4 Likes

Saw this photo in the Rueger forum. It’s a modified factory ejector (which I don’t think is a good idea…) but it got me to thinking on the overall thread itself. I noticed that some folks sent thier PC 9s in for repair and in most cases they replaced the extractor, spring and (what I think is most important) the bolt head and extractor pins. If you saw the photos of my bolt head pins (pic below) they are worn significantly after only a few hundred rounds. It’s my theory the junk pins are allowing the bolt head to push more forward or rearward (probably more rearward is the culprit) than designed and thus causing this issue.

Thots?

4 Likes

whats the measurement on the pin in the unworn are and the measurement in the worn area. (amount of wear)

1 Like

Hi, new to the forum but I’ve had this problem, too. Doesn’t matter which magazine brand I use (including Glock factory mags). But I reload 9mm and have noticed that hotter or +P rounds tend to stove pipe far more often. It’s a big pain for sure because it usually trashes my brass. I ordered one of the M*Carbo heavier recoil springs…I think that will solve the problem, or at least help long enough for me to dial in a good reliable reload the PC9 likes consistently with good velocities. I will gladly report back if you want.

BTW, I did contact Ruger about the problem, they quickly sent me a new ejector under warranty…which looking closely at the new one, my original was likely just fine. But I installed it anyway and gave it a thorough cleaning. Stove pipes still happen some…but predictably not with the lighter charged (factory & hand) loads. I have several thousand rounds through my PC9 now…love it. It’s accurate and a blast to shoot. I like hotter loads though, so naturally I prefer using my hand loads. On a side note, I will say my PC9 absolutely hates Hornady XTP projectiles in any grain. Perhaps the projectile sharp angle combined with the Glock mags failures to feed are very common…so I just don’t shoot them. Not a problem, I have lots of other JHP’s to select from. It doesn’t mind round nosed JHP projectiles like Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.

Sorry to be long winded, just thought I’d share a few details perhaps not considered yet. Cheers.

5 Likes