Ruger PC 9 carbine bolt head and exractor pins

19101 with 18.62" fluted barrel

2 Likes

Excellent firearm. I have the 19100 with 2,107 rds. fired so far. Fun and accurate.
Lots of great aftermarket support these days.

2 Likes

looks pretty sweet! outside of a vortex sparc ar II on mine its stock. Soon to be changed. Started getting failure to extract yesterday after about 1500 rnds. I knew the extractor would be an eventual problem when I bought it this past december so I’ll picking up the mcarbo extractor and pin set. Eventually I’ll get most of the goodies outside of the extended bolt stop. Probably after that will be a magnifier, eyes getting old lol

1 Like

… is that a UTG bipod?

1 Like

Magpul 1913 Picatinny …very happy with it.

Have you done a chamber check and cleaned it out good?

1 Like

I have. Pretty dilligent on cleaning cycle

1 Like

Ex infantry so old habits die hard lol

1 Like

If the extractor is worn down or chipped Ruger will send you a free replacement by calling them…ask for the spring and pin too.

I’m running the MCARBO extractor and all three pins.

2 Likes

@CplJay Most of the time the issue is “failure to eject” from a bent ejector. Which can be adjusted easily and has been discussed here.

Have you removed, inspected and cleaned the extractor? Send us a pic if you can.

A member here that is a gunsmith @GOBLIN told me he helped a customer with “fail to extract” PCC9 issues. He used a no-go gauge and measured the throat-chamber and it was too tight from the factory. He lapped it and that was the fix. That was a new rifle.
If yours started it after a thousand rounds or so I would remove-inspect-clean the extractor and the groove it rides in.
At the same time I would examine the ejector…you can swap with the spare magazine adapters ejector for a comparison…but try the extractor fix and chamber measurement first to pin point the issue.

Let us know what you find.

1 Like

Copy all. And thanks again for the feedback and solutions. I’m on the road quite a bit this week and have personal admin to sort out. But I will get some pics and post soonest. Cheers!

1 Like

OK!! Finally a day off to get some problems sorted out. This post will kinda drag through the morning as i take pics, etc.
First inspection out of the vault ,after ensuring unloaded and safe,found a loose bolt between mag well and take down, so probably operator error from loose retaining nut. Inch pounds torque in near future!

Nut in question on the bottom not the one holding the rifle lol
Quick take down

and marking mag adapter with china pencil R(Ruger) and G(Glock)

Next is side by side matching up ejectors. I could find no differences between the two.

I’m going to take bad ejector off the possibilities list.
Coffee top up and breakfast then onto the rest of it and the next post.

3 Likes

On the ejectors…makes sure they aren’t touching the bottom of the bolt while cycling. Failure to Eject is common if the ejector scrubs the bolt. Look for scrape marks on the bottom of the bolt.
Slamming the magazine in will bend the ejector up…just a weak part of the design to pay attention to.

Looking forward to a good closeup pic of the extractor…and the bottom /top of the bolt.

2 Likes

2nd phase: Took apart the bolt carrier/assembly
Bolt carrier looks good and no scratches etc to indicate ejector riding on it

1 Like

3rd Phase. Bolt head and retaining pins
Bolt head looks fine besides being dirty, got it soaking now. The pins look a bit rough though

2 Likes

4th Phase
Recoil spring and buffer. All looks good there

2 Likes

Let me guess what’s next…

4 Likes

Final?
Extractor
Doesnt look bad at all
So Im leaning toward either A-Operator Error (ie not having it screwed down properly- torqued or B-The bolt head pins looking rough. Could be both?
20220714_101705
20220714_102131
Extractor1
Extractor3 (1)
Extractor3 (2)

2 Likes

Your stock Ruger extractor looks worn down to me. My PCC9 and 10/22 OEM extractors looked about like that at about the same round count. Changed both PCC9 and 10/22 to exact edge extractors and haven’t had a problem since.

Agree the Ruger pins are looking rough also.

Let us know how it performs next time out.

MCARBO exact edge extractor:

MCARBO verses used Ruger:

2 Likes

Will do! Hope to have a day off next week take it out to the range and will let you know how it goes. New extractor and pins are in the budget so will make that happen regardless. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Put new extractor in and replaced extractor pin and 2 bolt face pins. Works great!

2 Likes