M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger Mod 77 Accuracy?

Gents, A friend and I bought a pair of Mod 77’s in .17 WSM. We installed the trigger kits plus a 2/000’s shim in his and 3/000’s shim in mine. Mine shoots a 3/4" gp with either 20 or 25 grain ammo and the best his will do is 5 inches with either ammo. This is at 100 yds with a decent bench rest, not professional, but decent, same shooter, same ammo. His scope is a brand new Leupold 3-9, mine is an older Leupold 2-7, both tight on the mounts. The dealer of course basically said, good by and good luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thx
JD
PS - both bolts are hard to open after firing; is this normal?

2 Likes

5" v. a .75" control … check his crown and make certain the stock isn’t putting uneven pressure on the barrel. Heck … make sure the receiver is mated (torqued) to the stock correctly.

2 Likes

@JDavis Do what @Dred recommended and if you find it’s OK, I would replace the scope and try again. It wouldn’t be the first time a Leupold scope had a loose reticle or a faulty turrent adjustment.

3 Likes

Thanks I thought about swapping scopes and see what happens. Thx much

3 Likes

@JDavis his scope may need to be adjusted up and down and side before zeroing a couple of times plus might be same guns but might need differant ammo ya have to find the right ammo that your gun likes

2 Likes