M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ruger LCP II Lite Rack .22 Caliber

I recently purchased one of these and really like the size and operation as a backup or deep concealment firearm. Unfortunately, it was prone to both failures to eject and jams. The problem was somewhat reduced by using high velocity ammo like the CCI Stinger. I eventually returned it to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. It is more reliable now but still needs high velocity ammo to reliably cycle.

Does anyone else have experience with this firearm? If so, have you experienced similar problems and how did you address them?

3 Likes

I have the original LCP which I bought almost as soon as they hit the stores and I have carried it literally everyday since than.

I don’t shoot it that often (it’s not real fun to shoot) but I have had no problems with mine reliably cycling anything I can feed it whenever I do take it to the range and have probably run 500 rounds or so through it since it was new. I keep it loaded with standard 380 round nose bullets. I wonder what the differences are between the two from a mechanical stand point.

1 Like

@JoeFridaySays

I have one.
I put approximately 200 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through it. No failures and none of the issues you have experienced.
As I didn’t try any other ammunition with it, I can’t comment on that.
It does love CCI Stingers, they’re fun to shoot with this pistol and I would probably use this ammo if carrying the gun for as a back up piece.
I did notice that after shooting the gun for those 200 rounds, it did free up noticeably.
Not much help with your situation I know. Hope your example does better the next time you shoot.

4 Likes

@AV8R Thanks for the response. It seems like it does pretty well as long as the ammo used exceeds 1200 fps which is the case with standard CCI. Below that, the recoil energy sometimes is not enough to cycle the firearm. Ruger actually recommends high velocity and warns that some target and subsonic loads may not reliably cycle. I think the problem is just inherent in the limited recoil energy of a lower velocity .22 round although this particular one really hates the Winchester ammo despite it being above that 1200 fps threshold…
I do not entirely trust the firearm as a carry piece, but when I do carry it the mags are full of Stingers.

5 Likes

@JoeFridaySays

Interesting about the Winchester ammunition as I have had issues with it in various .22 auto loaders to the point that I don’t buy it anymore.
I have experienced much better reliability with CCI, Federal and Aguila brands.
I have a Sig 1911-22 that will only function reliably with High Velocity ammo. Seems like this little Ruger shares the same traits.

5 Likes

I have had one for several months
No issues in about 600 rounds.
Of course I have only used high velocity rounds through it with uber reliability. I have the kel tec cp33 and it requies high velocity rounds , so that’s all I have on hand.
Even the remington bulk gold gave me no problems with the lcpII. No resrvations carrying if need be.

You may want to do what cmmg recommends to help with barrels for FTF.

3 Likes

@Silverback Worth a try. Is that done from the breech (feed ramp end) of the barrel?

1 Like

Yup… dont go to deep. Just chamber area.

1 Like

That looks like a .22LR adapter for an AR and the video shows the bore brush going in from the barrel end, not the chamber. I have one of these and it’s easy to take apart for cleaning so I don’t see why they’d go from front to back - I certainly wouldn’t.

Incidentally, these little adapters are really fun and could save a lot of money at the range. I say could because a box of .22 somehow disappears really fast - one of the few times an R.O. had to tell me to slow down. LOL Their main weakness is the magazines - the followers feel “gritty” and the mag can’t be disassembled. I got the adapter and three 25-round mags from Brownells.

1 Like

Yes that’s for the adaptor. But for regular barrels you spin brush the chamber area. It helps to clean out and smooth any small burrs.

3 Likes

That has been my experience as well. On the other hand, my Mark IV 22/45 reliably eats anything I feed it.

3 Likes

@JoeFridaySays

Ha! My wife has the very same pistol and it will consume every brand of ammunition with no problems and so will my S&W Victory.
Both very solid platforms.

4 Likes